• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Show us your Cars

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Our two very, very boring cars
Life's too short to be bored. Get yourself something like Twitch54's above, post #500
If that don't get your juices flowing, nothing will. ;)

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
1967 911? My dad had a '69 912, and as the youngest of three children, my designated place was the hump between the two back seats! Funny to think that it was a prestigious automobile yet so spartan by today's standards, with just a Blaupunkt AM radio for entertainment (dealer-added shortly after he took delivery), and it never occurred to us that we should want anything more. Even if it had been available, both of my folks would've been suspicious of frills like air conditioning.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
1967 911? My dad had a '69 912, and as the youngest of three children, my designated place was the hump between the two back seats! Funny to think that it was a prestigious automobile yet so spartan by today's standards, with just a Blaupunkt AM radio for entertainment (dealer-added shortly after he took delivery), and it never occurred to us that we should want anything more. Even if it had been available, both of my folks would've been suspicious of frills like air conditioning.
For a time I remember my Dad saying AC was just something complicated that would break and cost you money. Didn't need it on his car.

A drunk crashed into my Mom's car. She got my Dad's car, and he purchased a used '60 Bel Air to drive to work because he got it cheap. Someone had put aftermarket air in that car. We lived in the deep southern US, and he was driving across a large city without interstates. So it was a 25 mile slog with traffic lights every couple blocks at least the whole way to work. In the afternoons, in the summer, that drive was suddenly a whole lot better with AC in the car. He'd joke about seeing everyone else pull up and wipe the sweat out of their eyes with hankerchiefs at the red light, and he'd be riding cool and comfortable. He never wanted another car without AC after that.

PS-if you weren't in traffic a rear engine car like the Porsche is a whole lot more comfortable in the summer than a front engine car. All the heat is behind you, and you 'leave it behind'.

Feanor

Forum Donor
Life's too short to be bored. Get yourself something like Twitch54's above, post #500
If that don't get your juices flowing, nothing will. ;)
The "juice" in question would be gasoline, unfortunately.

If I were better heeled I might go for a Tesla Model X.

1595680199253.png

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Purchased in December. Now I work from home and never leave my house. Only been able to put 1,400 miles on it so far.
Very sweet Ford, they're really looking good.

If I were better heeled I might go for a Tesla Model X.
Take the brakes off and push the toy in the water. :p

Feanor

Forum Donor

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

The unit body on my Porsche 911 is a 1973 - the rest of it is different years to get the lightest, strongest, fastest parts...

They really are simple cars (except for some of the engine internals). Mine has a Pioneer SuperTuner but needs a better head unit...

One thing I did was to take off the fuel injection (on the 1986 engine with hotrodded modifications to the heads, pistons, cams) and put on some carbs for more induction noise.

Which brings up the issue of what types of car motors have the most mellifluous engine noises...

Last edited:

Inner Space

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Which brings up the issue of what types of car motors have the most mellifluous engine noises...

You're not kidding. When I needed a new exhaust for my old Bentley, my choice was a replica of the original mild steel, or a version in stainless steel, which was far more durable but not authentic. I made the mistake of checking enthusiast forums. One had hundreds and hundreds of posts about the difference in sound, using terms any subjectivist audiophile would have been proud of.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

GD Fan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
For a time I remember my Dad saying AC was just something complicated that would break and cost you money. Didn't need it on his car.

A drunk crashed into my Mom's car. She got my Dad's car, and he purchased a used '60 Bel Air to drive to work because he got it cheap. Someone had put aftermarket air in that car. We lived in the deep southern US, and he was driving across a large city without interstates. So it was a 25 mile slog with traffic lights every couple blocks at least the whole way to work. In the afternoons, in the summer, that drive was suddenly a whole lot better with AC in the car. He'd joke about seeing everyone else pull up and wipe the sweat out of their eyes with hankerchiefs at the red light, and he'd be riding cool and comfortable. He never wanted another car without AC after that.

PS-if you weren't in traffic a rear engine car like the Porsche is a whole lot more comfortable in the summer than a front engine car. All the heat is behind you, and you 'leave it behind'.
Oh man, my midengine Boxsters have always made me sweat through the backs of my shirts commuting to and from work with the engine block directly behind the driver's seat. Then again, to your point about traffic I've been commuting in either LA or NYC for the past 20 years.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh man, my midengine Boxsters have always made me sweat through the backs of my shirts commuting to and from work with the engine block directly behind the driver's seat. Then again, to your point about traffic I've been commuting in either LA or NYC for the past 20 years.
That would be the case. I suppose I actually had in mind time spent in VW Beetles or Corvairs, where there is a back seat between you and the engine. Those are very cool cars to drive in hot weather even if maybe they aren't 'cool' in other respects.

GD Fan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The clickety-clack of an original Beetle definitely has some cool cachet in my book.

Inner Space

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That would be the case. I suppose I actually had in mind time spent in VW Beetles or Corvairs, where there is a back seat between you and the engine. Those are very cool cars to drive in hot weather even if maybe they aren't 'cool' in other respects.

VW Beetles in cold weather were strange - the heater put out hot air through a vent near my left ankle. I had a pair of Frye boots with little straps joined by a brass ring ... the ring would get practically red hot after about half an hour.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
The clickety-clack of an original Beetle definitely has some cool cachet in my book.

Beetles made great off-road rides.

On one woodland trip, the throttle cable broke on the buddy's beetle, somewhere in the forests south of Birmingham.

I sat on the bumper, holding the hood up with one hand, operating the throttle linkage with the other, to get the thing back home.

It was a 36hp model, so, basically on, off, shift, on, off, shift, on, off, shift, on till the next stop.

1595725342856.png

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

There's a good subject. Along with the air cooled Porsche's and their unique scream, BMW has some nice sounding motors. The NA V8 in my M3 as it goes over 8k RPM's is pretty hard not to want to hear over and over. Fortunately, I can. It's sound was absolutely one of the reasons I bought it.

Top Bottom