• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Shure SE535 DAC Suggestions

AlfredoPlays

Hello everyone!

I'm hoping to get some direction with my current and future audio setup, currently running my Shure SE535's through my iPhone, using Spotify. At the moment, I plan to switch to Amazon Music HD or Qobuz for my streaming platform and possibly the Shure SE846; listening purposes are recreational.

What portable DAC would give me top-of-the-line performance while not being plugged in for power. The Hidizs S9 seems like a fantastic choice, but I go on long trips, and the power drain appears to be massive. Thankfully I found this group before I got tricked into a Dragonfly. The newly released THX Onyx is what I'm leaning towards at the moment since the size is essential to me. Any direction would be appreciated!

Bonus: I know audio is very personal, but am I paying for the brand name with Shure? Any other earbuds (must be earbuds) that are "better" than Shure that I should look at picking up?

Χ Ξ Σ

Forum Donor
The 846 are some of the most sensitive IEMs out there. They are known to be "noise detectors" because they are so susceptible to noise from electronics. I don't know the noise level of these portable dongles that you are eyeing, but the Shure IEMs have a higher chance of hearing the noise than many other IEMs. If I were you I would just go with the Apple $9 dongle, I believe that has enough power unless I want to listen to high dynamic classical music in public transportation.

As for the bonus question, I would say in 2021 you have plenty of other IEMs to choose from. The 535 and 846 were introduced in an era when third-party measurement outlets weren't as prevalent as today. Manufacturers these days are more data-driven and often introduced new IEMs based on well-studied target curves. Even Shure's new IEMs measures better the 846. There is nothing wrong with liking the sound of the 846 if you have already auditioned them, though.

OP
A

AlfredoPlays

The 846 are some of the most sensitive IEMs out there. They are known to be "noise detectors" because they are so susceptible to noise from electronics. I don't know the noise level of these portable dongles that you are eyeing, but the Shure IEMs have a higher chance of hearing the noise than many other IEMs. If I were you I would just go with the Apple $9 dongle, I believe that has enough power unless I want to listen to high dynamic classical music in public transportation.

As for the bonus question, I would say in 2021 you have plenty of other IEMs to choose from. The 535 and 846 were introduced in an era when third-party measurement outlets weren't as prevalent as today. Manufacturers these days are more data-driven and often introduced new IEMs based on well-studied target curves. Even Shure's new IEMs measures better the 846. There is nothing wrong with liking the sound of the 846 if you have already auditioned them, though.
Any recommendations or places to start looking for competitors to Shure? The sound signature of the 535's is all I've known for six years. Down to try something different.

Χ Ξ Σ

Forum Donor
I like to use Crinacle's Graph Comparison Tool. I think this is the best place to start. For instance, here is the frequency response of the 535. https://crinacle.com/graphs/iems/graphtool/?share=IEF_Neutral_Target,SE535

I would recommend starting with the IEMs from Moondrop. Their IEMs always shoot for a close-to-the-target frequency response and not showing a bunch of high frequency resonances like some IEMs do.

Top Bottom