• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Simple problem, seeking simple solution stereo tv audio

Jds81

Hi all,
I am trying to keep a small space very simplistic. I have a Fire TV Omni, recently purchased. The audio downmix to stereo is very poor to my ears, frequently I am barely able to hear dialog, while sound effects and music are overly loud. I think this is variable per TV, as an older LG had perfectly acceptable audibility.
Now, I have connected my Audioengine A5+ powered speakers to the 3.5mm audio output and tried to force stereo mixing out of the TV. Slightly better or worse now depending on the content, and now SFX will rumble the media center and floor when the mix is especially bad.
I want to keep it simple here, just rather spend money elsewhere and adhere to my current small apartment situation. I have tapped out all available settings on the TV, dialog enhancements etc. Is there a simple way to get the audio into a mixer or processor to get a better mix, enhancing the center channel audio for stereo output?
I know there are solutions with a pre/pro, reciever etc. Hoping to avoid going down that road.
Maybe hdmi audio extractor and a small mixer? Ideally I would like a hdmi audio extractor with some processing built in, but I think I am too niche on that wish.
Soundbar is a consideration, but hoping I can just use the speakers I have.

TLDR, is there a cheap solution to getting better stereo audio out of a Smart TV, assuming the TV does not have adjustability itself?

Plcamp

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I use a (tiny) topping e30 off (Sony) tv optical out as a preamp into a small power amplifier. You could go direct to the powered speakers.

SQ is far better than trying to use a tv analog out. You need to set tv to “pcm out” in its control panel for optical audio. Volume control by tv won’t work, but will from DAC volume control.

Also has the advantage that tv and audio system are not electrically connected so noise isn’t there.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
I don't know... 99% of the time I'm listening to my TV's built-in speakers and the sound is "fine" but not "music quality". They have no bass but the bass causes the metal cabinet to vibrate so I turned down the bass and I turned-up the treble. There's probably too much treble but it helps with intelligibility and it's no-good for music anyway.

When I'm using surround sound on movies, sometimes the sound is too dynamic and the dialog gets too quiet if I don't have the volume turned-up but I don't notice that with the TV speakers. (When the dialog is too quiet I usually just turn it up... I haven't bothered with the the DRC setting on my receiver.

OP
J

Jds81

I use a (tiny) topping e30 off (Sony) tv optical out as a preamp into a small power amplifier. You could go direct to the powered speakers.

SQ is far better than trying to use a tv analog out. You need to set tv to “pcm out” in its control panel for optical audio. Volume control by tv won’t work, but will from DAC volume control.

Also has the advantage that tv and audio system are not electrically connected so noise isn’t there.
I do think that the Fire TV series may have just exceptionally bad audio. My 2 Dacs are usb only, or I would have already tried those over the headphone out. I am looking to update my headphone rig (that's where I'd rather spend) so might try the DAC for better quality
I don't know... 99% of the time I'm listening to my TV's built-in speakers and the sound is "fine" but not "music quality". They have no bass but the bass causes the metal cabinet to vibrate so I turned down the bass and I turned-up the treble. There's probably too much treble but it helps with intelligibility and it's no-good for music anyway.

When I'm using surround sound on movies, sometimes the sound is too dynamic and the dialog gets too quiet if I don't have the volume turned-up but I don't notice that with the TV speakers. (When the dialog is too quiet I usually just turn it up... I haven't bothered with the the DRC setting on my receiver.
I have no problem with most TV speakers for just basic audibility. I should have know better, as I had a Fire TV a few years ago, same story with audio and I got a soundbar to resolve.
I am thinking there is no magic box for my specific situation, just hoping maybe there would be.

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Don't be too quick to dismiss the soundbar option, connected via TOSLINK, because for small spaces and modest listening levels, they can deliver a big sonic upgrade without a lot of added clutter or hassle. One thought is something like Roku Streambar, connected via TOSLINK optical cable, ignoring additional streaming functionality.

Top Bottom