• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Silly question about my living room and kitchen.

mightycicadalord

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I thought this was the perfect place to ask this.

One thing I've noticed about my house that frustrates me, is how sound from my living room to my kitchen and vice versa, just drops like a rock once it passes the doorway separating the two.

Love to play music in the living room nice and loud and love to cook, but the tunes just don't carry into the kitchen. Conversation are basically impossible without raising your voice quite a bit, and you have line of sight with the listener.

It's a standard size residential door, was just curious about the science behind why sound drops off so much between the two spaces.

Dal1as

Get an index card, place a pencil sized hole in it, place it to your ear. Same idea.

Katji

Major Contributor
Love to play music in the living room nice and loud and love to cook, but the tunes just don't carry into the kitchen. Conversation are basically impossible without raising your voice quite a bit, and you have line of sight with the listener.

Mine works ok, kitchen and bathroom, but the microwave and the kettle obliterate it.
Conversation, probably not.

nIId5iA.png

-Matt-

Have you considered using an AVR with multi-zone, then adding some small speakers (perhaps ceiling ones) in the kitchen?

Neddy

Try local monitors!
I had the same issue, tho TV audio only - so bought a couple of wireless speakers & placed them on top of the fridge. They have their own remote in the there, so on/off/volume as needed.
In my case, I'm running TV audio (OTA only) to vintage JBLs via TV analog out to a Loxjie A30 amp, and just connect TV Out to the wireless sender via y-cables at the Loxjie input...which gives me independent volume control in either location.
Of coruse, there are many other ways of doing this, but snagged a couple of these really cheap years back and they work surprisingly well.)
(For the main music system, I can just spin one of my surround monitors around and point it into the kitchen, while cooking...or just Dial It UP.
o_O

Top Bottom