• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Siegfried Linkwitz, famed speaker designer, passes away

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Sad news today. Still looking for more detail but apparently he passed away from stage 4 cancer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siegfried_Linkwitz

1536710960918.png

1536710992130.png

We lost one of our great speaker luminaries today. Rest in peace.

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
R.I.P.

Unfortunately, as we get older (I'm 76 y/o) we lose friends, acquaintances, and contemporaries every year. I wrote a post here at ASR on July 28 about Mr. LInkwitz' friend and former Audio Artistry loudspeakers business associate, Don Naples. While doing a bit of internet research for that post, I discovered that Linkwitz was suffering from terminal cancer. I encourage all who are interested in the man and his contributions to audio to read the below linked interview with Michael Fremer.

...Don Naples' speakers were designed by Siegfried Linkwitz, who like Amir, emphasizes having fun with audio. I never met the man, even though he was only a few years older than me - and like me - lived all of his adult life in Northern California. His website contains a wealth of information on his life, career, and involvement in the science of audio.

Unfortunately, it also contains a statement that Linkwitz is curently suffering from Stage 4 prostate cancer and in hospice care.

Here is a LINK to a July 18, 2018 Analog Planet post by Michael Fremer about his interview spring, 2017 with Linkwitz. As much as we joke about the unconventional LX Mini PVC pipe speakers, I wish I could have had an opportunity to listen to them, because they were designed and refined using real science. LInkwitz' work was indeed science based, and his website [LINK] is packed with interesting information. I find it fascinating and worth reading. I didn't get into the details, but Linkwitz seemed to be in the school of thought that MP3's couldn't possibly sound good, and like ASR, there is a juxtaposition of subjective and objective ideas and beliefs.

Reactions: trl

garbulky

Major Contributor
That's quite sad. I found the designs he was making very interesting. I was quite itnerested in his lx521 and lx mini speakers

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
RIP to a gentleman who contributed much to our enjoyment of music.

Burning Sounds

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I've belatedly learned of Siegfried's passing and am truly saddened. He gave his knowledge and time so generously to so many people. His LX521 speakers have expanded my musical horizons in a way that no other speakers have ever done and will continue to bring me musical enjoyment in the future. RIP Siegfried - you were a real innovator.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
RIP Siegfried.

One of the truly great goes ...

We need to see more young blood in this field ... Proper reproduction of something as important as Music cannot become a lost art ... The present state of High End Audio is appalling (to me at least). No advances, rehashing old and nonsensical ideas for consistently more money .. sideways move and poor designs are the norm in this sector...
Siegfried Linkwitz, however different his ideas might have been, did try and did apply Science to his designs. His interview with Fremer ( Thanks for the link BTW) was sweet: Here is a man on , literally, his death-bed, yet talking to an audiophile in a funny, self-effacing tone, remaining to the end enthusiastic about his craft ....
S.L. contributed a lot to the advancement of High Fidelity ... May he rest in peace...

His website http://www.linkwitzlab.com/ is a treasure trove of great writings and serious research about Audio reproduction. I will in a few weeks build at least the LX Mini .. if I like it then ....the LX 521.4 ...

derp1n

Someone should mirror his site before it disappears forever...

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
RIP Siegfried.

One of the truly great goes ...

We need to see more young blood in this field ... Proper reproduction of something as important as Music cannot become a lost art ... The present state of High End Audio is appalling (to me at least). No advances, rehashing old and nonsensical ideas for consistently more money .. sideways move and poor designs are the norm in this sector...
Siegfried Linkwitz, however different his ideas might have been, did try and did apply Science to his designs. His interview with Fremer ( Thanks for the link BTW) was sweet: Here is a man on , literally, his death-bed, yet talking to an audiophile in a funny, self-effacing tone, remaining to the end enthusiastic about his craft ....
S.L. contributed a lot to the advancement of High Fidelity ... May he rest in peace...

His website http://www.linkwitzlab.com/ is a treasure trove of great writings and serious research about Audio reproduction. I will in a few weeks build at least the LX Mini .. if I like it then ....the LX 521.4 ...
The engineers at Dutch and Dutch and Kii are young and using new ideas to great effect by all accounts.
I am satisfied with what I have and am too old to change now...

D

Deleted member 2944

The Linkwitzlab website has been taken over by SL's friend Frank Brenner. It will stay online indefinitely.
Also, for those interested, there will be a Celebration of Life for Siegfried in Mill Valley, CA on October 14th.
Dave.

DrTebi

Very sad!

I was at Burning Amp 2018, and, with all honesty... his speakers were the only ones that I really liked. I am a big fan of open baffle speakers, and have spent hours on his website. He will be missed.

Top Bottom