• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Simple HiRes setup?

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I guess I left out some details so as not to hijack the OP's thread. The speakers that I bought are Emerald Physics CS2.7's and they do not have a Xover between the LF and the HF. When they were new they shipped with an active Xover but that was lost by the time I bought these speakers. So I use the MiniDSP Flex as an active Xover, DSP, and eventually DIRAC as well.
Thank you for clarification. Good luck. :)

OP
J

jweaksnc

Update if anyone is curious: the WiiM Mini and the SMSL DO100 arrived. Easy to setup and my existing speakers sound better, a lot better I think.

Graham849

Forum Donor
Update if anyone is curious: the WiiM Mini and the SMSL DO100 arrived. Easy to setup and my existing speakers sound better, a lot better I think.
The Denon PMA600NE or AO-200 or SMSL A300 would all be great amps in this mix, good luck and enjoy the music!

Jim Shaw

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Looking for a simple setup to jump into HiRes and I'm finding the options confusing. I plan to buy a new amp and new speakers. I have Amazon Music, but I'm willing to look at other sources. My question is getting from the source to the sound and keeping that HiRes/best quality sound. It appears that I could do this...

If I bought something like a Denon PMA-600NE as my amp, then it has built-in Bluetooth and DAC, so that would be all I need, right?

New to this so I need KISS (Keep It Simple - I'm Stupid).
This is exactly what I do, with the same gear. The smartphone is not really in the audio loop -- it is used to select from Amazon Music, but then the WiiM picks up the stream and plays it. I use the WiiM app on my Pixel 5A to select AMHD music.

I use AMHD > WiiM Mini > optical out to Denon PMA600NE > passive speaker pair. This works fine, although the Denon internal optical-in DAC usually maxes out at 24/96kHz. It might have to do with my optical cable. Still, it's far better than my speakers or ears.

An added benefit is the Denon has a front panel output for headphones. Plus it has 2 optical inputs, so there's one for a TV. I have a BluRay player feeding audio into the Denon coax input. Also, there is a MM turntable input, a subwoofer output, and tone controls plus a remote control. Its output is suitable for 4-ohm (and slightly lower) to 8-ohm speakers. But you might find its output power a bit limited for a large room or high SPLs. I use mine in a large bedroom. SPLs are generally lower than 92 dB @ 1 meter.

The Denon has been in use for over two years with no issues. It is always powered on (for convenience) and in standby consumes little AC power.

Have fun.

Last edited:
Top Bottom