• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sight Un-Heard

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I
Going to run up to road a few hours drive to check it out. Maybe I will be in bliss of some old Rush tracks soon. Now what about all this stuff in External DAC's and Transport devices like Blu Rays etc...? I suppose this is another space to dive into this site on - sweet!
Forget about external DAC's, the one built into the Integra 80.3 will handle all those needs just fine.

If you don't already have one, you will need a BluRay player for movies and 5.1 music albums.
When your ready, get the Sony UBPX800 or 80 series. It will play all the multich disc sources you might be interested in like SACD or DVD-A. They run about $200. Most of the other brands don't play these discs except Oppo, which no longer makes them and used prices are way too high.

OP
B

BigVU's

Forum Donor
Ok waiting to hear back from this person. Sounds like this may be a budget friendly step into HT-Separates for Audio and Movies. Cool. Though I am scared. Like what if I pick them up and bring them back and they don't work. I will be scarred for ever! Ok Ok so I am out 1200 bucks and maybe get some parts resale to soothe the wound. The thing apparently weighs 130lbs? What1?? Why? Does it make it any better than one that is 50lbs? I mean really?

There is a Maratnz AV7005 for decent price I have been looking at as well. About the same time frame as the Integra 80.3. And there are the MM7055's out there and in combo comes to roughly the same budget...

Or I just go with an AV8802 all in splurge. UGG!!!

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Ok waiting to hear back from this person. Sounds like this may be a budget friendly step into HT-Separates for Audio and Movies. Cool. Though I am scared. Like what if I pick them up and bring them back and they don't work. I will be scarred for ever! Ok Ok so I am out 1200 bucks and maybe get some parts resale to soothe the wound. The thing apparently weighs 130lbs? What1?? Why? Does it make it any better than one that is 50lbs? I mean really?

There is a Maratnz AV7005 for decent price I have been looking at as well. About the same time frame as the Integra 80.3. And there are the MM7055's out there and in combo comes to roughly the same budget...

Or I just go with an AV8802 all in splurge. UGG!!!

I told you that Proceed was a heavy box...;)
What it likely means in reality is that you are not likely to lack for power when you are pushing a few channels hard.
It's a good deal...don't stress.

OP
B

BigVU's

Forum Donor
Ok I am ready to do this. Just need the seller to get back to me!

OP
B

BigVU's

Forum Donor
Update: not that any one would care about these things unless you are like me scratching hifi with no budget. This deal with the proceed 5 and integra didn't happen. Eh well not sure lugging a 130lbs amp around would be for me anyway. Ha. So back to the search.

I did however pick up and old Panasonic 3500 DAT machine sight unheard. It arrived the other day and it works!!! Dug out those old studio mixes and teleported back in time.

I did find a sony ubpx800 for decent price. I hope it will work as well. People are very found of their 105 and 203 or 205 Oppos. So had to move on from that and get back to looking for pre/pros. Now for that pr cd recorder....

And ESSLabs is doing a flashback of the AMT1's - outside of my budget but there are some older versions out there. ugg the risk of rolling vintage equipment into the modern.

The dude at the hifi shop - if that's what we call them these days - said the biggest sound quality improvement in a system is the power conditioner and the speaker cables... well that's when I knew I wasn't in Kansas anymore. Yilkes

OP
B

BigVU's

Forum Donor
I've done it now. I stepped into a new system. 2500 budget. Ebay mostly, sight un-heard. Scary.

So I got my hands on a AV7005 Marantz, MM7055, Sony UBX800. Of course kept my Klipsch Ref 7's {4} + center and a sub. Any way, picked up an old DAT machine {for those old studio mixes we recorded). Also got an Alesis CD recorder to drop them on.

I am also waiting on the Hitachi 700MK - for the Big VU's to arrive.

Comparison listening tests from the old AVR and the separates are exactly what I was hoping and I am pleased, very pleased. There is a difference. The Pioneer 56txi was always good enough for me and still sounds good, but I am in a new space of sound system now.

There's nothing too fancy with AV7005 - other than it has balanced i/o's. I tried with and with out - the balanced is better. Tone seems better, hard to explain, i left EQ options flat for stereo play back. The separates just seem to bring it. Which is affirming and what I was hoping for.

I went through all my tunes - from classical to Rage Against the Machine and the updated sound system left me satisfied in the venture. I can get to absurd volumes with all genres before the sound turns into a melted wreck. Rush was a dream to hear on the system. The new rig just plays cleaner at much louder levels than the pioneer on a side by side. I tried some SACD's and found some really had me immersed and then some I was like uh... stereo sounded better.

Movies... hands down better in all ways sounded better with the AV7005. Of course the two being compared are years a part in release date and one is separates. None the less, the AVR is good but the new set brought things from parts of the scenes that had me glued. If one were to ask me now that I have done the taste tests, separates do make a difference.

Now when the vintage amp with Big Vu's gets here I am hoping the sound will stay where it is now or improve. Not expecting a big improvement but will be hoping there isn't a quirk with the sound. And I am so looking forward to those Big VU's.

From there, I am thinking I will experiment with speakers a bit. I do like the AMT's, well at least I think i do for now. Then a turn table, seeing how there are a lot of remasters now being stamped on plastic.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
BigVU, Good luck with your new system. I very much doubt you'll hear any differenct between the Marantz and Hitachi amps, shouldn't unless something is wrong with one or the other. Tried to look it up but can't find any info on the Hitachi amp?
Anyway enjoy!

OP
B

BigVU's

Forum Donor
Thank you Sir.

So far I am noticing a few things. I am hearing more of the recording differences in channels. Recording with more bass or more treble etc.. Things that didn't stand as much prior. Super cool and at the same time a bit frustrating on some of the songs. Ha! Because I can play at a much higher volume I suppose these can really stand out.

Classical Jazz is phenomenal with the Ref 7's and these separates compared to the Pioneer. Though Classical Jazz always sounded it good especially with horn type tweeters. The beats/min and attack of something like Audioslave and Classical Jazz are 2 completely different audio approaches. And the system handles them both very well - a few EQ adjustments and its dialed for either. Love that the Marantz has that option manual. I do wonder if there are quality mixing EQ separates that can be had? Once I get the mic for audeyssy I will experiment with that and report back on the SQ of my own settings. I am in open room so it would be interesting to see the improvement if any. Everyone seems to swear by it.

Going to research subwoofers for music 2.1 now. Want to add that second sub to the towers. I have a tight 8" front firing now. I don't like muddy bass as most don't I am sure. Concern while a larger subwoofer will enhance movies and lfe not sure I want it in music if it isn't snappy.

The Hitachi Amp is actually an HMA 7500MK2 (mosfet). 75W per channel. Nothing to write home about but has those Big VU's. If it sounds decent, it is bridgeable and I could get a second one for 150W per channel. The next step up is obviously expensive if it has VU's, accuphase, luxman, McIntosh or the ever illusive Yamaha MX 10000 or 2000 models.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
The Hitachi Amp is actually an HMA 7500MK2 (mosfet). 75W per channel. Nothing to write home about but has those Big VU's. If it sounds decent, it is bridgeable and I could get a second one for 150W per channel. The next step up is obviously expensive if it has VU's, accuphase, luxman, McIntosh or the ever illusive Yamaha MX 10000 or 2000 models.
Good luck with that search, there are a lot of big VU amps for sale on ebay.
Same for the Audyssey mic's, easy and cheap to buy on ebay.
A good pair of subs, calibrated with Audyssey will make a nice addition both for movies and music.
Cheers

OP
B

BigVU's

Forum Donor
So I got the Big VU's baby. This Hitachi 7500Mk2 is all that and a bag of chips. Wasn't expecting what I got and these bouncing needles are juicy. 30 year old amp still kicking - just wow! I am going to get another one and bridge these suckers for quad meters and 150W of yummy mosfet vintage ear lovin' in stereo (+sub). Like a Bobby Flay bone in rib-eye wrapped in bacon. That happy and surprised with this amp. OR maybe its the Big VU's that have me. Thank you ASR and the friendlies of the site!

So this did bring into question of what to do now with the 7055 5 channel. I have 2 open channels - Front L and R. Would routing the signal from the back surrounds to these and bi-amping them be a possible way to use them? I will do some research on the amp as well - I believe it is bi-ampable but the channels on the amp are labeled F L C SLB SRB which has me thinking they aren't or wouldn't work the way I am thinking.

I also realize I need to up my Subwoofer. I have always thought that for a tighter puncher and not so boomy or dispersed base blend for music the smaller woofer would be best. It has been good to this point but thinking a 12 or 15 may actually be possible with the new separates. Hmmmm....

Sight un-heard...

OP
B

BigVU's

Forum Donor
I just scared the pee out of myself. I finally got an itch to see what my set up could do when pushed. I thought for sure the cops were coming. 2112 in the raw. So clean so gripping! The reference had ability to go even higher but I reached my level of satisfaction and reassurance I was hoping for! Best I have heard and experienced in my home. Freaking Awesome! One thing I learned about my speakers is that they perform better when pushed! I felt it in my balls and there were no blurs or harsh blends just clean separate sound. Separates were the way to go.

Top Bottom