• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sigberg Audio Manta (12" wideband cardioid active speakers) development thread

OP
sigbergaudio

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
First iteration of the MANTA.1 playlist is ready. :)

As with our other playlists, there are a decent amount of Norwegian / Scandinavian music, and relatively varied from a genre perspective. There's an overweight of pop / modern music, as our products isn't primarily created for those listening to the reverb from Tibetanian munks and their
castanets ("where the munks got their castanets no one knows, as they usually don't play those, which what makes the recording so interesting!") :p:D

Jokes aside, the list doesn't contain just tracks with perfect recording quality, but/and I think people may find many interesting tracks here to test their system. Enjoy! :)

"Sigberg Audio MANTA.1 Dual Cardioid Development playlist"
Music used to test and develop the Sigberg Audio MANTA.1 Dual Cardioid Active speaker!

Spotify:

Tidal:

OP
sigbergaudio

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Sometimes I get fascinated about how easy it is to hide our Inkognito subwoofers. Here I've got an Inkognito 10 hidden BEHIND the acoustic panels on the left wall. :) The USB-cable I'm using to configure and tune it is all that's giving it away. :D.

1645992722302.png

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hehe, no it's a built-in semiautomatic stand. You can sit by the Klippel computer outside of the room and spin it by entering the required degrees on a control-thingy. This is a pretty old setup and room, which is why it looks a bit worn. Seas has been around for a while. :)

It's a reasonably large chamber, precise to around 65hz according to Seas.
May I ask why an anechoic chamber is used when using a Klippel system, whose USP is measuring in ordinary chambers?

OP
sigbergaudio

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
May I ask why an anechoic chamber is used when using a Klippel system, whose USP is measuring in ordinary chambers?

Well, this is at Seas, and they've had this chamber for decades. Way before there was a Klippel system. But I guess the software is useful for the measurements anyway. :)

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, this is at Seas, and they've had this chamber for decades. Way before there was a Klippel system. But I guess the software is useful for the measurements anyway. :)
Understood.

I have been to that chamber in early 90s. I was a customer.

TimVG

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Klippel as a brand has many products. SEAS is not using the nearfield scanner as used by ASR.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Have you sent samples to Amir for testing?

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Klippel as a brand has many products. SEAS is not using the nearfield scanner as used by ASR.
I understand now. Thank you.

OP
sigbergaudio

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Have you sent samples to Amir for testing?
Not at this time, no. First U.S reviewer will by Audioholics. May be forwarded from there.

To be completely honest the review threads on ASR are somewhat frightening, with lots of people who think they know how to read measurements and with very little nuance.

So even with a good product it's hard for a new manufacturer like us to know whether getting a review here will be a good or a bad thing.

dc655321

Major Contributor
To be completely honest the review threads on ASR are somewhat frightening, with lots of people who think they know how to read measurements and with very little nuance.

So even with a good product it's hard for a new manufacturer like us to know whether getting a review here will be a good or a bad thing.

I can empathize with your sentiments (re: tough crowd), but if your product is well engineered you have little to fear.

Even if an NFS measurement reveals issues, would you not use that data to better the prototype?

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I can empathize with your sentiments (re: tough crowd), but if your product is well engineered you have little to fear.
If i was a manufacturer I'd not be concerned about the tough but fair criticism, because as you say you those issues can be addressed to make a better product, the real issue is with incorrect criticism, how many people would rant at these for having no bass, completely missing the design goal, and then the thread descend into pointless back and forth, there is much more of this than is helpful here. I see this an issue for the site, but I don't have a solution.

HooStat

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The good news about your particular case is that you have been very up-front about the use-case for these speakers. Many times the incorrect criticism is a result of someone criticizing a speaker for another use. But unfounded criticism even happens to Genelec speakers on this site.

For this particular speaker, I think the measurements will be more important than usual. Perhaps Erin's site is a better choice depending on how Audioholics goes.

OP
sigbergaudio

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
We will see. :) For now, they are still many months away from being ready for a review. But a new iteration with professional finish will be produced within the next month or so if all goes well, so there will be some progress, and photos of something a bit closer to the production version. :)

OP
sigbergaudio

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Quick update:

We will begin building new cabinets (the first iteration with professional finish) on Monday if all goes according to plan. Will share some build pictures along the way. :)

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
No! Not ASR members! LOL You mentioned what I cringe about sometimes. People will take Amir's charts and make huge giant leaps in extrapolating what it means and how the item will sound etc. If you are not a manufacturer it is funny to watch but if it is your product it is scary as can be!

HooStat

They look really nice. I am looking forward to seeing how these progress. Will you need a mesh of some sort over the slots to keep prying fingers out?

OP
sigbergaudio

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
They look really nice. I am looking forward to seeing how these progress. Will you need a mesh of some sort over the slots to keep prying fingers out?

At least for this iteration they will be covered with 2mm stiff, black felt that are attached (glued or stapled) to the cabinet from the insde, which should theoretically work quite well. Time will tell if that solution will make it to the production version. :) A metal mesh as you mention may be another option.

Ra1zel

Seems very promising as it truly is the only speaker that attempts cardioid radiation pattern but at the same time doesn't force itself to be full range.

Every other such design basically houses a dedicated subwoofer in the same cabinet and that doesn't seem that good of an idea. Certainly my dedicated sub will work better below 80hz anyway so speakers like D&D 8C or as of yet unreleased GGNTKT M3 try to serve me something that I don't need. Manta also has lower distortion than competition.

That would make Manta the most logical choice, only few things that concern me is the early tweeter roll of and its potential compression. Horns as used by GGNTKT make me more confident since those I know can play really loud without problems.

Top Bottom