• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Significance of Gain Adjustment (NAD C298+RME ADI)

Mehdiem

Hello folks, I am using RME ADI-2 FS as a DAC/Preamp feeding my power amp NAD C298.

My amp has a gain control from -20dB to 0dB. In my current setting, I kept the amp gain at 0 and my RME volume is around -40 to -50 db.

Im wondering if it’s better to lower the gain in my amp and increase the volume from RME? What be the significance of this change? Would it help to have a better sound stage? I tried playing around with it but I couldn’t form a conclusive opinion.

How would you set it?

Sokel

Master Contributor
What -20 to 0?
As far as I know it has two gain settings,at x20 gain and at x8.5 gain.
Has something changed?

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
As long as you don't feed to high voltage into the amp set its gain to -20 dB and increase the RME's ouput accordingly. This leads to better S/N on the connection.

OP
Mehdiem

Mehdiem

As long as you don't feed to high voltage into the amp set its gain to -20 dB and increase the RME's ouput accordingly. This leads to better S/N on the connection.
How to I know if the voltage is high or not? I connected NODE to feed RME, and this is all my setup.

Btw, what S/N stands for?

OP
Mehdiem

Mehdiem

What -20 to 0?
As far as I know it has two gain settings,at x20 gain and at x8.5 gain.
Has something changed?

Attachments

• IMG_6715.jpeg
    IMG_6715.jpeg
    575.9 KB · Views: 99

Sokel

Master Contributor
Has a variable setting too?
I confess I didn't know that.
The best way to do it is to set it to fixed Low and control level by the RME.
That's also the safest way as long as level is enough for you.

Top Bottom