• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Shure SRH440 Headphones

solderdude

Grand Contributor
What didn't you like about the 440s? A bit harsh? Crappy build? I love the sound but it has flaws.
Build quality and:
The sound is ‘warmish neutral’ with sharp treble up top. This is good for monitoring because you can pick out details more easily. For music enjoyment the treble is a tad too sharp at times.
Mids have a warmish neutral character. The sound is dynamic. Treble is not ‘refined’.
Bass doesn’t go deep but sounds full and accurate and quality is better than the SRH840 which is a bit bassier but also muddier/less well defined.

The K52,72 and 92 are really awfull. No clarity no upper mids. Just lows and treble. A lot of people will like that listening to crappy YT music though.

D

Deleted member 60987

The mic company? You mean Audio Technica or Shure? I have never heard a Shure headphone but I read good things about it for whatever that's worth. The Audio Technica are bulletproof I have been told.
Shure. AKG also makes great headphones. Supposedly they replaced the 440 with 440A which aren't as good. I got mine used off Ebay.
Build quality and:
The sound is ‘warmish neutral’ with sharp treble up top. This is good for monitoring because you can pick out details more easily. For music enjoyment the treble is a tad too sharp at times.
Mids have a warmish neutral character. The sound is dynamic. Treble is not ‘refined’.
Bass doesn’t go deep but sounds full and accurate and quality is better than the SRH840 which is a bit bassier but also muddier/less well defined.

The K52,72 and 92 are really awfull. No clarity no upper mids. Just lows and treble. A lot of people will like that listening to crappy YT music though.
I didn't realize the K52 were muddy and bland until I started getting other headphones. The AKG 361s are great though. Some of the smoothest bass I've heard as well as nice mids and highs.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Yes, 361 and 371 are completely different from the majority of other AKG headphones.

D

Deleted member 60987

Yes, 361 and 371 are completely different from the majority of other AKG headphones.
Well the K240 are very different than K52. A lot brighter. But they're also open, so that's no surprise.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Lots of poor quality treble peaking though.
Good for monitoring and that's what they were intended for.

D

Deleted member 60987

Lots of poor quality treble peaking though.
Good for monitoring and that's what they were intended for.
The 240s? I have them hooked to a keyboard for practice because, like the HD 280 Pro, they are no use to me recording or mixing. I use Superlux 681 for vocal tracking because if there is anything wrong, they will pick them up. 770s, M50X and 7506, 668B for reference. With a bunch of others on final mixdown. 560s, 361, SRH440, M50 Pro, SR850 and Philips 9500. Using 2 of these because they can actually handle 8 headphones if you use the 1/8th in addition to 1/4 inputs. Hardly audiophile quality but very versatile. Just got my second in the mail today:

Last edited by a moderator:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The 240s?
k240-fr.png

The 600ohm monitor version was slightly better.

fr-k240.png

Own both.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
And here measured on industry standard fixture but with non standard pads that reduce upper treble slightly:

index.php

D

Deleted member 60987

And here measured on industry standard fixture but with non standard pads that reduce upper treble slightly:

index.php
And people consider them studio headphones. No. Practice headphones for my keyboard unless I find another use for them. It isn't recording or mixing. Maybe someone intended a Harmon curve but was drinking on the job.

D

Deleted member 60987

The sound profile here doesn't look that bad:

D

Deleted member 60987

There neutrality rating and resale value is why I was considering selling them. Their sound is why I won't. Not to mention they aren't being made anymore in favor of the 440A:

Not to mention there is only one headphone out of over 2,000 that users liked better. The Mark Levinson 5909. Are they ideal for mixing? I don't think so. I wonder what the distortion is on 440s. But they are my favorite for listening. 361s could surpass them if they boosted the high end a bit, because their bass is so smooth. The 560s are very nice, but Sennheiser doesn't seem to believe in V shapes or sound separation. Just one smooth, wide midrange. Like they make headphones for people who don't want to be distracted by music. The 440s are pretty in your face.

Last edited by a moderator:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
10kHz +10dB (I measured +10dB at 10kHz as well)?

alumnicesar

does anyone know if dekoni's velour pads fit on this? or any aftermarket pads i guess. I heard the default pads suck for comfort

Top Bottom