• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). There are daily reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Show us your home theatre setup

delta76

Addicted to Fun and Learning
So I joined a few Facebook groups about home theatre, and you can guess, most of the setup there are Klipsch. Klipsch is the most popular setup, and it is not even close.
So I wonder, while the majority of ASR are probably into Hifi/stereo setup alone, there must be a significant portion of you guys and gals are into Home Theatre. Show us your setup.

Me first (And apologies for the mess, this was when I first setup the speakers and had to remove the tv bench. I can't even remove the protect film from the TV because of small kids)

WxEIilH9dGewRou_ZNBP0UVwYSjCtaCAZ-LEYStM11Zq5Otcnqkk-ur9xf8FUkkqyfc8Yb1wxQskmpp9mzYmN2Q2xDKf6Qj5xtbmhlUxZEfCDz5brTlZkmJcuuJetOYVa1DDN06iz0p4gkxuHy8190L7uGQupmm6H_gf2ly1lv45wiYqEyFPmoE6Irv-ZG9YQTKpxZ7ueQU85eX7XsBWaQgMn1oAFnSmdEosqj2nxWkiYfr8oOFWvuZY-wY1k4QynqoCJf5ibVqtjMJVg1qgejreeAaBm3SbcDPZwtOllYW1JL2xXzGczO2rgzIcS8cH_xUgXNbkH5kPGueFO4-sxBm914Rc3YJQODrVFpVKbWHAqH3L3TOEELsp0SnvXpXsH1MtW8NDMI1pKmAyutzCeFSd1c3EDOaxBG-XOZOEbWcXZgY6C6LjFHpZqIrFMNPLSkBX1ZWp6m7JQCbRp36Vs0B3Ty8DhGV-hIvNVD1EnOkL-920P5dSIrV66F9wePsggB9YlqqwmudAW2eUeeINtUMhot1s5yeLRQWrAkBT_8LpT2Tu4r_ffsiqUFusT3tO_s0GuRNUsY3iZPJakIDQ2GgKxe0PUeq2JUH0ZLS8MXhFcTd_eJ-1xWDqPXQpoioRqB4Z3yzSxfHZUxjItBQ-YZ5R6GfTQjV0OxVwF9d2SbT3VgwGBEB3lz7Q64G8RFWWUVSBoRBQXPopY8bg_VnYxi926WOWt0YsC_IbgpkeZhSE0DuwHjjf9Lg9lvAq2ZE=w1720-h1290-no

LG 65CX
Onkyo TX-NR809
Focal Aria 948x2, 906x2, cc900
XSX/PS5 and Switch.
Sabaj a20a 2022. I was curious about it, but regretted the purchase.

I am dying to find a good deal on Denon x3700h to replace my Onkyo, but meanwhile I'll use eArc + audio splitter. Quite a PITA.

I did minimal room treatment because it's the living room and even having a sound absorbing curtain is not approved by my wife. Still a significant improvement over the tv speakers, but I could do better.

MattHooper

Major Contributor
I'm a big HT fan and went in to the weeds for many years, especially designing my projection-based home theater.
The room does double duty as both my 2 channel listening room and my home theater room.

I have a long Home Theater Build thread on the AVSforum, but all the photos disappeared because they were hosted on a site that got rid of them (they went from free to paid). That was cruel!

Anyway, I have a few more recent photos where you can see some of the home theater aspect.

Description:

Projector:
JVC RS600 (still the highest contrast consumer projector ever put out).
Screen: Stewart ST120 screen, spans up to about 11 feet wide.
4-Way Automated Masking System: This was 1/2 self designed, incorporating a Carada Masquerade horizontal masking system and additional Goelst side panel system. Working together, programmed by a universal remote, the screen can change shape to whatever necessary to perfectly fit any movie.

Denon AV receiver
Oppo UHD player/Apple TV
Speakers: Hales Transcendence T1 monitors, Center channel, Monitor Audio surrounds, rears.

The projector is hidden behind the viewing/listening sofa. It's on a telescoping lift, so when the home theater is turned on, black out blinds automatically slide down and cover the bay windows, the lighting goes down, and the Projector lifts up to over 6 feet high and turns on.

Other features: The ceiling was re-built as a drop down structure covered in dark brown stretched felt fabric. This helps reject light reflection back to the screen to maintain contrast, and also helps acoustically with the room (there are acoustic treatments in portions of the ceiling; the room was designed with the input of an acoustician).

The L/C/R home theater speakers are covered (including stands) in black velvet, sitting on a black velvet 'stage' against a wall in which the screen is surrounded by black velvet. The effect is threefold: 1. Stops light from reflecting off the speakers during movies so they "disappear" in the dark. 2. Allows the movie image to float surrounded by pitch black for better immersion. 3. Makes the HT speakers blend in with the black velvet wall - in fact when there isn't daylight streaming in, you usually can't even see them. Which helps reduce visual clutter given the number of speakers in the room.

Finally, there are black velvet curtains stealthily hidden in the room which can be pulled along all the walls. It takes only about 30 seconds and it turns the room from "bright and cheery" for daily use in to a completely blacked out non-reflective 'bat cave' for maximum image contrast and immersion in the movie.

The only photos I have handy - from just outside the room, and peeking just in side the room:

Wood Interior design Television Floor Flooring

Furniture Property Window Building Wood

MattHooper

Major Contributor
Either not many ASR members are in to Home Theater, or this thread was posted in the wrong forum.

JustJones

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Mine is easy, Sonos ARC and a 55inch Samsung.

I used to do HT. Started with a Pioneer Rear projection TV, Pioneer Elite Laser Disc player, Denon AVR, NHT surrounds, center, mains and sub,

osscar

You have built a great home theater!
I have a simple 5.1 system (old picture - now the TV is much bigger) Front/rear - mark audio chr70 and chp70. Simple 100W subwoofer (parallel 2 TDA 7294 chipamps). SONY receiver. HTPC as a signal source. The rest is for music. Something changes all the time.

Attachments

• DSC00226.jpg
    DSC00226.jpg
    448.1 KB · Views: 33

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor

Scrappy

I'm a big HT fan and went in to the weeds for many years, especially designing my projection-based home theater.
The room does double duty as both my 2 channel listening room and my home theater room.

I have a long Home Theater Build thread on the AVSforum, but all the photos disappeared because they were hosted on a site that got rid of them (they went from free to paid). That was cruel!

Anyway, I have a few more recent photos where you can see some of the home theater aspect.

Description:

Projector:
JVC RS600 (still the highest contrast consumer projector ever put out).
Screen: Stewart ST120 screen, spans up to about 11 feet wide.
4-Way Automated Masking System: This was 1/2 self designed, incorporating a Carada Masquerade horizontal masking system and additional Goelst side panel system. Working together, programmed by a universal remote, the screen can change shape to whatever necessary to perfectly fit any movie.

Denon AV receiver
Oppo UHD player/Apple TV
Speakers: Hales Transcendence T1 monitors, Center channel, Monitor Audio surrounds, rears.

The projector is hidden behind the viewing/listening sofa. It's on a telescoping lift, so when the home theater is turned on, black out blinds automatically slide down and cover the bay windows, the lighting goes down, and the Projector lifts up to over 6 feet high and turns on.

Other features: The ceiling was re-built as a drop down structure covered in dark brown stretched felt fabric. This helps reject light reflection back to the screen to maintain contrast, and also helps acoustically with the room (there are acoustic treatments in portions of the ceiling; the room was designed with the input of an acoustician).

The L/C/R home theater speakers are covered (including stands) in black velvet, sitting on a black velvet 'stage' against a wall in which the screen is surrounded by black velvet. The effect is threefold: 1. Stops light from reflecting off the speakers during movies so they "disappear" in the dark. 2. Allows the movie image to float surrounded by pitch black for better immersion. 3. Makes the HT speakers blend in with the black velvet wall - in fact when there isn't daylight streaming in, you usually can't even see them. Which helps reduce visual clutter given the number of speakers in the room.

Finally, there are black velvet curtains stealthily hidden in the room which can be pulled along all the walls. It takes only about 30 seconds and it turns the room from "bright and cheery" for daily use in to a completely blacked out non-reflective 'bat cave' for maximum image contrast and immersion in the movie.

The only photos I have handy - from just outside the room, and peeking just in side the room:

Wood Interior design Television Floor Flooring

Furniture Property Window Building Wood
>4-Way Automated Masking System

That’s awesome! Here I was using gaff tape...

Talisman

Forum Donor
Well, seeing the average level, maybe I can claim the cheapest ht implant possible.
Epson fullhd projector from 600 euros that projects on .... Wall!
AVR Yamaha RX-V767 bought second hand for 250 euros
Ayiyma A07 used as a power amplifier for the frontal 83 euros
Magnat supreme 1002 fronts, 320 euros per pair
Magnat tempus center as central 92 euros
Magnat monitor supreme 202 as surround 140 euros
Second-hand Energy subwoofer, I don't even remember the initials, 50 euros

Total 1535 euros
And guys, what to say .... I enjoy the movies very much with a lot of "WOW" sound effects

Top Bottom