• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Simple HT set up question

sophie smith

Greetings,

I am looking for a simple HT in my room, about 22x15x8 feet (about 3x5x2.7 meters).
For many reasons, I cannot run the wires to the surround (rear) speakers. I also prefer not to have AVR.
So, my options are limited.
1. Sound bar with wireless rears and sub (sub would power the rears).
2. Pair of powered bookshelf (not floor-standers) speakers with sub out. I do have a nice sub that I can put up front and connect to the speakers via a cable.

I think #2 is a better option overall, but not sure. Ideas welcome.
Also, need recommendation for option #2. As I said, I have a sub. Are there any good measuring/performing speakers you would recommend? Any options with built-in DSP so that I can try to replicate surround sound with 2.1 system?
Not looking for anything pricey, ideally under $500/pair. US/Western made would be a plus, but not necessary (just personal preference).

Thanks a lot.

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
You not really looking for a HT.
Just get the soundbar and call it done

OP
S

sophie smith

Are there any powered speakers with sub out AND surround sound DSP?

Bear123

Addicted to Fun and Learning
How about the Sonos sound beam, sell your sub, get the wireless Sonos sub, and add actual surround speakers via Sonos. You can't get surround sound from a speaker in front of you. This would be a very neat and clean installation with no wires other than power cables and should sound pretty good. I'm not aware of powered speakers with a sub out. How about a Yamaha WXC-50 and a pair of JBL 305P MKII? This would be close to budget.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How about the Sonos sound beam, sell your sub, get the wireless Sonos sub, and add actual surround speakers via Sonos. You can't get surround sound from a speaker in front of you. This would be a very neat and clean installation with no wires other than power cables and should sound pretty good. I'm not aware of powered speakers with a sub out. How about a Yamaha WXC-50 and a pair of JBL 305P MKII? This would be close to budget.
Some great suggestions. Sonos would be very clean solution. In our vacation house I have a play base and the sonos sub. It actually sounds pretty good. It is pricey for what it is. You would get better sound with the 305P or 308P MKII. I am using the 308P MKII in my home theater right now. They sound very good. Be aware that there is some hiss with the 305/308’s. My seating distance is 12-13 feet which is not audible to me. For me around 5-6 feet isn’t an issue. Good luck.

Top Bottom