• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Show us your Cars

Craylock

Jump to confusions much? Did you think you'd shame us car owners here? I mean billions of people own cars world wide. Not exactly controversial or something most will feel any shame about. Quick to put words into someone else's mouth and make assumptions about other topics not in evidence.

Chill, you appear to be a new member. You are welcome here, but maybe some audio topics are more fit for initial posting till you get a feel for the forum.

Yeah you have a point (or two), and I do see the beauty in cars as technology and artisanship. (I lam especially weak for the US models from late 30es to late 40es as objects of beauty, but have no plans of getting one). It is just that when I look at the extermination of species, (dwarf elephants, lion after lion sub-species, Indian cheetah, dodo, aurachs, rhino after rhino, great auch and so on and forth almost ad infinitum I cant but feel, and sometimes I blurt out a response.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
How much area does one need where you live to charge it completely with solar energy in let's say 8 hours?
7kW is the maximum we can have here with a single phase system so not possible to completely charge it in 8 hours with solar. more like 12.
About 500 sq ft I think.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
7kW is the maximum we can have here with a single phase system so not possible to completely charge it in 8 hours with solar. more like 12.
About 500 sq ft I think.
That would be around 50 sq m. That's not bad, I really expected you'd need a much bigger area.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah you have a point (or two), and I do see the beauty in cars as technology and artisanship. (I lam especially weak for the US models from late 30es to late 40es as objects of beauty, but have no plans of getting one). It is just that when I look at the extermination of species, (dwarf elephants, lion after lion sub-species, Indian cheetah, dodo, aurachs, rhino after rhino, great auch and so on and forth almost ad infinitum I cant but feel, and sometimes I blurt out a response.

If you would like some ideas on effective things you can do, LMK. Rage-posting is not one of them. LMK your area(s) of education and I'm sure I can come up with something.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How much area does one need where you live to charge it completely with solar energy in let's say 8 hours?

Figure a max of about 1 kW/m2 for sunlight and a panel efficiency of 25% for a max.

This is why it is very difficult to build a solar racer type car that is street usable.

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Get an ethos!
Remember that we didn't get into our current predicament overnight. But even in the USA, fewer young people are getting driver's licenses, and they're getting them later than ever before, and attempts to lure younger buyers with products like Honda's Element and Toyota's Scion brand weren't super-successful, while brands like Porsche and Ferrari don't really bother with more affordable offerings as they did in the past because that market no longer exists. So change is definitely underway.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
So anything goes? Is that it? Show me your guns or your Yemeni child bride is all okay?
Check out my GP100, a bit too bulky for me to conceal carry in FL where our clothing tends to be minimal. But with the fiber optic front site and adjustable rear with white outline I can hold a 6" group at 25 yards.. I have a Taurus TCP 380 auto for my carry piece, much smaller and more concealable. If the problem gets real serious I can always haul out the Quad 50's ;)
IMG_1341w.jpeg

quadmount.jpg

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Check out my GP100, a bit too bulky for me to conceal carry in FL where our clothing tends to be minimal. But with the fiber optic front site and adjustable rear with white outline I can hold a 6" group at 25 yards.. I have a Taurus TCP 380 auto for my carry piece, much smaller and more concealable. If the problem gets real serious I can always haul out the Quad 50's ;)
View attachment 142314
View attachment 142315
Okay Sal, now I'm waiting for the pics of the child bride.........;)
A good combo pic might be her manning the quad 50's.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Okay Sal, now I'm waiting for the pics of the child bride.........
She's still on the boat. I wouldn't pay for premium passage so she has to work with the cleaning crew until she pays off the costs. :)

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Does that power / area incorporate a factor for typical British weather?
No.
I will use a smart device to adjust the actual charge rate generally, and use the mains power only if I need a bit more range at any moment.
Using an EV or PHEV requires forethought because of how long it takes to charge. I have no problem with this, my wife OTOH is often annoyed that she hasn't given any thought to it and is waiting to charge because she doesn't want to pay for petrol!

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

fluufy

Here’s my car: BMW C650 GT. I call her the Big Fat Lass. Has bum warmer, fits a case of wine under the seat. Gets no respect from squids on sportsbikes, which is why it takes a real man to ride a maxi scooter.
10034B71-CB7D-48F9-9468-835AFEC451B3.jpeg

Craylock

I honestly can't believe anyone would equate these two things, and essentially in the same sentence as cars, all on the same level of evil. That's just confusing.

I'm sure we will all welcome you if you want to contribute to any of the audio threads, otherwise, don't let the door hit you as the sayin goes. If you chose to do the former, please chose to bring more sanity and logic than the above equivalencies.

There is no sanity and/or logic in wallowing in cars and guns while believing in/and having any but instinctive base values oneself. It is hand to mouth as cultural epithet, as opposed to hand to mouth as material poverty. I think I wrote something to the effect that my emotions were rooted in ecology. The continued extermination of specie after specie gets to me. You should be able to follow the rational of that. Just imagine you empathize with something that does not bring you immediate profit.

Juhazi

Major Contributor
Mine too.
I am having a complete change, after 40 years of V8s I had a drive of one on Friday, ordered this today, now the wait!

I love the wheel choice I made but they will be the least aerodynamic!
My most frequent passenger is my dog, so space for him was paramount.

Congrats Frank, I just had to login for this!

Taycan 4S won the Finnish winter car test this year with highest points ever! https://news.cision.com/fi/porsche-...visahkoauto-2021--vertailun-voittaja,c3304775

And what comes to Yaris GR, it basically comes from my home town! Toyota Gazoo Racing WRC headquarters are now here, German unit will be taken down. https://toyotagazooracing.com/wrc/ And Kalle's family lives here too

Last edited:

digicidal

Major Contributor
There is no sanity and/or logic in wallowing in cars and guns while believing in/and having any but instinctive base values oneself. It is hand to mouth as cultural epithet, as opposed to hand to mouth as material poverty. I think I wrote something to the effect that my emotions were rooted in ecology. The continued extermination of specie after specie gets to me. You should be able to follow the rational of that. Just imagine you empathize with something that does not bring you immediate profit.

...But proselytizing random strangers on the web over those matters is completely rational and constructive? Honestly, the problems of this world will neither be solved by a single maverick example, nor by hordes of zealous adherents. For some the sense of importance, urgency and superiority are a salve for raw psychological sores... and for others it's simply enjoying a few irrational pleasures on the road to extinction.

This is a forum primarily based on getting the most value from entirely unnecessary (from a survival standpoint) consumer goods - is there really that much difference between a hifi/theater system and cars, guns, watches, jewelry, etc.? Since crawling from caves, humanity has been all about excesses and exploitation... there's no point in assigning extraneous moral values to specific aspects of that fact. IMO at least. YMMV. ;)

PatentLawyer

Forum Donor
My MB S560 4Matic. It's a total riot, and perfect for my taste. It's a land yacht that rips to 60 in ~4 seconds, and it's just getting started....the highway run from 60-85 is bonkers. And gets low 30s MPG on the highway (well, assuming you drive like a sane person).

IMG_7134.jpeg

Top Bottom