• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Shutterbug, Sound&Vision, AVTech

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I know there are many camera guys here and probable Shutterbug subscribers also, so I thought I'd post this rant here.
A few days ago I got my (now bimonthly) copy of Sound&Vision, stuck on the cover was a address label that covered almost half the page. A paragraph explaining that if I was a Shutterbug subscriber, that magazine as a print publication was now defunct and subscribers would now receive S&V for the remaining term of their subscription as a alternate. (I bet you photography guys are thrilled about that).
I could be wrong and welcome correction but it appears that the photography hobby is dieing off in a very similar manner as HiFi and HT. :( The S&V magazine offered as a replacement went from a monthly pub to bimonthly a few months back and this months massive content is a total of 82 pages, the vast majority of which are advertisements. I didn't read anything inside the mag but wonder if they won't start covering photography topics now along with Audio and Video? A very sad chain of events we have witnessed over the last few decades with the latest visible bloodletting by new owners AVTech upsetting but understandable I guess, they wouldn't have done it if it was profitable. Shutterbug will continue as a web based publication but (at least to us older folk) there is just something about holding (and collecting) print copy magazines that is preferable. It really is a mess for some of us that have enjoyed reading the latest movements in the various interests over the years.
:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::confused:

Wombat

Master Contributor
I know there are many camera guys here and probable Shutterbug subscribers also, so I thought I'd post this rant here.
A few days ago I got my (now bimonthly) copy of Sound&Vision, stuck on the cover was a address label that covered almost half the page. A paragraph explaining that if I was a Shutterbug subscriber, that magazine as a print publication was now defunct and subscribers would now receive S&V for the remaining term of their subscription as a alternate. (I bet you photography guys are thrilled about that).
I could be wrong and welcome correction but it appears that the photography hobby is dieing off in a very similar manner as HiFi and HT. :( The S&V magazine offered as a replacement went from a monthly pub to bimonthly a few months back and this months massive content is a total of 82 pages, the vast majority of which are advertisements. I didn't read anything inside the mag but wonder if they won't start covering photography topics now along with Audio and Video? A very sad chain of events we have witnessed over the last few decades with the latest visible bloodletting by new owners AVTech upsetting but understandable I guess, they wouldn't have done it if it was profitable. Shutterbug will continue as a web based publication but (at least to us older folk) there is just something about holding (and collecting) print copy magazines that is preferable. It really is a mess for some of us that have enjoyed reading the latest movements in the various interests over the years.
:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::confused:

Agree.
It is impossible to fan a tablet to quickly find an item. Printed books and magazines don't need batteries/charging, don't need passwords, no scrolling, you can tear out the bits you want to keep, etc. :)

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi-fi is dead, what?

It's at least dying.

A stereo system used to be an average middle class man's 3rd biggest purchase after a house and car. How many people put that much money into it now? Too many other hobbies to compete with. Most of the money in audio is home theater and "lifestyle" products. AFIK, headphones are the only area of hifi which is growing.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Prosumer photography has exploded in size. I remember years ago I would be the only one with a half decent camera and lens. Only pros had high-end lenses. Now you can easily run into people with $10K+ setups. Digital has turbo charged photography since it has zeroed out the cost of consumables (film and print) and one can take many shots to get a good one. Before only pros could afford to do that.

What has died is print journalism. It is expensive to do and has long lead times. So it has fall out of favor. PC Magazine went all digital 10 or 15 years ago even though it was hugely successful as a print magazine for example.

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Now you can easily run into people with $10K+ setups. Digital has turbo charged photography since it has zeroed out the cost of consumables (film and print) and one can take many shots to get a good one. Before only pros could afford to do that.
What has died is print journalism.
Your probably right about print journalism, it seems to have died everywhere you look.
As to the $10k photog setups, I think you need to come back to earth and the real world. Most folks I know who used to have a decent camera for kids, vacations, etc now just rave about the great pictures their cell phones take. No need to spend a dime on a camera. ;)

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
As to the $10k photog setups, I think you need to come back to earth and the real world. Most folks I know who used to have a decent camera for kids, vacations, etc now just rave about the great pictures their cell phones take. No need to spend a dime on a camera. ;)
That is not the market that Shutterbug ever catered to. Those people either didn't use a camera in the past or used polaroid, instamatic, etc.

You had to be a photography enthusiast to know about Shutterbug and there, that market has exploded.

Top Bottom