• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sigberg Audio Manta (12" wideband cardioid active speakers) development thread

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A white version of the Manta with grey ports and grille has been on the drawing board since before they were launched, and now we're finally building one to see how it looks. Looks pretty promising! :D Also considering a bright oak / or something similar instead of the walnut, so the contrast between white and wood won't be as hard.

Let me know if you're interested in the Manta in this color! :)

View attachment 356649
View attachment 356650
View attachment 356651
View attachment 356653
At least in pictures, I like those a lot better than the black ones. And I think the black ones look cool.

I also like the white-walnut contrast, and think white-oak would look too 1980s suburban American kitchen.

poopy

OP
sigbergaudio

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
At least in pictures, I like those a lot better than the black ones. And I think the black ones look cool.

I also like the white-walnut contrast, and think white-oak would look too 1980s suburban American kitchen.

Thank you! Yes, I haven't actually seen this in person myself yet, the pictures are from the cabinet manufacturer. So the jury is out until I have seen how it looks in real life and real light. :)

OP
sigbergaudio

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Agreed on the wood contrast, something lighter than walnut may look more elegant. I find matt colours best (no issues with fingerprints). The material used for the ports looks different (mesh type). Have you experimented different types of mesh?

Yes, the current Mantas have stiff felt behind the ports, while this new approach is a coarse fabric. Depending on how this looks and works in practice, the black ones will probably also revert to this solution. It will then have the same texture as this but in black. Actually toyed with the idea of going with this grey color on the black ones too, might look pretty cool - but the ports will be significantly more visible of course. So your new pair will have this probably, and you can choose between black and grey if you like. :)

poopy

Yes, the current Mantas have stiff felt behind the ports, while this new approach is a coarse fabric. Depending on how this looks and works in practice, the black ones will probably also revert to this solution. It will then have the same texture as this but in black. Actually toyed with the idea of going with this grey color on the black ones too, might look pretty cool - but the ports will be significantly more visible of course. So your new pair will have this probably, and you can choose between black and grey if you like. :)

But beyond the look/colour/texture, I'd expect some changes in the radiation effects. Wouldn't the stiff texture imply less energy radiated?

OP
sigbergaudio

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
But beyond the look/colour/texture, I'd expect some changes in the radiation effects. Wouldn't the stiff texture imply less energy radiated?

Looks are deceiving, it is not stiff at all. It is literally loudspeaker grille fabric that are inside out to get a more interesting visual appeareance. It is thin and super flexible.

OP
sigbergaudio

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Sorry for cross-posting this, I keep posting in the wrong thread (the measurements thread). :confused: Meant to post this in this thread:

World's first Manta in satin white is now assembled. :D
index.php

index.php

The question now is what ratio of black vs white color will be ordered. :oops: - would be happy to hear what people would prefer (if you were in the market for this speaker).

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
The question now is what ratio of black vs white color will be ordered. :oops: - would be happy to hear what people would prefer (if you were in the market for this speaker).
They are big boxes, and big black boxes always take a lot of room and presence. White works with everything no matter what other wood you have in the room. So for me, a clear vote for the white.

D!sco

All of my DIY speakers are white for the reasons stated above. I would only use black in a dark room, like a dedicated theater or mounted to walls or pillars. A nice veneer would suit these well, though I think the slots would be particularly difficult. With the side slots you can't even get away with the typical easier vinyl cut by leaving the baffle painted and wrapping the sides. Accomplishing a good vinyl wrapping would be very impressive, from a technical perspective.

OP
sigbergaudio

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
All of my DIY speakers are white for the reasons stated above. I would only use black in a dark room, like a dedicated theater or mounted to walls or pillars. A nice veneer would suit these well, though I think the slots would be particularly difficult. With the side slots you can't even get away with the typical easier vinyl cut by leaving the baffle painted and wrapping the sides. Accomplishing a good vinyl wrapping would be very impressive, from a technical perspective.

We're actually planning to do just that with the upcoming Saranna speaker. Real wood veneer not vinyl, as we have on the bottom of the Manta as well. Likely the painted baffle and veneer on the sides, but as you say there are cardioid ports.

We haven't decided on the approach yet. The most likely idea right now is to leave a rounded rectangle around the ports painted, meaning no veneer between the ports. So visually you will get a rounded, black rectangle on each side, and when you look closer, you will see that within that darker area there are actually two ports. The current prototype just use plain mdf on the side panels and colored mdf on the baffle to get a rough impression of the combination between painted baffle and veneered sides.

index.php

The veneer of the bottom part of the Manta. The bottom is a separate part with a distinct edge/gap between them, giving an impression of a solid slab of wood at the bottom:
1713553009049.png

D!sco

I have a whole new pile of posts to read, now. See you in the Saranna thread!

OP
sigbergaudio

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Rough in-door measurement, but just to show the difference: I've been focused on creating a grille with a thin, light frame and acoustically transparent fabric (this is the same for both Manta and the SBS.1).

Here is with and without grille on the Manta, measured somewhat off-axis. The differences are very small, and no bad diffractions caused by the grille anywhere. So you can sleep relatively sound at night even if you choose to keep the grille on while listening. :)

1713866765053.png

Top Bottom