• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Show us your Cars

Krunok

Major Contributor
The RWD vs. FWD debate is one of those arguments that will probably never end. I think if you are a keen driver then RWD is more fun but that FWD is a better option for most people most of the time. I used to drive Subaru Legacy's with permanent 4WD and they were terrific cars. Superb build quality (better than any other cars I have owned), unfortunately they were quite expensive to run.

I think that modern cars with electronically controled 4WD systems which can shift torque to whatever wheel has traction are superior to both, FWD and RWD cars. Not that you need that feature in everyday street driving, but when you need it you will notice the difference. :)

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think that modern cars with electronically controled 4WD systems which can shift torque to whatever wheel has traction are superior to both, FWD and RWD cars. Not that you need that feature in everyday street driving, but when you need it you will notice the difference. :)
Modern electronically managed 4wd systems really are excellent. A Porsche 911 2wd used to be much quicker round the Nurburgring than the 4wd (despite having more than 250ps per tonne) simply because of how much lighter it was. Now, with lighter electronically controlled 4wd it is the other way round.
If I did track days I would consider 4wd, but I don’t. My everyday car is fwd plug in hybrid my fun car mid engine rear wheel drive with a mechanical LSD.

Juhazi

Major Contributor
I just visited London and was amused of the number of 4WD SUVs. I guess I didn't see a Dacia Duster, but tens of Cayenne TurboSs, Q7s, Range Rovers etc. top of the line models backing up herds of X3s, Q5s, XC60 etc. o_O Notting Hill and Hampstead or Swiss Cottage must be a challenge to climb on in February...

swiss.jpg portobelloroad.jpg

I have driven my first 4WD BMW X3 (E83) for two years now, with friction grip tires for 5 months a year. It does make our life easier, actually I was a bit surprised of the stability of it on bad and slippery roads. My A6 Avant FWD was not bad either, except at crossings and on thick snow.

Last edited:

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
4WD is useful for snow and unpaved roads. Parts of the US get a lot of snow.
Lots of places in the world get snow.
Round here it is rare, hence my statement at the beginning.
4wd is handy on fields too, though most modern 4wd vehicles are so heavy they do damage.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I just visited London and was amused of the number of 4WD SUVs. I guess I didn't see a Dacia Duster, but tens of Cayenne TurboSs, X7s, Range Rovers etc. top of the line models backing up herds of X3s, Q5s, XC60 etc. o_O Notting Hill and Hampton must be a challenge to climb on in February...
We call them “Chelsea tractors” a complete mystery to me.

Krunok

Major Contributor
Modern electronically managed 4wd systems really are excellent. A Porsche 911 2wd used to be much quicker round the Nurburgring than the 4wd (despite having more than 250ps per tonne) simply because of how much lighter it was. Now, with lighter electronically controlled 4wd it is the other way round.
If I did track days I would consider 4wd, but I don’t. My everyday car is fwd plug in hybrid my fun car mid engine rear wheel drive with a mechanical LSD.

It goes without saying that weight is crucial when tracking/racing, but I'm not suprised with what you just said about Porsche. Sure, their buyers are among welthiest folks around but not necesserilly with best driving skills no wonder Porsche is adjusting their lineup. :D

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
I'm without a weekend ride at the mo but I'm driving this.., ( Frank look away now, this heavy thing won't be to your liking lol)

maxresdefault.jpg

It is too heavy but iv done my best to improve it with some suspension mods and handling changes. Had it from new , don't like selling cars .. feels wrong to me lol

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm without a weekend ride at the mo but I'm driving this.., ( Frank look away now, this heavy thing won't be to your liking lol)

View attachment 22983

It is too heavy but iv done my best to improve it with some suspension mods and handling changes. Had it from new , don't like selling cars .. feels wrong to me lol
So is that black or dark blue? An uncle had one of those so I've driven one a couple times. Much quieter than my cars.

I tend to keep cars a long time too. One for 43 years. :D My last daily drivers were held onto for 17 years and then 21 years. And my current one is likely to be kept for that long assuming I stick around long enough.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
So is that black or dark blue? An uncle had one of those so I've driven one a couple times. Much quieter than my cars.

I tend to keep cars a long time too. One for 43 years. :D My last daily drivers were held onto for 17 years and then 21 years. And my current one is likely to be kept for that long assuming I stick around long enough.
It's black , I changed the air intake put high flow cats on it with a miltek exhaust so it makes a fair bit more noise than standard,, bloody hooligan I am.

I feel a loyal obligation to cars , it's never let me down and it's still the car I married lol

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
It's black , I changed the air intake put high flow cats on it with a miltek exhaust so it makes a fair bit more noise than standard,, bloody hooligan I am.

I feel a loyal obligation to cars , it's never let me down and it's still the car I married lol
It looked black with blue sky reflected.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

View attachment 22983

I keep cars a long time too. I have 3 cars, perhaps foolishly. One I bought new in 1991, one I bought ex-demo in 1997 and one I bought a year ago. Love them all. Very few like the older ones are being made around here nowadays - both thirsty V8s.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It goes without saying that weight is crucial when tracking/racing, but I'm not suprised with what you just said about Porsche. Sure, their buyers are among welthiest folks around but not necesserilly with best driving skills no wonder Porsche is adjusting their lineup. :D
Weight is always bad, not just track days and racing. It is true in rallying and for all road cars too. No tyres have a linear Fz grip curve so heavier not only means poorer acceleration and worse fuel consumtion but also weaker cornering and longer braking differences meaning that in an emergency situation a heavy car is more likely to crash than a lighter one.
The limitation is really cost. The cheapest solutions to passing the impact regulations are all heavy. Personally I would prefer a car less likely to have an impact...
Whilst it is true Porsches are expensive so obviously the realm of wealthier people they are one of the few companies making first class sports cars chosen by well off excellent drivers. Most drivers aren't that good at handling a fast car actually - a rides with Grand Prix drivers certainly opened my eyes to what is possible for them but not me.
Of the sports cars being made the ones I admire are the McLarens, Ferraris and Porsches (though not really the VW platform based models which are heavy), all companies who have a racing heritage and know what is important. Of those only Porsche's excellent Boxter/Cayman range are remotely affordable. The ones I like which are a more sensible price are the Mazda MX5, Toyota GT86 and, my favourite, the new Alpine A110.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

View attachment 22983

I actually love these, yes a bit heavy but fun anyway!

OP
W

W2S

I'm more intrigued why he went for D(iesel) instead of gasoline.. :(

Swapped over to Diesel power in 2007 with my first 335D you got just as much fun as petrol power plus overall running costs work out much better

What I like about the current 335D X Drive

£155 Road Tax for the year
Torque: 630 N·m @ 1,500 rpm
Plus the 49.6mpg
4 wheel Drive behaves better than the E90

OP
W

W2S

I keep cars a long time too. I have 3 cars, perhaps foolishly. One I bought new in 1991, one I bought ex-demo in 1997 and one I bought a year ago. Love them all. Very few like the older ones are being made around here nowadays - both thirsty V8s.

I'm the same with cars my E90 335D I had for 9 years before she was written off on about 21k in mileage

OP
W

W2S

Weight is always bad, not just track days and racing. It is true in rallying and for all road cars too. No tyres have a linear Fz grip curve so heavier not only means poorer acceleration and worse fuel consumtion but also weaker cornering and longer braking differences meaning that in an emergency situation a heavy car is more likely to crash than a lighter one.
The limitation is really cost. The cheapest solutions to passing the impact regulations are all heavy. Personally I would prefer a car less likely to have an impact...
Whilst it is true Porsches are expensive so obviously the realm of wealthier people they are one of the few companies making first class sports cars chosen by well off excellent drivers. Most drivers aren't that good at handling a fast car actually - a rides with Grand Prix drivers certainly opened my eyes to what is possible for them but not me.
Of the sports cars being made the ones I admire are the McLarens, Ferraris and Porsches (though not really the VW platform based models which are heavy), all companies who have a racing heritage and know what is important. Of those only Porsche's excellent Boxter/Cayman range are remotely affordable. The ones I like which are a more sensible price are the Mazda MX5, Toyota GT86 and, my favourite, the new Alpine A110.

Hi Frank

Me personally I would add the Caterham to that list

Very well balanced light weight beast of a car and a great track car as well

Great for summer don't believe anyone that says it a all year car its not

Last edited:
Top Bottom