• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Shure SRH440 Headphones

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
I've been looking for a new set of headphones in the <$200 range. Every once in a while, I'll peruse the ranking section of the compiled AutoEq results:

https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq/blob/master/results/RANKING.md

Right now the Shure SRH440 (currently $79) are the #2 ranked headphones out of almost 400 models.

Can anyone comment on the SRH440? There doesn't seem to be too much discussion about them yet here on ASR.

615Qr4sVODL._AC_SX679_.jpg

goldark

Forum Donor
The measurements are from Crinacle who rated the tone in the S range (higher than an A) but with technical abilities only in the C range for an overall grade of B. He had this to say: "Closest thing to Harman thus far. Comes with a small upper treble spike and lacking raw resolution"

Source: https://crinacle.com/rankings/headphones/

So tonality is fantastic but with only average technical ability - an overall steal considering the low price.

OP
infinitesymphony

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
The measurements are from Crinacle who rated the tone in the S range (higher than an A) but with technical abilities only in the C range for an overall grade of B. He had this to say: "Closest thing to Harman thus far. Comes with a small upper treble spike and lacking raw resolution"

So tonality is fantastic but with only average technical ability - an overall steal considering the low price.
That's great, I didn't realize there was an additional site. It's nice to have another experienced listener agreeing that adherence to a FR curve is only one piece of the puzzle. I'll spend some time browsing through crinacle's thoughts tomorrow.

These do seem to be a great value post-EQ. I wonder how they would compare with AKG K371, Audio-Technica ATH-M50X, and the other usual sub-$150 closed-back headphones.

Mike-48

I have not used those. I have a pair of SRH 840 (available now for about $129) and liked them very much when I used them for a couple of years at the office (I'm retired now). They provide a somewhat mellow and non-fatiguing sound with noticeable isolation from external noise (not ANC of course). I see Crinacle (new to me) rates them a bit higher than the SRH 440, so for something still in your price range and in the same family, you might consider them.

P.S. Just to be clear, it's not that I no longer like them, just that I rarely use headphones now.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Talking about that list, if I would be listening more often to headphones I would be tempted to test the Audio Technica ATH-R70x which has also an "S-" tone grade but a "A-" technical grade and thus is with $350 the only one below $1000 which achieves that together with the Hifiman Ananda which costs double as much.
Would be interesting also to compare it to the other $300-400 references like the Sennheises HD6** models and the Hifiman Sundara 2020 with the revised pads.

Feelas

I sincerely believe that evening out the peaks a bit (it can be easily seen how uneven they're between 5-15k) could get them in-line with K371s performance. Crinacle's opinions are just opinions, anyways. From Rtings the WHD seems kind of high-ish in the midrange, but it seems that's all. Crinacle doesn't actually delve into "science" of WHY the 'technicalities are bad', just shares what he thinks out of the box.

Yet, SRH series is regarded as having a ****** head-fit (also noted in Rtings). Shure is a well-discussed brand in IEMs segment, or at least it was, some time before.

Dreyfus

The SRH leather pads are rather thin and stiff. I replaced the ones that came with my SRH840 (same pads as those of the SRH440) with some Brainwavz Hybrids. Seal and comfort improved by a lot! Sound is a little bit different, of course. But that is easy to fix with some EQ.

Talking about that list, if I would be listening more often to headphones I would be tempted to test the Audio Technica ATH-R70x which has also an "S-" tone grade but a "A-" technical grade and thus is with $350 the only one below $1000 which achieves that together with the Hifiman Ananda which costs double as much.
Would be interesting also to compare it to the other $300-400 references like the Sennheises HD6** models and the Hifiman Sundara 2020 with the revised pads.
The ATH-R70X is a great headphone. Really smooth and detailed sound. Its tonality is very similar to the HD 600. The soundstage is also interesting. Not that wide, but pretty much the best phantom center illusion I have had so far. Should be a good headphone for mixing.

Damn reminiscence ... now I am browsing the second-hand market again. :facepalm:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I've been looking for a new set of headphones in the <$200 range. Every once in a while, I'll peruse the ranking section of the compiled AutoEq results:

https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq/blob/master/results/RANKING.md

Right now the Shure SRH440 (currently $79) are the #2 ranked headphones out of almost 400 models.

Can anyone comment on the SRH440? There doesn't seem to be too much discussion about them yet here on ASR.

For hifi enjoyment or mixing ?

For hifi enjoyment the lower bass is a bit lacking and the sharpness in the treble may be a problem. For mixing this balance is more ideal (when on a budget)

OP
infinitesymphony

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
For hifi enjoyment or mixing ?

For hifi enjoyment the lower bass is a bit lacking and the sharpness in the treble may be a problem. For mixing this balance is more ideal (when on a budget)
For these, probably more focused on mixing. As long as the extension is there, I think bass lightness could be okay, treble brightness maybe less so. At this point I'm leaning towards closed-back headphones for location use.

That said, the open-back headphone deals going on right now are tempting: Sennheiser HD560s, HD6XX, and PC38X for <$200, and the HD660s for $319.

Mostly I was curious about how the SRH440s shot up to the #2 preference curve spot seemingly out of nowhere. I didn't even know Shure made over-ear headphones until I checked the rankings. :D

Also interesting that the SRH840 appears to be tuned differently, V-shaped rather than Harman according to crinacle.

The SRH leather pads are rather thin and stiff. I replaced the ones that came with my SRH840 (same pads as those of the SRH440) with some Brainwavz Hybrids. Seal and comfort improved by a lot! Sound is a little bit different, of course. But that is easy to fix with some EQ.
It's good to know there are suitable replacement pads. Even looking at the product images on Amazon, the pads look like they might be that plasticky pleather that runs hot and doesn't flex.

Last edited:

Dreyfus

Even looking at the product images on Amazon, the pads look like they might be that plasticky pleather that runs hot and doesn't flex.
Yep, that's the case unfortunately. They feel similar to the Superlux stock pads.

Tried a few of the Brainwavz pads and found that the hybrids offer the best balance in terms of sound and respiration.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
It's good to know there are suitable replacement pads. Even looking at the product images on Amazon, the pads look like they might be that plasticky pleather that runs hot and doesn't flex.

I measured the SRH-440 and some Shure pads.

markanini

Major Contributor
It sounds good as a closed back in its price range. Sounds like a Sony MDR 7506 that grew up and went to school. You might find the AKG K371 or Beyer DT770 sound better but the improvement isnt as large as twice as the price suggest.

Last edited:
OP
infinitesymphony

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
I measured the SRH-440 and some Shure pads.
Wow, those look destroyed, but because the SRH440s have been out for over 10 years now I suppose it's possible that there are many road-worn sets out there.

The AKG K371 at $119 was probably a better deal sound-wise for those who could swing it. SRH440s may be an acceptable compromise when the K371s are $149. The wear on the measured headphones seems to imply that they might survive harsher conditions than the K371s which seem to have a fragile headband design and some QC issues historically.

3125b

Major Contributor
K371s which seem to have a fragile headband design
It does.

The Shure SRH440 seems solid for the most part, but their pleather is bad and the headband not interchangeable (it can be fitted with Beyer headband pads, but not by design), that's why they often look so dilapidated.
I personally don't like the comfort, but in the end it comes down to price, and at 69€ over here, the SRH440 is hard to beat.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
It does.

The Shure SRH440 seems solid for the most part, but their pleather is bad and the headband not interchangeable (it can be fitted with Beyer headband pads, but not by design), that's why they often look so dilapidated.
I personally don't like the comfort, but in the end it comes down to price, and at 69€ over here, the SRH440 is hard to beat.

I refurbished the headband by pulling a sleeve over it. Requires complete disassembly and not easy to do. Not my idea.. saw it somewhere on the interwebs and looked like a great idea. Less comfy though.
refurb-srh440-kl.jpg
refurb-srh440-kl.jpg

OP
infinitesymphony

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
I refurbished the headband by pulling a sleeve over it. Requires complete disassembly and not easy to do. Not my idea.. saw it somewhere on the interwebs and looked like a great idea. Less comfy though.
refurb-srh440-kl.jpg
refurb-srh440-kl.jpg

Techflex branching out into headbands. Never thought I'd see the day. :D

ADU

Major Contributor
I have tried the Shure 840's on, and been tempted to give them try. The seemed very comfortable to me, and had a more premium feel than either the K371 or M50X. And came with a set of replacement pads. The pads are maybe a bit shallow though (if memory serves), so if your ears stick out, they might touch the inside surface of the cups. Most GC's stock these btw, so they aren't too hard to find in the US.

Haven't given them a listen though. Sound sig looks a bit U-shaped, based on the graphs, probably leaning toward the btighter side. And a bit lacking in good sub-bass extension, for closed-back. So some EQ would probably help. Since they're closed that should work ok.

Competition is heating up in this price range though. The choices on closed headphones are still a little limited. But there appear to be several good open headphones in this range now, including a couple of HFMs, and Sennheisers. And maybe one or two others.

The R70X is a bit more expensive (and open) and viewed favorably by some audiophiles. But it has an unusual headband design, and is very high impedance. So it would probably require a decent amp.

Haven't tried the 440's.

Last edited:
Top Bottom