• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Show us your Cars

Juhazi

Major Contributor
DS won Monte Carlo Rally in 1966, driver Pauli Toivonen CX appeared in Rally GPs too in ´70s http://www.citroenet.org.uk/sport/cx-sport.html

z233.jpg

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
0_JS175509726.jpg

Yes, I love the whole manual everything, old gauges, smells like fuel and Armour All, car wax and cruises real nice. I drove one of these red Midgets for several years as a daily driver. 1500cc 4 speed of cruising 60km/h goodness and topped out at about 150km/h. I drove it everyday for 2-5 hours a day and baby'ing it other than not speeding too much. Lotsa miles and it held up well. West Coast car for sure. Held up to the rain very well. It had a full tranny and engine rebuild and then every 6 months into the shop for a $600-$1200 bill and after just drove it everywhere and it was real good to me considering it's age. :D The pic was robbed from the internet. :D

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
0_JS175509726.jpg

Yes, I love the whole manual everything, old gauges, smells like fuel and Armour All, car wax and cruises real nice. I drove one of these red Midgets for several years as a daily driver. 1500cc 4 speed of cruising 60km/h goodness and topped out at about 150km/h. I drove it everyday for 2-5 hours a day and baby'ing it other than not speeding too much. Lotsa miles and it held up well. West Coast car for sure. Held up to the rain very well. It had a full tranny and engine rebuild and then every 6 months into the shop for a $600-$1200 bill and after just drove it everywhere and it was real good to me considering it's age. :D The pic was robbed from the internet. :D
Does the Home4Cancer refer to the probability these will rust in wet climes? Or rather some charity?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Does the Home4Cancer refer to the probability these will rust in wet climes? Or rather some charity?
Lol.. Keen eye on the front license plate. :D The example that I was driving had a nice life in the wet West Coast Rainforest climate of Vancouver where salt on the roads does not exist at all. All my Vancouver cars had a clean undercarriage from the persistent rain and needed lub more often from the constant rain. :D

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Lol.. Keen eye on the front license plate. :D The example that I was driving had a nice life in the wet West Coast Rainforest climate of Vancouver where salt on the roads does not exist at all. All my Vancouver cars had a clean undercarriage from the persistent rain and needed lub more often from the constant rain. :D
No salt in Alaska either. They use crushed slate in South Central Alaska where I grew up. It works so much better than salt. The cinders they use in Montana and Idaho are also superior to salt, but not as good as the Alaskan slate because of the lighter color and difference in albedo. Today there is a lot of salt in parking lots, unfortunately. When I lived in New York, I used to say the trucks were out 'salting the cars.'

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Here's another great sounding engine, from a car that was super-fun to drive. It can be hard to tell whether it's kit-built or factory:

View attachment 97128

View attachment 97129

Panoz AIV?

When I was old enough to be academically obsessed with cars but not yet old enough to drive, Danny Panoz camped out in the lobby of our local Publix with an AIV and I happened to see it while walking through with my mom. Back then they were still using the "Mustang 5.0" pushrod engine, I read magazines like the late Sports Car International (the best US-published car magazine by far) back then the way some kids read comic books, and SCI had run a feature on the AIV. I was excited to see such a cool car liven up a cookie-cutter suburb, and Mr. Panoz was excited to meet somebody who had heard of his car and thought it was cool. I ended up having a fairly long conversation with him, while Mom shopped. Then we got in her VW Eurovan (Caravelle to the UK/EU folks) with its anemic 2.5L Audi 5-pot and drove home.

To this day, I'm not sure why Mr. Panoz was there. Publix is a good supermarket, and at the time that might have been the only Publix in GA. But Publix is a normal supermarket where one buys staples, not exactly the food halls of Harrod's or the 6. etage of KaDeWe. Also, it's in a subdivision that, while comfortable, was and is not one of the "high end" city neighborhoods and not the kind of place where people regularly drop $80k or whatever on impractical sports cars.

A mate of mine who used to work at Ferrari told me one of the biggest lessons they learned which helped sales was that they must be easy to get into and out of :)

That's why I didn't trade my 2001SE Miata for a Lotus Elise when I had the opportunity during the previous economic crisis. The Elise was even more fun to drive, and barely less practical. However, with those slit doors and super wide sills it's damn near impossible for a six-feet-and-change male who doesn't have the body control of a Terry McLaurin or Keenan Allen to get in or out of an Elise without looking like an ungainly fool. And if you want to drive around a girl in a skirt or dress, forget it.

MRC01

Major Contributor
Panoz AIV? ... When I was old enough to be academically obsessed with cars but not yet old enough to drive, Danny Panoz camped out in the lobby of our local Publix with an AIV and I happened to see it while walking through with my mom. ...
Yep, and great story. They made about 187 of those cars, so they knew every customer/driver. I never spoke with Danny but I did speak with John Leverett several times, getting advice on various mods for autocrossing that car. Great company, great cars.

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How about a beach Buggy ?
During High-school I had neighbours having 2 of these beasts and always wanted one.

1609441838704.png

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Last edited:

Juhazi

Major Contributor
You have better EV options and governmental support in Finland
But watching the video, it has the advantage of the additional integrated GPL tank aso. It's the Eastern EU equivalent of ChiFi ?

EV and PHEV options are way much more expensive! Stepway with all options will be around 15.000€. Smaller Mii-e and e-UP are 20.000 and almost same size Clio and Fiesta MHEV are around 24.000 with navigation and cruise. Peugeot e-208 is 35.000€. With EVs I'd have to install a charging station at my house, which will cost several thousand €!

P.s. Driving in winter freezing temp is poison to EV range!

Last edited:

StefaanE

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Matchbox.

Top Bottom