• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Show us your Cars

Raitsa

Volvo C40 AWD.
1jcnJWi.png

Karu

Forum Donor
I am seriously considering not owning a car, and joining a subscription/share club.

czM6Ly9oaXlhY2FyLWltYWdlcy1wcm9kdWN0aW9uL1FuOUR4SXVzUlU1V3RVTzJKNEw4Mko0dGtacVBUaGJIS0ZnWDc4VUNOT20yRWZlU25RWkZZcEJzWWIyaHdBeGdfYg.jpg

I am trying that, but it can be messy for anything spontaneous at more popular times.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What a waste of a mk2 golf ;) having owned many of them they wouldn’t be my first choice of pool table illumination, the headlights suffer from poor wiring architecture/design leading to a 2volts + drop at the bulbs and an easy fix is to wire in a switching relay, or fit a full hps system and 4 ballasts for high beam/dip beam (Slightly non legal)
Perhaps that's why the lighting is great for the pool table.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I was told I was a 'kicker' in the womb but I later realized that it must have been my lead (Pb) foot that musta caused my mother angst even before my birth.:facepalm:
It is a tough habit to kick when one was raised when petrol was 27cents a gallon; radar/laser speeding guns not yet in use; the driver point-system and the 'mandatory' insurance had NOT yet shifted into Scam-gear.
Green peer-pressure forced me to purchase an electric bicycle that is great for local duties but it will always be a love-hate Hate-Love relationship for us.
In the mean time, I am realizing that I must wear ear-plugs to save my hearing.
Personally, this seems more relevant to me than wearing a helmet... all the while, clocking at speeds of 28mph (Class3). << dumb!

sq225917

Major Contributor
Bmw e81 116i 2L 3dr. I prefer the bicycle, not that I've used car or bike lately

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Best stay at home then.
I travel everywhere, by ship, by plane, by train, etc.
But I don't go get in as many different cars as I can & bring what's on me or the cars home.
I have my own and keep it to my standard of cleanliness (running a hospital UV disinfection light in it from time to time, as I do in my home and in the business I own from time to time).
If you have read some of my other posts, you would know that I travel vastly and frequently.
But I won't wear used clothing until I have cleaned it with an oxygen mix, water that is more than 140 degrees, and a bromine or chlorine mix.
I do purchase used furniture (people don't wear cabinets & chest of drawers and I can keep them out of my house, in the heat and UV of my shed and clean them until I decide that they meet my standards of clean. Also, the chemicals present in new furniture has already been mitigated.
Will I rent a car? Yes but that is a risk I accept (4 times in my 66 years of life I have done that). It's not something I do every time I need a car (which is daily).
Have I gotten sick from riding in someone else's car? Yes. the car had green algae growing in the floorboard. He bought another car shortly there after and a lot of odd symptoms he had been having went away.
I sent my car from Guam in 2021 to the US because I bought it new in 2012 and keep it clean my way (the seats come out twice a year as part of the thorough cleaning).
Since it was my car and kept my way and only had 18.000 miles on' it made sense to me. (In GUAM I mostly drove my bought new in 2007 car with 55,000 miles on it, which I sold there). Therefore, I still drive my car, did a moderate cleaning before it shipped and upon arrival did a major cleaning..
Apparently you do stay close to home a lot. I don't like city life, therefore, I have a different lifestyle. I eat more wild (animals, hunted, trapped or caught [fish]) and/or locally farmed animals, vegetables & fruit by virtue of where I live. But 45 minutes of driving will get you to a grocery store (or a hospital, should you need one).

I was just pointing out that you should take precautions such as doing your own cleaning when a rental car arrives.
I was not being SNARKY (I may be many things, but that is not one of them) or trolling for someone else to be SNARKY!

tuga

Major Contributor
I travel everywhere, by ship, by plane, by train, etc.
But I don't go get in as many different cars as I can & bring what's on me or the cars home.
I have my own and keep it to my standard of cleanliness (running a hospital UV disinfection light in it from time to time, as I do in my home and in the business I own from time to time).
If you have read some of my other posts, you would know that I travel vastly and frequently.
But I won't wear used clothing until I have cleaned it with an oxygen mix, water that is more than 140 degrees, and a bromine or chlorine mix.
I do purchase used furniture (people don't wear cabinets & chest of drawers and I can keep them out of my house, in the heat and UV of my shed and clean them until I decide that they meet my standards of clean. Also, the chemicals present in new furniture has already been mitigated.
Will I rent a car? Yes but that is a risk I accept (4 times in my 66 years of life I have done that). It's not something I do every time I need a car (which is daily).
Have I gotten sick from riding in someone else's car? Yes. the car had green algae growing in the floorboard. He bought another car shortly there after and a lot of odd symptoms he had been having went away.
I sent my car from Guam in 2021 to the US because I bought it new in 2012 and keep it clean my way (the seats come out twice a year as part of the thorough cleaning).
Since it was my car and kept my way and only had 18.000 miles on' it made sense to me. (In GUAM I mostly drove my bought new in 2007 car with 55,000 miles on it, which I sold there). Therefore, I still drive my car, did a moderate cleaning before it shipped and upon arrival did a major cleaning..
Apparently you do stay close to home a lot. I don't like city life, therefore, I have a different lifestyle. I eat more wild (animals, hunted, trapped or caught [fish]) and/or locally farmed animals, vegetables & fruit by virtue of where I live. But 45 minutes of driving will get you to a grocery store (or a hospital, should you need one).

I was just pointing out that you should take precautions such as doing your own cleaning when a rental car arrives.
I was not being SNARKY (I may be many things, but that is not one of them) or trolling for someone else to be SNARKY!
I hardly ever use the car, which is why I am considering selling it and using a car club.
I am fortunate enough that I can cycle to work. Or walk when it's freezing.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was told I was a 'kicker' in the womb but I later realized that it must have been my lead (Pb) foot that musta caused my mother angst even before my birth.:facepalm:
It is a tough habit to kick when one was raised when petrol was 27cents a gallon; radar/laser speeding guns not yet in use; the driver point-system and the 'mandatory' insurance had NOT yet shifted into Scam-gear.
Green peer-pressure forced me to purchase an electric bicycle that is great for local duties but it will always be a love-hate Hate-Love relationship for us.
In the mean time, I am realizing that I must wear ear-plugs to save my hearing.
Personally, this seems more relevant to me than wearing a helmet... all the while, clocking at speeds of 28mph (Class3). << dumb!
Last time I had a hearing test, I was asked if I rode in convertibles with the top down, I said yes, what's the point of having a convertible if you don't do that? At the time I had a T-Top car with no AC). Then I was asked about riding motorcycles without a helmet (that is legal here) I said yes, if I am staying on the neighborhood roads or trail riding (in the open, helmet is on when I am in the woods). I then asked: what about working on no muffler race cars & motorcycles, even when wearing ear plugs? They said that explains it, you should wear earplugs AND over the ear protection. Something I had not done. Then they asked: Military? I said yes. They said guns? I said 105 MM shells. They said ear protection? I said earplugs. They said you needed those and over the ear protection. I said Now What to do? They said use both types of protection as much as possible.
Especially when you are using your lawnmower, backpack blower & weed eater. I said why? They said some stuff is short duration but lower peak levels of noise for extended periods of time can actually do more harm than momentary peaks. So I now follow all their advice. And I think so should everyone else.
But, to each their own.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I hardly ever use the car, which is why I am considering selling it and using a car club.
I am fortunate enough that I can cycle to work. Or walk when it's freezing.
I could walk to my work in 45min-1 hr if I had to. But I am outside all day on 634 acres doing physical labor. It frequently is cold and windy (a high humidity wet cold) that, even though it is not freezing, the wind chill is less than freezing. Also, if it is raining, we don't co to work. If it starts raining, we go home until it stops. (a trip home in almost freezing rain on foot would not be fun (and in July and August the actual temps can be over 100F and the humidity 99%. So having some sort of vehicle that you are not doing the exerting to get you back & forth is probably best. Any time that the humidity is below the high 80;s, the weather may do any crazy thing with the wind. Walk the neighborhood, yes. Walk across the main road for any reason? Well, that's dicey. Through traffic has gotten high and the intersection out there has been reported as being the 3rd modt deadly in the State of South Carolina. So, on foot or bicycle at the main road is just not a good idea. And occasionally I see people with kid in a golf cart crossing it. I wince & pray every time I see that. Golf cart, whole family on board travelling perpendicular across (in front of) an oncoming 50 MPH tractor/trailer are not a good risk prospect. Many individuals have ben hit on foot or bicycle but so far the golf carts have won the real life (and real deadly) Frogger game.

Last edited:

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Then they asked: Military? I said yes. They said guns? I said 105 MM shells. They said ear protection? I said earplugs.
Would this mean you are part of that [I think] Class Action Lawsuit? ...Against [I think] 3M that had the contract for those mil-grade earplugs that were not so [umm...] mil-grade...

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Would this mean you are part of that [I think] Class Action Lawsuit? ...Against [I think] 3M that had the contract for those mil-grade earplugs that were not so [umm...] mil-grade...
I checked into that: No, that would not involve me, we had no 3M ear plugs within what I was doing, where I was doing it, at the time I was doing it.
Now, Honeywell (who bought Northern) earplugs, if there was an issue there, might be a problem.
I guess that is a good & bad thing simultaneously.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well I was raised to be honest. And lying to a police officer didn't seem like a good idea. Now I'd just use the 5th amendment. At the time it was an honest answer. My speed was 85 mph+, above that I could not say for sure so the honest answer was I don't know. I was aware that saying I didn't know could be used to say I was careless in operating the vehicle, but in this case he didn't know either. So he was fishing. A ticket for 85 mph or more was automatic reckless driving. In my state it was pretty much either a speeding ticket or reckless driving as they didn't have other things some states have. Again these days I'd simply not answer citing my 5th amendment rights. Didn't know enough to do that back then. So I took the ticket for 84 mph and moved on.

Since then once I was asked, "Do you know why I pulled you over?" My answer was I don't read minds and assume you will tell me. After a few more attempts to circle around that I did say I'll just use the 5th amendment and let you talk. Didn't get a ticket as they were confusing my car with one belonging to a drug dealer running a meth house nearby.
Here the various police agencies that do traffic "enforcement" (I notice that the word safety is not there) have an unwritten & unsaid standard of how far over the speed limit you may be (according to how they are measuring at the moment (RADAR, LIDAR, how long it takes you to go from one apparently random stripe in the road to another apparently random stripe in the road they view this from an airplane and correlate the seconds that it took you to go from one premeasured stripe to the next one, to your speed [naturally they have no way to compensate for the viewing parallax error, which means that they really have no idea of what speed that you were going and can be successfully challenged in court {as can be RADAR if the RADAR is at more than just a few degrees of angle to your traveling direction} before they pull you over for speeding: 8 (MPH over the limit) is fine, 9 (MPH over the limit) your mine. Shortened to '8 is fine, 9 your mine'.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My screaming flat plane V8 with 6-speed manual is great fun for hooliganing about but I hardly ever use it.
Ummmmm...
You don't look the type [?] who would own:
A "Voodoo", or
A "not a SmallBlock" LT6, or exotics, like:
An Esprit, or
A TVR, or
Possibly not a F430+, but
Maybe a MickieLaren (570S?)...
Which leaves me thinking you are speaking of the 918.
EDIT: Just found out at page 50-something, @Frank Dernie answered as Ferrari
Too bad that not-so cranky rotary (redline @9200rpm) never made it to the "Big boys" club.:(

Organic-to-steam-to-electric-to-ICE-to-electric << Will steam an/or organic become fashionable in the future again?

Last edited:
Top Bottom