• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). There are daily reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sigberg Audio SBS.1 Active speakers prototype/build thread

TimVG

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Wish I knew that yesterday, didn't do the vertical measurements, and also not every 10 degrees all the way around (only 120-150-180). :) But thanks, useful to know, I may take you up on that offer for later measurements of our upcoming Manta.1 speakers if that's allright. :)

Sure thing.

OP
sigbergaudio

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Manufacturer
Forum Donor
I'm hapyp to share that our Sigberg Audio SBS.1 active speakers has now been reviewed in-depth at audioholics.com! :D

It's a thorough review covering everything from technical solutions and design choices, via listening impressions and of course measurements. So reading this review should give you a pretty good impression of the speakers.

Without spoiling too much, the total score ended at 4.5 / 5 :cool:

Read the full review here: https://www.audioholics.com/bookshelf-speaker-reviews/sigberg-audio-sbs.1-1

1651669994369.png

Last edited:

Rednaxela

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Congratulations on the great review @sigbergaudio. Also kudos for the courage to offer the world such a unique product. I hope many will find their way to their target market!

OP
sigbergaudio

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Manufacturer
Forum Donor
Congratulations on the great review @sigbergaudio. Also kudos for the courage to offer the world such a unique product. I hope many will find their way to their target market!

Thank you, I appreciate it! :)

OP
sigbergaudio

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Manufacturer
Forum Donor
For fun I thought I'd compare/overlay the measurements from Audioholics with our last round in the Klippel at Seas, and it looks pretty similar. Nice verification of accuracy on both parts.

Klippel is the thin green line in the upper part of the graph, while the thick lines are from Audioholics. The blue one is on-axis and comparable to the thinner green line from the Klippel.

1651694257482.png

OP
sigbergaudio

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Manufacturer
Forum Donor
A recorded live stream from Audioholics where they talk about the SBS.1 speakers are also available now :)

OP
sigbergaudio

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Manufacturer
Forum Donor
We've got some requests for an SBS center channel, and/or whether these are speakers that are suitable for home cinema systems or combined systems. And the answer is obviously yes. They're designed to play with a subwoofer and have great dynamic range. SBS.1 will do a great job in any channel in a surround system, including the center channel given the even vertical and horisontal dispersion. From a visual standpoint the SBS.1 isn't perfect for a center channel since it won't look 100% symmetrical when placed vertical, and additionally the cabinet has a slight tilt. You could of course place it slightly tilted so the baffle ends up straight, but still.

Soo, I'm toying with the idea of an LCR version of the SBS.1. Given the number of people with pretty high-end cinema / combined systems, the idea seems to have some potential. James over at Audioholics also mentioned several times in his review that a surround system with SBS.1 in all channels would be a killer setup.

So what I'm thinking is to design a symmetric version that can serve as a center channel placed vertically, and also as L/R when placed in the horizontal position for those who want even more power than the SBS.1 can provide. So you could have the LCR version either just in the center channel and SBS.1 in all others, or the LCR version in both front and center channels, and SBS.1 in rear/surround.

The LCR version would have the same drivers, but with an additional midbass driver. So a MTM (or MCM) configuration with a midbass driver on each side of the coax driver. It would likely be a pure 3-way (as opposed to 2.5-way in the SBS.1), and have a more powerful amplifier. It would probably be made available for sale as individual units, so one could order as many as one needs.

Interested to hear reflections and / or potential interest in such a speaker.

Rough sketch:
1654347791949.png

HooStat

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Makes sense to me. One other random, and maybe bad, idea. If it is a 3 way, then would the cross-over allow you to put the bass driver on the side or back? Probably the amp would get in the way. I was thinking that shorter would allow more people to orient all 3 speakers the same way. I always thought that something < 12" tall (but probably deep) would be a better solution for LCR than tall speakers. But given the relatively simple transition from your current model to the version you depict above, your solution makes the most sense.

OP
sigbergaudio

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Manufacturer
Forum Donor
Makes sense to me. One other random, and maybe bad, idea. If it is a 3 way, then would the cross-over allow you to put the bass driver on the side or back? Probably the amp would get in the way. I was thinking that shorter would allow more people to orient all 3 speakers the same way. I always thought that something < 12" tall (but probably deep) would be a better solution for LCR than tall speakers. But given the relatively simple transition from your current model to the version you depict above, your solution makes the most sense.

The amp takes up most of the space in the back, yes. If you want to have all speakers vertical, you could just use the SBS.1 I guess, they're just 41cm tall.

The SBS.1 LCR will probably be 50cm. And yes, it will be a relatively speaking moderate change from the SBS.1, so won't have to design everything from scratch.

Top Bottom