• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Signal to noise ratio for loudspeakers?

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
SNR infinite.

edit: I’m sure the atoms make noise. How much though..
Not Infinite but pretty high. There would be Johnson (thermal) noise of Vrms=(4kTR )^(1/2) from the voicecoil and crossover components. It would be way below audible and difficult if not impossible to measure acoustically.
k= Boltzmann's constant
T= Temperature in Kelvin
R= Resistance

See wiki:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnson–Nyquist_noise

Pluto

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
This noise will show up in the distortion spectrum, as a raising in the noise floor, as the noise is not harmonically related to the sound being produced or the harmonic distortion created…
I'd have defined noise as “an output product uncorrelated to the input signal” and distortion as “an output product that bears correlation to the input signal”.

On this basis, I'd be inclined to suggest that any additional unwanted output product must correlate to the input signal (even if its quality is noise-like i.e. fairly wide band). While not thinking it through too deeply, I might suggest that this phenomenon could be what some speaker designers term “cone coloration”.

Top Bottom