• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Showing results of EQ

regtas43

Amir, I am a big fan of your speaker reviews. I envy you the Kippel system and it is
great to see the results. But I would personally be really really interested in seeing the
results after you do your (often recommended) EQ. I applaud your willingness to
get in there and fix things with EQ. But I would really appreciate seeing measurements
after the EQ. I realize that we are dealing with linear systems here and in principle one
could figure out what the results would be. But visual presentation counts and showing
the results would be cool indeed, really inspiring in some cases.

alex-z

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You can download the data in the .zip file amir provides for each speaker review, load the data into VituixCAD, apply EQ, and see the resulting changes. Or even run the data through external scripts, as pierre does. You can see an example here:

The only thing VituixCAD won't show you is distortion results, because those are not present in the original data.

OP
R

regtas43

I was interested in for example the Polk T50. But actually I am interested in ALL of them.
Since many can be improved (as one supposes) by the EQ, it would be a big help to
the public if every time EQ was suggested, the results were shown.
Few people are going to want to figure this out for themselves! even though they
could. Thanks for considering this-- it really would help people and make the data
more useful to them.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I was interested in for example the Polk T50. But actually I am interested in ALL of them.
Since many can be improved (as one supposes) by the EQ, it would be a big help to
Few people are going to want to figure this out for themselves! even though they
could. Thanks for considering this-- it really would help people and make the data
more useful to them.
Here is how you can use the REW EQ tool to show you how the response will be after EQ is applied.

1656275086769.png

1656275182941.png

aldarrin

Here is how you can use the REW EQ tool to show you how the response will be after EQ is applied.

View attachment 214896

View attachment 214900
Personally, I'll like to see the EQ changes in Rune, RME ADI-2 Pro confirmed with amir's testing rigs (his speakers and headphone reviews). I love the measurements and EQ recommendations. But d also like to know how close to the target curve his EQ gets.

pierre

Forum Donor
more useful to them.
hello,

you can find all of them (with and without EQ) here: https://pierreaubert.github.io/spinorama/
Click in a speaker and look at them side by side or go to the compare tab and compare them both on the same graph.

YSC

Major Contributor
Amir, I am a big fan of your speaker reviews. I envy you the Kippel system and it is
great to see the results. But I would personally be really really interested in seeing the
results after you do your (often recommended) EQ. I applaud your willingness to
get in there and fix things with EQ. But I would really appreciate seeing measurements
after the EQ. I realize that we are dealing with linear systems here and in principle one
could figure out what the results would be. But visual presentation counts and showing
the results would be cool indeed, really inspiring in some cases.

I think a point to note is that for fixing anechoic response to put it in your own treated space the rew pre and post estimation can make it work, but other than that, those of us who did eq ourselves highly likely just fix everything for our in room response and since the rooms are so much different from one another, the actual response showed after eq is of little reference use.

Buddelpudding

hello,

you can find all of them (with and without EQ) here: https://pierreaubert.github.io/spinorama/
Click in a speaker and look at them side by side or go to the compare tab and compare them both on the same graph.
Is there a way on your site to find the actual EQ settings that were applied in case I wanted to try them out, say with an RME ADI-2? Looking at the KEF R5, specifically...

pierre

Forum Donor
Thx!

What if I want to generate my one set of filters to use with my RME DAC, which only has 5 PEQ bands plus high/low shelf? Can you give me a hint?
hello,

there a few ways to make it work:
- easy: take only the first five. they are in order of effectiveness (so you don’t loose much if you do not take the last ones)
- run the software. If you are an IT person, that should be easy, If not follow the README for installation and tell me if that works. Looking at the README, it doesn’t explain much the command line to use the optimiser. Note that it has been developed on Linux and tested on Linux and macOS but not on Windows.

export SPEAKER=“KEF R5”
./generate_peqs.py —help
this will give you the full list of options
./generate_peqs.py —speaker=“$SPEAKER” —max-peqs=5 —max-Q=3
should get you started. You will see a picture in ./docs/speakers/KEF R5 which describes the effect of the EQ on the spin.

I will add more explanations to the README doc in any case.

Top Bottom