• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Simple out of your head experiment: How EQ can change the soundstage (?)

PingWine

Edit: Watch this video with headphones to get the full effect

This video is a simple experiment where I used one of HeSuVi's HRIR profile, "ooyh0.wav"
I was really fascinated how realistic this particular HRIR profile sounded so I thought to test it with some music. (You can hear in the video when the effect is on and when I switch it off)

I don't really understand how it works to be honest, but from what I can tell, HeSuVi only alters the EQ of the playback

This is how the EQ looks like in EqualizerAPO:
1613326111284.png

If you understand what is happening here, feel free to comment down below because I'd love to know why it sounds so believeable (though a bit artificial).

Last edited:

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

This video is a simple experiment where I used one of HeSuVi's HRIR profile, "ooyh0.wav"
I was really fascinated how realistic this particular HRIR profile sounded so I thought to test it with some music. (You can hear in the video when the effect is on and when I switch it off)

I don't really understand how it works to be honest, but from what I can tell, HeSuVi only alters the EQ of the playback

This is how the EQ looks like in EqualizerAPO:
View attachment 112527

If you understand what is happening here, feel free to comment down below because I'd love to know why it sounds so believeable (though a bit artificial).
I think it simulates room reflections somehow. I also used some APO plugins with headphones, to have a binaural experience, and was surprised that it was only the FR that was modified.

OP
PingWine

PingWine

Here's another snippet for those who like to rip and tear :p

Ps. IMO this effect works very well with this track

Edit: I may or may not have accidentally left a little bass boost to this particular video xD

Last edited:

Yasuo

That's not EQ, but rather Impulse/Convolution.

paulraphael

That's not EQ, but rather Impulse/Convolution.

There's an attempt at explaining it here.

There are some spatial things that can be done with EQ, but nothing as dramatic as what you hear with this particular effect.

Some modern digital EQs (along with compressors and other effects) allow you to switch from left/right 2-channel mode to center/side channel mode. Basically, this creates a center channel comprised of information that's common to the left and right channels, and side channels comprised of information that's unique to each. You can then apply separate eq curves to the center and side channels.

This can be used to widen the soundstage, to compress it, or to make it weird. It's designed to solve specific problems, but if you don't really know what you're doing, you can create some seasickness-inducing effects.

Haint

The spatially processed version sounds like a loudspeaker recorded from 10 feet away in a highly reflective room. I don't get any sense or cues of being in a room or space, it simply sounds like a bad recording of speakers in a bad room.

Last edited:

audio2design

Major Contributor
The ear/brain uses many frequency based cues for positioning sounds, in addition to volume, timing, presence of reflections, etc.

SamuelReyes

I think it simulates room reflections somehow. I also used some APO plugins with headphones, to have a binaural experience, and was surprised that it was only the FR that was modified.
I have managed to record some SRS WOW (which is a psychoacoustic audio technology) hrir impulses to Hesuvi, I really recommend you to try these impulses because although it doesn't give the illusion of reverberation, it has a good 3d stereo position for your headphones or speakers. And the truth is that it has something similar to a very old technology called "Qsound". If you are going to use this hrir boost set it to 48000 hz so it will be heard without clipping.

Top Bottom