• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Show us your Cars

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Here's a Pontiac you don't see everyday. A buddy of mine has a shop where he works on some very unusual cars.

Batman 1 small.jpg
Batman Interior 1 small.jpg
Batman Rear 1 small.jpg
Batman Rear 2 small.jpg

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Cross Turismo 4S
Given I won’t buy an SUV or crossover there are very few EV choices for me.

rivian.png

I ordered my Rivian R1S in Janurary of this year. I just received a notice with an estimated build date of 2024. :eek: Looks like we're keeping the XC90 longer than anticipated.

Martin

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I had much the same opinion of SUV's that Frank Dernie does. Never wanted one....period. I did in recent years acquire one mid-size SUV. Needed it to transport people even older than me. Step in, step out, just general ergonomics for public highway use is actually outstanding. I to my great surprise fell in love with it.

Now I do keep two sports cars and can have the kind of engaging car when it is just me. I don't know if it is just getting old or what. It rather strikes me now as a matter or my real use and needs the sports cars are the goofy idea. Sort of trying to shoe horn a track car into daily driver use. Actually kind of foolish thinking I've had for so long. Sports cars are still much more fun, but as much as I'd like to think otherwise, fun driving is a rather minority part of my transportation needs. Increasingly poorly maintained roads, everyone else driving a giant tall truck, and too much traffic mean an SUV or Crossover is the smart choice. At least around where I live.

Also serious sports cars now have far too much performance for getting the best of them on public roads. My Miata is a good sports car more so than some supercar.
I rarely have use for my sports car any more too :(, but I never have use for a SUV simply because something that heavy and unaerodynamic is anathema.
Just a good proper car is fine, but so unfashionable there are few choices.

An estate car usually is lighter and has lower drag. One of my colleagues got a BMX X5 instead of a 5 series estate car and couldn’t wait to go back to the estate car since his ‘bike only went into the X5 with its front wheel removed and it used twice as much fuel whilst having an inferior ride and much worse handling.

I do understand a few of them are less rubbish than they used to be though.

Another reason I won’t ever have one is that one of the tyre engineers I know wouldn’t drive them because they have lower grip tyres fitted to reduce the risk of rollover so more likely to crash in an emergency braking situation.

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I rarely have use for my sports car any more too :(, but I never have use for a SUV simply because something that heavy and unaerodynamic is anathema.
Couldn't agree more... I found a practical solution for my needs. The Golf R is a blast to drive, can carry a ton of gear and gets reasonable milage for a 150mph performer.

Golf R.jpg

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
is that an E9 bare-metal restoration back in the corner? :oops:
I don't remember what it was, but that sounds about right. I have seen amazing things come out of my friend's shop including many that go on to win awards in Monterey during Car Week.

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Couldn't agree more... I found a practical solution for my needs. The Golf R is a blast to drive, can carry a ton of gear and gets reasonable milage for a 150mph performer.

View attachment 247836
At the moment, I have a Golf SV Diesel!
Flick it into sport, and the sucker goes ....
Really!
SV is a bit bigger version, and on Diesel and economy setting I get 40mpg city driving, with occasional sport mode.
Getting an EV soon, so perhaps my daughter may like the VW.
Ordered the EV in late Aug. - getting it early June.

bloodshoteyed

Major Contributor
I don't remember what it was, but that sounds about right. I have seen amazing things come out of my friend's shop including many that go on to win awards in Monterey during Car Week.

sure looks like it

with all the cars i've been around for the best part of my life (since growing up around them; my old man worked in a body shop for the best par tof his life), that one became my first love, almost an obsession...

it looked just like this:
BMW-3.0-CS-Fjord-11.jpg

Ken1951

Addicted to Fun and Learning
sure looks like it

with all the cars i've been around for the best part of my life (since growing up around them; my old man worked in a body shop for the best par tof his life), that one became my first love, almost an obsession...

it looked just like this:
BMW-3.0-CS-Fjord-11.jpg
One of the most beautiful cars ever to grace a road IMHO.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thread is "Show us your Cars" << I get it... but... based on some other inputs, I hope I won't get in trouble for posting some photos of rare vehicles, which I did NOT OWN but took photos of with MY OWN camera:
Batmobile:
201703_PetersensMuseum24-Batmobile.JPG

BatCycle:
201703_PetersensMuseum25-BatCycle1966.JPG

SpeedRacer:
201703_PetersensMuseum23-SpeedRacer.JPG

2 Art deco BMWs:
201703_PetersensMuseum19-HaringBMW1990.JPG

201610_PetersenAutomotiveMuseum63-1995BMW850HockneyStreetPaint.JPG

2 Porsches:
201610_PetersenAutomotiveMuseum27-Porsche.JPG

201610_PetersenAutomotiveMuseum29-1964Porsche904CarreraGTS.JPG

Bizzarini:
201610_PetersenAutomotiveMuseum38-Bizzarrini.JPG

Even More 'bizarre (rotary vette):
201610_PetersenAutomotiveMuseum31-RotaryVetteWasScrapped.JPG

Ford GT rebirth:
201610_PetersenAutomotiveMuseum43-2017FordGT.JPG

BoydCoddington Coupe:
201610_PetersenAutomotiveMuseum11-1992BoydCoddingtonAlumaCoupe.JPG

How do you like them caps???
201610_PetersenAutomotiveMuseum13-BackToTheFuture.JPG

:)

Last edited:

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have two SUV-like things, a Lexus and a Subaru (both purchased new and both overpaid for), and I hate them both. They are, however, very practical for hauling kiddo around and carrying groceries, Home Depot, etc.

I will not be sharing pictures.

As @Thomas savage said to me at one point, it's over...

I commend you all for your better car choices.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

An estate car usually is lighter and has lower drag. One of my colleagues got a BMX X5 instead of a 5 series estate car and couldn’t wait to go back to the estate car since his ‘bike only went into the X5 with its front wheel removed and it used twice as much fuel whilst having an inferior ride and much worse handling.

I do understand a few of them are less rubbish than they used to be though.

Another reason I won’t ever have one is that one of the tyre engineers I know wouldn’t drive them because they have lower grip tyres fitted to reduce the risk of rollover so more likely to crash in an emergency braking situation.
I agree with what you have to say. When you have need to transport elderly people in poor health then aerodynamics, and the finer points of handling are way down the list. Yes even a large estate sedan is not as useful. I never expected to like one as much as I did however. While at any point in time a sedan is more efficient than an SUV, the vehicle I replaced used more fuel because the newer engine tech more than overcomes the differences.

Were I replacing my vehicle currently something like you have there is right about what kind of automobile I'd hone in on. I want the next one to be an EV, and they are still something I'd have to wait a year or so on. Something of the appropriate type will come along soon.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I agree with what you have to say. When you have need to transport elderly people in poor health then aerodynamics, and the finer points of handling are way down the list. Yes even a large estate sedan is not as useful. I never expected to like one as much as I did however. While at any point in time a sedan is more efficient than an SUV, the vehicle I replaced used more fuel because the newer engine tech more than overcomes the differences.

Were I replacing my vehicle currently something like you have there is right about what kind of automobile I'd hone in on. I want the next one to be an EV, and they are still something I'd have to wait a year or so on. Something of the appropriate type will come along soon.
That car journalist Dan Neil says that the new Cadillac Lyriq (2wd @$63k) is neither an SUV or a station wagon.;)

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
That car journalist Dan Neil says that the new Cadillac Lyriq (2wd @$63k) is neither an SUV or a station wagon.;)
I had not read what Dan Neil said, but had that conclusion myself. It isn't huge, tall or small. Sort of a large hot hatch 4 door luxury thing. It actually looks appealing to me in lots of ways. Do I trust GM to get this right?

TheAVInsider

While attending college, this was my daily driver. Can you name this one, circa 1992? Had an all Class A Soundstream system deployed inside. Wouldn't win the SPL competitions, but the acoustics inside were just amazing. Daft Punk "Homework" on repeat.
My weekend warrior was a red Ford Bronco II with a custom Scottish plaid airbrush paint job. Sorry, those pics got destroyed.

1992_mitsubishi_3000gt-vr4_20220413_122043-21952.jpg

Somafunk

Major Contributor
Mitsubishi 3000GT?,

Top Bottom