• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Similar sensitivity, Way different perceived loudness?

frimincoffee

Hello.

I did some trial and error to match loudness of headphone with Peace(Equalizer APO) preamp

by
1. Using can's sensitivity(db/1Vrms) spectification and headphone power calculator.
2. Preamp to match my SPL target
3. Adjust non-preamp-ed volume to match my SPL target

It is not accurate, but I'm pretty satisfied what I did.

But when I try the same thing with IEM that I did with headphone,
its sound way louder so I had to adjust preamp setting by add -6db.
I know my dac/amp do not have some kind of high/low gain caused by impedance of can.

It really not a problem but this experience got me thinking

: With my short-knowledge speculation, the 'sensitivity' means how much SPL driver can make with 1 Volt.
Then what I should do with the differences of headphone and IEM to get similar loudness level I perceive?
Is this all about how driver close to eardrum?

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor

OP
F

frimincoffee

So my thought about sensitivity was wrong!
Then why I had such a noticable difference? Because the manufacturer are different?
By the way I did some test with Sennheiser HD560s(110db/V) and 7hz Salnote Zero(108db/V)

edit : I'm terribly sorry, my dac/amp has some of output power change when impedance is different.

Last edited:

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
If the measurements are done on the same set-up they should be comparable. Measuring SPL output from a headphone isn't as straightforward or reliable as something like a voltage measurement so I'd expect some differences with different manufacturers. Even the same manufacturer might use a different setup with headphones & IEMs.

And sensitivity is usually measured at 1kHz so frequency response differences can make a difference with music or other program material.

I know my dac/amp do not have some kind of high/low gain caused by impedence of can.
It's possible for a low impedance load to "drag down" the voltage making it lower than "expected". But usually it's the IEMs that are lower impedance so they would be quieter than expected.

OP
F

frimincoffee

It's possible for a low impedance load to "drag down" the voltage making it lower than "expected". But usually it's the IEMs that are lower impedance so they would be quieter than expected.
Thanks. In this case IEM was louder, guess it is a measurement difference and I have to adjust by my ear.

Top Bottom