• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sibilance- the recording or my system

OP
Jerry Sobel

Jerry Sobel

Forum Donor
What were the old and new speakers? Are you applying correction above the Schroeder frequency?
Old speakers- Von Schweikert VR-6s. New speakers the VR-55 Active

I do apply correction above the Schroeder frequency. The correction is a downward slope of the frequency response

OP
Jerry Sobel

Jerry Sobel

Forum Donor
Yes, it might also be from the sudden directivity change between large mid and small treble drivers around the xover frequency. The workaround for that was the old BBC fairly narrow response dip at around 2,500 Hz, sometimes engineered into speakers and also (badly) into the default Audyssey target curve.

Also, though Jerry's speakers were changed, I wonder about hard reflections from walls or ceiling, unless he also changed the room, speaker position, etc.
My room has been well treated and that did help quite a bit but still certain recordings there is the dreaded sibilance.

OP
Jerry Sobel

Jerry Sobel

Forum Donor
On my first brief listening to it at random places in the album it sounds OK to me, but on the first track there is definitely something peculiar at about 18s in - does this happen at other places?
If you are referring to the Holy Cole album it occurs with certain songs. Tennessee Waltz which one of my favorite songs has it.

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
Listen to Dolly Parton’s (original) «I will always love you».

She skips the «s» in «always»; she sings «alway» most of the time, right?

Is that because she wanted to avoid s-sibilance? Are certain microphones more prone to creating s-sibilance artefacts?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Listened to a few snippets of tracks just now of the Holy Cole. No sibilance noted. The recording of her voice is quite closely miked. Sometimes it might edge in that direction, but is cleanly enough done I don't hear any sibilance.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If you are referring to the Holy Cole album it occurs with certain songs. Tennessee Waltz which one of my favorite songs has it.

Just listened to this track. Maybe once in the first few seconds for just a moment. Otherwise it gets loud at times, and yet doesn't sound sibilant more than at fleeting moments.

OP
Jerry Sobel

Jerry Sobel

Forum Donor
Just listened to this track. Maybe once in the first few seconds for just a moment. Otherwise it gets loud at times, and yet doesn't sound sibilant more than at fleeting moments.
The periods of sibilance are very short when she is singing.

Don Hills

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Mas Que Nada, by Sergio Mendes and Brazil 66.
Cymbals and tambourine should be clean and not splashy. The vocalists' 's' and 'sh' sibilants should be smooth and "liquid"and not rough or spitty. (This was also the sibilance test track on one of the test LPs, I forget which one.)

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
What is annoying sibilance? I guess it’s the kind of question that answers itself; you know it when you hear it...

So I listened to some SOTA DSP speakers a couple of days ago and S sibilance was easily heard during interview on this special album with artist comments before the song starts.

Go to track 4 «Om alle snakker sant» by Norwegian singer-songwriter Siri Nilsen. Track 4 is an interview.

The interview has been recorded using low quality gear; the noise is pretty high. But when I listened to this interview (in Norwegian) I heard annoying S sibilance on numerous occasions on the out-of house SOTA DSP speaker.

On my home setup, Genelec 8351, there’s no annoying sibilance, so this is obviously a gear-related issue.

So the question is: Do you hear the sibilance during the interview? Is hearing annoying sibilance in this case proof that you have SOTA speakers, or is it the other way round...?

https://tidal.com/album/11297808

OP
Jerry Sobel

Jerry Sobel

Forum Donor
What is annoying sibilance? I guess it’s the kind of question that answers itself; you know it when you hear it...

So I listened to some SOTA DSP speakers a couple of days ago and S sibilance was easily heard during interview on this special album with artist comments before the song starts.

Go to track 4 «Om alle snakker sant» by Norwegian singer-songwriter Siri Nilsen. Track 4 is an interview.

The interview has been recorded using low quality gear; the noise is pretty high. But when I listened to this interview (in Norwegian) I heard annoying S sibilance on numerous occasions on the out-of house SOTA DSP speaker.

On my home setup, Genelec 8351, there’s no annoying sibilance, so this is obviously a gear-related issue.

So the question is: Do you hear the sibilance during the interview? Is hearing annoying sibilance in this case proof that you have SOTA speakers, or is it the other way round...?

https://tidal.com/album/11297808
SOTA speakers? What does SOTA stand for?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
State Of The Art

garbulky

Major Contributor
Are you using a Saber DAC? I had issues with a glare to the sound over some implementations. I suppose that could make sibilance standout.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Are you using a Saber DAC?

I am, (ES9018) I can't fault the implementation here.

The manufacturer says of what you get from it, 10% is the DAC (chip), 90% the analog support.

It plays, I listen, that's about the extent of my interaction with it.

Last edited:

garbulky

Major Contributor
I am, (ES9018) I can't fault the implementation here.

The manufacturer says of what you get from it, 10% is the DAC (chip), 90% the analog support.

It plays, I listen, that's about the extent of my interaction with it.
Sorry, I was addressing the OP.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
We all forget who's talking to who here.

For me, if there's excessive sibilance here, it's on the recording.

The recording folks have lots to say about it.

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1...ndHZAhVQX60KHdd1BAAQBQgmKAA&biw=1128&bih=1359

I'd think it's an artifact of close miking of vocals.

Normally you don't place your ear right up to someone's mouth as they are talking/singing, but microphones often inhabit that location.

Did you play the Tidal track (interview) I referenced to?

The annoying SSSH-sibilance was very obvious on the SOTA DSP speakers, but not on my 8351s.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
I cancelled my Tidal subscription before the first month was up after reading some Jay-Z lyrics, and then getting a nice e-mail from Rihanna saying something about "Bitch Better Have My Money".

So, no.

You encouraged me to read some Jay Z lyrics. I’ve never heard him or read him before.

Fact is, I don’t understand his English.

I am surprised Americans do.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Top Bottom