• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are daily reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Show us your Cars

ErVikingo

Forum Donor
Cars... the other obsession.

Here are a couple of the stable, same make, many, many years apart.

The old one is a bit of a sleeper with a mean streak and stupid fun to drive. It weighs about 2100 lbs and makes almost 300hp at the crank. 2.8L flat 6 revs to almost 9k, short stack gearbox.

The other car is the polar opposite. Dead quiet, but a great drive. Has me hooked on EV as a thing.

View attachment 326411View attachment 326413
View attachment 326414
Very cool, I currently own a 69 S and a 78 SC-R. Past flames, 65 911, 66 911, 67 911S (euro factory rally car), 69S race car, 76 914 2.0, 964 Carrera Cup, 993 Carrera Cup, 993 RSR, 996 GT3 Cup, 997 Grand Am Cup, 997 GT3R Evo, 991.1 GT3R

audio_tony

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I've owned around 37 cars in the past 25 years - these are my past favourites;

Peugeot 406 Coupe - 3L V6

406-coupe-left-side.jpg

BMW 525i Sport

bmw4.jpg

BMW 535i 3.5 V8

bmw535i_037.jpg

And my current car:

BMW 325ci Sport

1700149943770.png

Others I've owned, Skoda Octavia VRS, Honda Accord Coupe, Porsche 944 (money pit!), a couple of Audi A4 Quattros (1.8T, 2.8 V6, 3L V6).

Probably the most interesting one was a BMW E30 316 with a Rover 3.5L V8.

ErVikingo

Forum Donor
Here are some shots of some of the cars!

Attachments

• IMG_5275.jpeg
    IMG_5275.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_5197.jpeg
    IMG_5197.jpeg
    331.7 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_5190.jpeg
    IMG_5190.jpeg
    513.6 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2712.jpeg
    IMG_2712.jpeg
    277.7 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_9178.jpeg
    IMG_9178.jpeg
    453.5 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1019.jpeg
    IMG_1019.jpeg
    89.4 KB · Views: 19
  • bd9fd1a3-f1e6-4645-b44d-1ec4191aba23.jpeg
    bd9fd1a3-f1e6-4645-b44d-1ec4191aba23.jpeg
    338 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_4427.jpeg
    IMG_4427.jpeg
    355 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0527.jpeg
    IMG_0527.jpeg
    545.4 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_4219.jpeg
    IMG_4219.jpeg
    260.3 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_8515.jpeg
    IMG_8515.jpeg
    323.6 KB · Views: 21

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
When the kids were just learning to drive, we took them to Thunderhill for 'defensive' driving classes. It made them pretty good. Also recommended.
Love Thunder Hill, been on that track twice with my M3 and once as part of my friend's car in a 24 hour Lemon Car race.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I've owned around 37 cars in the past 25 years - these are my past favourites;

Peugeot 406 Coupe - 3L V6

406-coupe-left-side.jpg

BMW 525i Sport

bmw4.jpg

BMW 535i 3.5 V8

bmw535i_037.jpg

And my current car:

BMW 325ci Sport

View attachment 326644

Others I've owned, Skoda Octavia VRS, Honda Accord Coupe, Porsche 944 (money pit!), a couple of Audi A4 Quattros (1.8T, 2.8 V6, 3L V6).

Probably the most interesting one was a BMW E30 316 with a Rover 3.5L V8.
Lovely cars, you should have kept your 406 Coupe, E34 and E39, they are all future classics and still nice to drive today, I also had a E39 540i, E36 325iC and E46 330Ci which I now regret having sold and wanted to buy also 406 Coupe, but at least have the same E34 since 1992 which my dad and I bought new back then.

audio_tony

Lovely cars, you should have kept your 406 Coupe, E34 and E39
Yes, I regret selling the 406 and the two BMWs. Up until about 2 years ago, I had an E39 523i which I bought with ~190k on the clock. 3 years and around £3k later I sold it with about 215k on the clock. Despite being a 523 with 'only' 192bhp it was a really nice car and I miss it.

I had really bad form for buying cars, getting them running really well and then selling them....!

Now in semi retirement I've had to stop my car buying & selling habits lol!

Jimster480

Major Contributor
many EVs can manage over 300 (480 km) miles per charge.
They are improving all the time.
On my lowly Hyundai, I can get well over 300 miles provided:
- city driving (not highway driving)
- full recuperation.
- gentle driving. In London most side roads are 20mph! cameras everywhere.
- 5% charge to 100%. which I only did once. to maintain the battery life, I keep it 20% to 80% normally. I still get over 200 miles.
The problem with EVs in general is battery wear. You really have to try to take care of the battery in order for it to last for a long time. Just take a look at used Nissan Leaf and used Tesla models... Tesla does everything they can to hide the battery degredation but it is still there... many cars with a few years of use are at 20% of battery degredation....

Electric cars can serve a purpose for driving in cities, especailly at lower speeds. I myself am looking to find a reasonably priced LEAF to be able to use with a Solar Grid I am working on building (since it has bidirectional charging) and to offset some miles from my gas cars if gas prices spike again.... which they might with all the "WW3" nonsense going on.

At the end of the day; EV's cannot replace gas cars. In order for EVs to get near GAS / Diesel (ICE) vehicles; radically new battery technology needs to be developed and all power plants need to be switched to Nuclear. Electric vehicles currently only work for people who don't drive that much and charge them from home.
If you don't believe me just go take a look at a few of the hundreds of Youtube videos from people who used EV's for Ridesharing and such and see the horrible degredation over a couple years... 120k miles on an EV and the battery is usually toast.
Only people who don't drive that much, don't charge to full, don't do long trips, don't drive too fast are the ones who can benefit from EVs.
Longer highway trips cause additional battery load, battery heat, etc
When it is cold outside the batteries have to be heated and when it is really hot; the batteries have to be cooled (to an extent).

Last edited by a moderator:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The problem with EVs in general is battery wear. You really have to try to take care of the battery in order for it to last for a long time. Just take a look at used Nissan Leaf and used Tesla models... Tesla does everything they can to hide the battery degredation but it is still there... many cars with a few years of use are at 20% of battery degredation....

Electric cars can serve a purpose for driving in cities, especailly at lower speeds. I myself am looking to find a reasonably priced LEAF to be able to use with a Solar Grid I am working on building (since it has bidirectional charging) and to offset some miles from my gas cars if gas prices spike again.... which they might with all the "WW3" nonsense going on.

At the end of the day; EV's cannot replace gas cars and the idea that they are greener is just a farce spread by climate activists pushing us towards a totalitarian one world government concept. In order for EVs to get near GAS / Diesel (ICE) vehicles; radically new battery technology needs to be developed and all power plants need to be switched to Nuclear. Electric vehicles currently only work for people who don't drive that much and charge them from home.
If you don't believe me just go take a look at a few of the hundreds of Youtube videos from people who used EV's for Ridesharing and such and see the horrible degredation over a couple years... 120k miles on an EV and the battery is usually toast.
Only people who don't drive that much, don't charge to full, don't do long trips, don't drive too fast are the ones who can benefit from EVs.
When it is cold outside the batteries have to be heated and when it is really hot; the batteries have to be cooled (to an extent).
I don't believe you. I'm not sure anything you posted is true. I don't have an EV, but a relative and a couple of friends do. At best some of your suppositions might sort of be true in some situations. They are not true in general. The early Leafs were just poorly designed in terms of caring for the battery. Don't know about newer ones. I've been a passenger in EVs for trips in hot weather.

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
There are thousands of places all over the internet to argue about EVs. Can we post pics of cool cars in this thread and argue elsewhere?

Axo1989

Major Contributor
... EV's cannot replace gas cars and the idea that they are greener is just a farce spread by climate activists pushing us towards a totalitarian one world government concept. In order for EVs to get near GAS / Diesel (ICE) vehicles; radically new battery technology needs to be developed and all power plants need to be switched to Nuclear. ...

Hard to tell which is more horrifying, the misplaced political manifesto or using the apostrophe for a plural. :eek:

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There are thousands of places all over the internet to argue about EVs. Can we post pics of cool cars in this thread and argue elsewhere?
And many new cool EVs and new ones all the time to show off and talk, not argue about. New and old this thread is about car love and interest.

Ken1951

ferrari_330_lm_250_gto_rm_sothebys_auction_41.jpg

Now here's a car! My vote for perhaps the most beautiful ever. Drive to the track, race, then drive it home. Which is what some did back in the day. I've loved this car from the first time I saw one in a Road & Track magazine borrowed from my local public library when I was about 12. The car would have been a year or two old at that time.

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The problem with EVs in general is battery wear. You really have to try to take care of the battery in order for it to last for a long time. J
True enough, but my Hyundai has a battery warranty for 8 years. They are getting better, just like any new tech. they need time and investment, but they will get there.
Electric cars can serve a purpose for driving in cities, especailly at lower speeds.
Again true enough. Aren't the cities the most in need of cleaner air??
At the end of the day; EV's cannot replace gas cars and the idea that they are greener is just a farce spread by climate activists pushing us towards a totalitarian one world government concept. In order for EVs to get near GAS / Diesel (ICE) vehicles; radically new battery technology needs to be developed and all power plants need to be switched to Nuclear. Electric vehicles currently only work for people who don't drive that much and charge them from home.
Now you are getting too political and biased against, and here is not the place for that argument, so I won't.
Just remember, Hyundai warranty on batteries is 8 years, 100K miles!
If the technology is allowed to mature, it will eventually surpass gas cars on every point, by an electric mile!
Over and out on this issue.

Here it is:

IMG_20230802_151249.jpg
IMG_20230802_151432.jpg

IMG_20230802_151424.jpg
1700175258207.png

Not a big or fancy car. Good enough for me and London.

Last edited:

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I opted for the i4 eDrive 40. It has 335 horsepower at the rear wheels (only). On the flats it is much quicker than my 315 HP Golf R due to the torque of the EV motor. Pulling up a steep hill its own weight kills that exilleration and I wish I had opted for the 536 HP M50 version... next time. All in all it is a really fun car though.
I like the green. I got my i4 M50 in blue. My dad got the e40 and loves it. My friend has an M50 and is trading it in soon for the i5 M60. He's older, though. :)

Somafunk

Major Contributor

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

At the end of the day; EV's cannot replace gas cars. In order for EVs to get near GAS / Diesel (ICE) vehicles; radically new battery technology needs to be developed and all power plants need to be switched to Nuclear. Electric vehicles currently only work for people who don't drive that much and charge them from home.
The Leaf had issues because the batteries weren't properly cooled. Used Teslas have very little degradation. 200k miles from a battery is no problem unless something unusual goes wrong. 20% loss? What's your source. From what I've seen, 20% battery loss is a bit high even at 100k miles.

I'm not surprised that you're getting your info from YouTube.

droid2000

ferrari_330_lm_250_gto_rm_sothebys_auction_41.jpg

Now here's a car! My vote for perhaps the most beautiful ever. Drive to the track, race, then drive it home. Which is what some did back in the day. I've loved this car from the first time I saw one in a Road & Track magazine borrowed from my local public library when I was about 12. The car would have been a year or two old at that time.
Just saw one in person at the Ferrari factory. Also got some pics of what I think is the best rear of any car ever made lol. 1984 288 GTO. Not the greatest shots tho.

IMG_3485.jpg

IMG_3486.jpg

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I apologize for my ignorance but I can't be the only American who does not understand the French auto industry/manufacturers.:facepalm:

*Why does France need 3 different car manufacturers, which seem to live in an alternate universe vis-a-vis to their mighty counterparts in Germany and Italy?
*I don't know what ever happened to Citroen (+umlaut) but I cringe each time I think of their 2CV (<< English translation = Aztek).
*What kinda of a puzzle-piece is Peugeot and do they only serve France' domestic market and why?
*So, I can say "Yes. I kinda know Renault because of their long-term involvement in Formula1" but besides their 4CV (in the 1960s); je ne sais rien d'autre!
*An easy marque name to remember is Ampere, which is about to go IPO as the EV division of one of the CPR.
*Then, there is that strange poly-amorous relationship of Renault with BOTH Nissan and Mitsubishi.

I mean no disrespect to France or French people but the competitive pressures from (not just w/i EU) East and West must be weighing quite heavy for CPRs' balance sheets.
N'est ce pas?:oops:

Top Bottom