• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Show us your Cars

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
I suppose it depends on your definition of a super car. Besides, in the US gas (petrol) is cheap.

Registration taxes are also a bitch in some parts of the world. A new Ford Fiesta cost ~$14K in the US while it's $20K here in Denmark. And the taxes goes up proportionally to the price tag. Don't know what a Bugatti Chiron will set you back where I live, but I bet you can get a handful of them for the same amount of money in the US :(

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Registration taxes are also a bitch in some parts of the world. A new Ford Fiesta cost ~$14K in the US while it's $20K here in Denmark. And the taxes goes up proportionally to the price tag. Don't know what a Bugatti Chiron will set you back where I live, but I bet you can get a handful of them for the same amount of money in the US :(

There is no VAT in the US, so all prices are without state sales tax. That varies by state. In Texas it is 6.25% on the trade difference. If your trade in is worth $20k you save $1250. Other fees and taxes at purchase are around $500 here. Annual fees are around $100. The Fiesta is no longer sold in the US. Very small hatchbacks which are so popular in Europe are not popular at all here. Large vehicles like the F-150 pickup are very popular. I live in Texas where everything is bigger, LOL.

Last edited:

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As a brit, driving in the USA is a pleasure. Wide open roads, even in towns, compared with the congestion we have here...although I know that driving on 8 lanes with 4 lanes going slow is not fun. Thank you LA!

The thing I notice most is that parking places in Supermarkets and shopping malls are actually made for full-size vehicles, whereas here they're made for Smart cars....which is why I use my wife's Smart car for any trip into town.

Some years ago in Atlanta, I requested a 'full size' car from Hertz or Avis and and was offered a Lincoln Town Car. Over here, town cars are tiny things, like Smart Cars, whereas over there, a Town car starts in one county and ends in the next...at least that's how it felt. I could get used to that sort of motoring. I was most impressed that even the supermarkets could cope with that.

S.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Don't know what a Bugatti Chiron will set you back where I live, but I bet you can get a handful of them for the same amount of money in the US :(

Found a Danish article about the last batch of Veyrons being sold. Price for a model Grand Sport from the factor: €1.4million ($1.58million US?). Price for a Grand Sport with Danish number plates: ~$5million. Autch! o_O

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
My car is fast enough, if not particularly quick.

I have a bike, instead, for the adrenaline doses...

1550513609500.png

Erik

335D X Drive 0-60 4.7secs
M3 / M4 0-60 4.3secs
There is a huge difference between stock 335d and M3. 0-100 time does not mean much in 2019. Look at 0-200 or 100-200 if you want to understand how fast the car is.

cjfrbw

The news has regular stories of these high performance cars coming to woe. It seems rich people buy them or rent them. They have no idea how to drive or handle such a car, or drive them after stopping at the bar, so it winds up wrecked against a wall or wrapped around a pole.
My wife had a work acquaintance who's husband craved and saved for years for a high performance Porsche. The first day he had it, he took it out on Foothill Road, wrecked it, and wound up in a wheelchair paraplegic. There is a 'be careful what you wish for' message in there somewhere.

There was a you tube video a few years ago of a crazy Japanese businessman who bought a Lambo, and his dash cam showed him racing around Japanese streets at 120mph at times. These cars are itchy, and make you a little crazy and intoxicated, which I suppose is the point.

Reactions: W2S

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe I am boring, but I just want a reliable, comfortable and practical car with a few frivolous luxuries to make me feel happy cruising along the motorway at 70 with reasonable economy. And when the A6 isn't causing problems it does that very well. The 190hp engine is more than adequate for normal driving.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Maybe I am boring

During a more youthful portion of my life, my friend came over, and we decided to go out.

Meanwhile, my roommate (who was rather less boring than me, and his dad owned a car dealership) had returned and started a big party.

At some point, not having improved out lot, we returned to the apartment, and my friend eventually quoted "Even when you go out, you stay home!"

I hope I haven't bored you with this snippet'o'life.

graz_lag

Major Contributor
Just a bit out of topic ...
For my weekend rides ... to burn out most of the calories over accumulated from the "Mon thru Fri" office life style ... :facepalm:
Yeah, the tires are inflated @ 9 bars (130psi) so one should look somewhere else for "comfort rides" ... ;)

Scapin KS Pro Racer_a.jpg

Last edited:

graz_lag

Major Contributor
I suppose it depends on your definition of a super car. Besides, in the US gas (petrol) is cheap.

Hmm ... Still $0.12-0.13 per mile either side of the Atlantic ...
Europe : $1.5 per liter = $5.67 per gallon ---> 45 miles per gallon with European engineered engines/cars = $0.125 per mile
US : $3.0 per gallon (average May-2018) ---> 25 miles per gallon with US engineered engines/cars (trucks ...) = $0.12 per mile
;)

OP
W

W2S

There is a huge difference between stock 335d and M3. 0-100 time does not mean much in 2019. Look at 0-200 or 100-200 if you want to understand how fast the car is.

You do mean 155? as both cars are limited to that

Real difference is from about 100 mph onwards and UK Roads limited to 70mph plus the M3 / M4 costing £25k more like I said 335D is a better package plus l live in Essex so most of my driving is through country lanes
Prefer 4 wheel drive to the noise and itchy bottom of an M car

Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Ahh ! The Bandit ! ... Four in-line cylinders right ?

Yeah, nothing high-tech about it, just what passed as a "standard" sit-up-straight UJM from back then Air cooled, four carbs, and so on..

No mods.

2002 Suzuki GSF1200S

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Past bikes, not my photos, but no different.

Yamaha DT1-B Enduro - used

1550529772828.png

Suzuki 500 Titan - new

1550529835460.png

Suzuki 250 Savage - new

1550529899335.png

Yamaha RD350 (mine more gold than orange, see the DT1 above) - used

1550529975277.png

Suzuki GS750N - new, but with a little sport fairing, I painted it, and the fender, to match the tank.

1550530070217.png

Then came a real job for 20 years to earn my retirement at 49, whereupon the Bandit was an early purchase.

It had been so long since I'd ridden I had it delivered.

1550530538374.png

Erik

You do mean 155? as both cars are limited to that
I've meant kilometres per hour, not miles.

Real difference is from about 100 mph
This is not true. Starting from less than 50 mph M3 already accelerates almost two times faster. There is a huge difference in dynamics between those two cars and you feel it no matter if you are on a highway or on a country lane.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Past bikes, not my photos, but no different.

Yamaha DT1-B Enduro - used

View attachment 22179

Suzuki 500 Titan - new

View attachment 22180

Suzuki 250 Savage - new

View attachment 22181

Yamaha RD350 (mine more gold than orange, see the DT1 above) - used

View attachment 22182

Suzuki GS750N - new, but with a little sport fairing, I painted it, and the fender, to match the tank.

View attachment 22183

Then came a real job for 20 years to earn my retirement at 49, whereupon the Bandit was an early purchase.

It had been so long since I'd ridden I had it delivered.

View attachment 22184
Oh no, another former RD350 owner. 6 speed two stroke. If you were light (I was back then), it is light, and surprisingly quick little bike with that engine. Oil injection so no mixing oil with your gasoline. Saw a couple like new ones at the Barbers Vintage cycle fest couple years back.

Top Bottom