• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). There are daily reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sigberg Audio: Building a "design" subwoofer that actually sounds good

OP
sigbergaudio

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Manufacturer
Forum Donor
After a long period of various delays related both to COVID-19 and other things, we finally have all versions of this subwoofer (so both Inkognito 10 and 12, and both Satin black and Satin white) in stock, and will ship within a week of ordering! :)

JDragon

I've had my Inkognito 12 for a few weeks now and have been very pleased with it. I originally bought it to replace my 15" PowerSoundAudio S1510DF but ended up connecting both just to see what it would sound like and have been so pleased with the result that I haven't been able to properly evaluate the Inkognito by itself. The PSA is getting disconnected in a few weeks to make room for some new furniture so I will be down to just the Inkognito then and will report back. I might need to get another Inkognito if bass performance suffers - having dual subs is quite addicting, and the Inkognito's form factor lets me place it where an enormous cube doesn't fit. Bonus points for the Inkognito's finish looking fabulous and luxurious. Satin black really means satin here!

This was my subwoofer's in-room response prior to the Inkognito, measured/corrected using Audyssey:

1619721118257.png

This is with the Inkognito installed along with my old subwoofer:
1619721144965.png

ai1

Sorry, this is quite out of topic but a request for Sigbergaudio expertise. The question was already discussed a bit in this thread (cf. #43-44 above). Well, building a shallow (sealed) subwoofer myself, I decided to use minidsp-pwr125 plate amplifier. Unlike hypex module, minidsp does not have vents in the backplate, and it looks like the enclosure should be vented to allow sufficient cooling of the amplifier. Unfortunately, I do not have access to machines to make vents in the amplifier backplate, implying that these should be drilled in the subwoofer back and front baffle or in the side plate.

My questions concern the “feasibility” of this solution:
  • how large should be vents? I have seen that the vents in the hypex backplate are quite small, so I expect that 5x100mm slots would do the job (PWR is 2x125w class D). Although the amplifier has its closed compartment, similarly to what is done with Incognitos, I am a bit afraid that this will compromise the “global” stiffness of the enclosure (305mm driver, 500x700x185mm dimensions with two braces between the baffles, 21mm birch plywood).
Would be happy to know your enlightened opinion on the matter.

OP
sigbergaudio

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Manufacturer
Forum Donor
Sorry, this is quite out of topic but a request for Sigbergaudio expertise. The question was already discussed a bit in this thread (cf. #43-44 above). Well, building a shallow (sealed) subwoofer myself, I decided to use minidsp-pwr125 plate amplifier. Unlike hypex module, minidsp does not have vents in the backplate, and it looks like the enclosure should be vented to allow sufficient cooling of the amplifier. Unfortunately, I do not have access to machines to make vents in the amplifier backplate, implying that these should be drilled in the subwoofer back and front baffle or in the side plate.

My questions concern the “feasibility” of this solution:
  • how large should be vents? I have seen that the vents in the hypex backplate are quite small, so I expect that 5x100mm slots would do the job (PWR is 2x125w class D). Although the amplifier has its closed compartment, similarly to what is done with Incognitos, I am a bit afraid that this will compromise the “global” stiffness of the enclosure (305mm driver, 500x700x185mm dimensions with two braces between the baffles, 21mm birch plywood).
Would be happy to know your enlightened opinion on the matter.

Perhaps the PWR125 is designed to function without vents, using the plate amp as a heatsink and heat transfer. Hard to say anything about the needed vents, but if you have 5x100mm below and above the plate amp, that is likely to be more than good enough.

The vents will not compromise the stiffness of the enclosure to any meaningful degree, so I wouldn't worry about that.

Reactions: ai1

ai1

Perhaps the PWR125 is designed to function without vents, using the plate amp as a heatsink and heat transfer. Hard to say anything about the needed vents, but if you have 5x100mm below and above the plate amp, that is likely to be more than good enough.

The vents will not compromise the stiffness of the enclosure to any meaningful degree, so I wouldn't worry about that.
Thank you very much for the prompt answer! The icepower board of minidsp pwr is mounted with its heatsink on the oposite side. I was thinking turning it over so it touches the backplate and adding some thermal compound between the sink and the plate. Yet, dsp board may also require some cooling, and venting slots in the enclosure seems to be less hassle, I will go this way.

OP
sigbergaudio

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Manufacturer
Forum Donor
Not a lot of updates here in a while, but all variants (Inkognito 10 & 12 in Satin white and Satin black) are in production and in stock. New product photos arrived recently as well, perhaps giving an even better impression of how these look than previous pictures. :)

Inkognito10-white3.png
Inkognito10-white4.png
Inkognito12-black3.png
Inkognito12-black4.png
Inkognito1012-black1.png
Inkognito1012-black2.png
Inkognito1012-white1.png
Inkognito1012-white2.png

Read more and purchase at https://www.sigbergaudio.no/products/dronn-101

deafenears

Forum Donor
Not a lot of updates here in a while, but all variants (Inkognito 10 & 12 in Satin white and Satin black) are in production and in stock. New product photos arrived recently as well, perhaps giving an even better impression of how these look than previous pictures. :)

View attachment 148793View attachment 148794View attachment 148795View attachment 148796View attachment 148797View attachment 148798View attachment 148799View attachment 148800

Read more and purchase at https://www.sigbergaudio.no/products/dronn-101
Beautiful...

OP
sigbergaudio

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Manufacturer
Forum Donor
For those who've been considering a Sigberg Audio product, we've got a 15% discount this weekend!

1637913536388.png

OP
sigbergaudio

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Manufacturer
Forum Donor
Here's a cool example of how flexible these subwoofers are. This awesome dedicated room has two Inkognito 12 subwoofers under the coach to even out the frequency response in the room (JL Audio subs and B&W 803 D4 in the front). :cool:

20FE0F9F-4A1B-42C7-9647-B09BF60DCFA3.jpeg
EAB71A41-FDA9-4EB4-8B1E-43E7C766EF4F.jpeg
717C6CAF-209C-4102-8821-748BFA450E73.jpeg

OP
sigbergaudio

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Manufacturer
Forum Donor
Quick update on shipping policy / pricing. We already had free shipping, but we are now changing our pricing policy so we now have fixed worldwide prices with shipping, tax and import costs included! This means full transparency and predictability for our customers wherever they may be.

So from today we dont only have free shipping worldwide, we will ship door to door with DHL and cover all taxes and import costs. The price you see is what you pay.

DHL will bill us directly, so there is no hassle on your end with paying and getting it refunded. Everything is prepaid by DHL when the product arrives. Feel free to contact me in DM here at ASR if you have questions about the ordering process or our loudspeakers and subwoofers! :D

OP
sigbergaudio

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Manufacturer
Forum Donor
A white Sigberg Audio Inkognito 10 has been reviewed by a Danish youtube channel for those who'd like to see a bit of video of these subwoofers. There's a lot of talking in this video (almost 40 minutes long), which doesn't make a lot of sense if you can't speak Danish, but there's a brief unboxing at ~08:50, a couple of stills between ~12:00-13:00, and some more video of it from around ~15:00. :)

This is a Bang&Olufsen oriented YouTube channel, so they're comparing it to the 4,500USD Beolab 19. The reviewer concludes that the Beolab 19 is smaller and looks better, but he'd rather buy the Inkognito as "It goes deeper, has more punch, cost less and can be hidden away from sight." :)

Olli

Forum Donor
That thing just looks too cool. I bought a budget Teufel T 4000 Flat Sub last week for my home office to go under my bed. It‘s been unfortunately disappointing in comparison to my other subs (JL E112, Rythmik F8 & F 18), despite proper DSP integration with Audiolense.

So I just couldn’t resist and pulled the trigger on an Inkognito 10 today. Although it is a bit over the top complementing my Adam artist 5 desktop monitors :)

Great website & order process, congrats on that already @sigbergaudio!

OP
sigbergaudio

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Manufacturer
Forum Donor
That thing just looks too cool. I bought a budget Teufel T 4000 Flat Sub last week for my home office to go under my bed. It‘s been unfortunately disappointing in comparison to my other subs (JL E112, Rythmik F8 & F 18), despite proper DSP integration with Audiolense.

So I just couldn’t resist and pulled the trigger on an Inkognito 10 today. Although it is a bit over the top complementing my Adam artist 5 desktop monitors :)

Great website & order process, congrats on that already @sigbergaudio!
Order received if you're based in Germany? Thank you for your order! I expect to ship your subwoofer early next week, will contact you via email.

Olli

Forum Donor
Order received if you're based in Germany? Thank you for your order! I expect to ship your subwoofer early next week, will contact you via email.
Sub arrived. Customs with DHL was a bit of a hassle - but the difference vs the „cheap“ wireless Teufel T4000 sub is dramatic. Built quality is excellent and FR was very good even before dialing it in with Audiolense.

It now sounds much closer to my other sub setups, but certainly you cannot compare it to 2 Rythmik F18 or 4 Rytmik F8 that I have in other rooms.

Despite the “upmarket” price - if you‘re after a non intrusive design sub that sounds great - I like it!

1652547599994.jpeg

1652547631866.jpeg

OP
sigbergaudio

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Manufacturer
Forum Donor
Thanks for sharing, @Olli :D

I see you are using Audiolense, which is Norwegian as well. :) Proper integration is important with subwoofers, looks like you've achieved that!

Top Bottom