• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sigberg Audio SBS.1 Active speakers development thread

OP
sigbergaudio

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
As a manufacturer I just wanted to alert you to think about it, as a recommendation from you carries more weight.

Of course it might just be I'm over sensitive because I also once had a turntable stand that was similar, and almost knocked the whole thing over more than once. I don't know what Roksan were thinking.

Tall stands will by default be top heavy and inherently somewhat unstable. Not sure I see how a stand like the one recommended (with relatively wide feet) is significantly more unstable than a "normal" stand like for instance the one below. If you bump into that it will fall over just the same as a tripod would, if not even easier.

An advantage with the SBS.1 is that you can place it close to the wall, not way out on the floor, so the risk of bumping into it isn't that high to begin with.

1705347198354.png

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Was the consumption of alcohol a contributory factor?
Keith
No, I don't operate expensive machinery beyond a certain point, well not very often. The real danger is when you are fumbling around the back with cables on something next to them, or drop something down the back of them.

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
I've never been a fan of Tripod Stands, unless the base is unreasonably spread out / wide, much as you would see with Photography gear or an Easel...
Certainly they are easier to level... but a Narrow tripod can be tipped easily, too.

Same as with any stand, or even a Tower, if appropriate force is applied in the correct manner.

Good Stands for Stand Mount Speakers should be able to have weight added to them in a way that can allow one to lower the center of gravity.

Is anything perfect? Absolutely not.

But certain common sense steps can be taken to help ameliorate the greatest concern. Among them is filling the stand with Kiln Dried Sand or perhaps better still lead pellets or shot.
The general rule I've seen is to do so to about 2/3 the height of the tube being filled to aid in bringing the center of gravity down.

Placing any Speaker in a traffic area (like near a doorway) is almost certainly an invitation to possibly bumping it. Tower, Standpoint, doesn't matter. Care of ownership is always the most important consideration.

FWIW, I have Standpoints near a door. Yes, its a concern... But I've also done as I advise, which is to fill the stands and lower the center of gravity, level them so there is less inherent movement if bumped... and place a forcefield around them to deflect incoming unwitting humans! :p

Just my 2¢. :D

bogart

Forum Donor
Tall stands will by default be top heavy and inherently somewhat unstable. Not sure I see how a stand like the one recommended (with relatively wide feet) is significantly more unstable than a "normal" stand like for instance the one below. If you bump into that it will fall over just the same as a tripod would, if not even easier.

An advantage with the SBS.1 is that you can place it close to the wall, not way out on the floor, so the risk of bumping into it isn't that high to begin with.

View attachment 342152
@sigbergaudio If I wanted to wall-mount the SBS.1, would I need a wall-mounted shelf stand, or are there other ways of handling that well? I'm thinking specifically of preserving the design's slight tilt, as well as whether it provides enough space to use the DSP profiles provided. Thanks!

OP
sigbergaudio

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
@sigbergaudio If I wanted to wall-mount the SBS.1, would I need a wall-mounted shelf stand, or are there other ways of handling that well? I'm thinking specifically of preserving the design's slight tilt, as well as whether it provides enough space to use the DSP profiles provided. Thanks!

I think a wall mounted shelf stand would be the way to go. There are no mounting points on the loudspeaker itself. As long as the speaker is level (as it will be for instance on a shelf), the tilt will be preserved. And some space will be needed behind the speaker to be able to fit cables, so when you can fit those, you can also reach the button for the DSP as it is off to one side. You could perhaps find some cables with angled connectors, but I'd recommend keeping at least 5cm between speaker and wall to ensure the amp gets enough air.

The speaker itself is also more shallow (23cm) than most bookshelf speakers of similar size, so it should be possible to find a shelf that works. There are some wall mounts that are almost invisible when the speaker is on it.

Last edited:
OP
sigbergaudio

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Got some REW measurements from a customer with SBS.1 + two Inkognito 10s. This is the natural extension of the subs in his room, no additional lift, and only two EQ points below 100hz to even out the bass a bit.

I don't think you'll see a lot of floorstanders measure like this in-room, and he's got the pretty small SBS.1s, and two subs hidden away (one behind a floor plant to the right, and behind a sofa to the left). :)

1706733710925.png

Emlin

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Got some REW measurements from a customer with SBS.1 + two Inkognito 10s. This is the natural extension of the subs in his room, no additional lift, and only two EQ points below 100hz to even out the bass a bit.

I don't think you'll see a lot of floorstanders measure like this in-room, and he's got the pretty small SBS.1s, and two subs hidden away (one behind a floor plant to the right, and behind a sofa to the left). :)

View attachment 346473
Floor plants are obviously the way to go!

OP
sigbergaudio

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Just saw the review of the Kef R11 Meta, looked familiar. :)

Total early reflections (mentioned by Amir as being especially smooth), R11 Meta vs SBS.1:

419006711_1129639294834413_5830614123680776751_n.png

Listening window and DI pretty similar too:
418935392_378814465026280_5832456249937535142_n.png

I suspect I would like the R11 Meta. :)

Top Bottom