• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Show us your Cars

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Wombat

Master Contributor
@Sal1950 this looks like something that fits you to a T. If they let you drive it on some Florida beaches it would be nice. Might even work in swampy areas that aren't too deep.

It needs these big baby pacifiers fitted :facepalm:

quad50.jpg

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Bought in 1998 this Lotus Esprit Turbo. A promise to my self (18 years at the time) when i saw the damm thing driving out the sea in the James Bond movie "The Spy Who loved me" This is a later model first one with fuel injection as an option. Had a great car stereo with Bose speakers & a Alpine radio cassetedeck never played so much Jamiroquai as in this car. Drove like a rollercoaster. Hangs at my mancave wall (done bucketlist).

2HM3d6i.jpg

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
View attachment 30868

A pic I took while they were both winter napping. '89 Spider and '72 Montreal.
That Montreal is a really beautiful car. They never were shipped to the USA so I've only seen them in pictures. I can see you are a true Alfa Romeo fan however. You have the requisite case of Smirnoff vodka every owner must have. :)

Either that or a painter. A painter whom I've known since school when someone would look at him in his work clothes and ask if he was a painter, would look down as if surprised then say, "looks like I am a painter, that means I'm an alcoholic. Never saw a painter that wasn't. I think I'll have a vodka."

Would love to see pics of the Alfa's outdoors if you get a chance.

Vapor9

Ha
That Montreal is a really beautiful car. They never were shipped to the USA so I've only seen them in pictures. I can see you are a true Alfa Romeo fan however. You have the requisite case of Smirnoff vodka every owner must have. :)

Either that or a painter. A painter whom I've known since school when someone would look at him in his work clothes and ask if he was a painter, would look down as if surprised then say, "looks like I am a painter, that means I'm an alcoholic. Never saw a painter that wasn't. I think I'll have a vodka."

Would love to see pics of the Alfa's outdoors if you get a chance.

Ha, love that painter quote. I think we did split that case with some neighbors. Me, I'm actually more of a gin guy - love a good gin & tonic, Tom Collins or Aviation. :)

I'll be looking for some more photo opps here in Illinois this late summer/fall - maybe some low level fog yet sunny on a morning. Still don't have any real nice ones of the spider.

Got new carpet for the Montreal to put in soon and some rust repair in the spare tire well to do. Already did a refresh of all suspension and had after-market high-performance disk brakes put in front.

DSC05528.jpg

CTRLM

Love the Montreal, as a former Alfa owner I'm a bit of a tragic.

However my heavily modded Beemer is now 6 years old and still puts a huge stupid grin on my face when I drive it. I'll probably be buried in it as it owes me a lot of money.

IMGP0014.jpg

Vapor9

Love
Love the Montreal, as a former Alfa owner I'm a bit of a tragic.

However my heavily modded Beemer is now 6 years old and still puts a huge stupid grin on my face when I drive it. I'll probably be buried in it as it owes me a lot of money.

View attachment 30911

Very Nice Beemer! My daily is a 10 year old semi-modded VW Rabbit. 130K on it, still runs and looks great and only had to replace a sensor and front calipers in all that time. Will probably give to my son next year to use at College which forces me to ponder a new Giulia or stay in the VW family with a GTI or such.

Zerimas

313112_10150313177887186_54818796_n.jpg

This was my 2001 Toyota Corolla CE. The picture was taken in 2011. Sadly it has gone to where ever good Toyotas go after they are gone. I drove for it while. It was pretty unremarkable, but it got the job done. It had CD player which I made frequent use of. I used to drive around Blasting Graceland or maybe some King Diamond. It was an automatic, but it had an "overdrive" button which I think just dropped it down a gear. Anyways that was actually kind of useful. When getting on to the highway I'd push the button and drop the pedal. This little Corolla with its 1.4L engine would get up to 100km in a fairly reasonable amount of time (long before I ran out of merging lane, but realistically not very quickly).

I used to drive this thing on the highway all the time to go to my girlfriend's house. I no longer have the car or the girl. It is not either were especially remarkable, but in retrospect that was "high point" life.

Sorry, I made this thread depressing by feeling sorry for myself.

Davelemi

Forum Donor
Prior to my son & daughter driving I had a Lexus IS350 and then a Lexus GS350. My wife preferred the kids driving in something with AWD and better visiblity so I picked up a Acura RDX. I also have a Honda Civic Touring Edition and between the 3 of us we share those 2 cars. My wife is on her 4th Toyota 4Runner. As far as the Acura? It's one of the most boring experiences one can imagine, but it makes my wife happy. Once my daughter graduates from high school and moves on to college I'm buying a Lexus RC-F...I'm already looking!

P9050095 copy.jpg

digicidal

Major Contributor
Briefly (was a Carmax disaster - returned in 5 day window)...
IMG_0770.JPG

Was way more fun to drive and great gas mileage... but uncomfortable and slow(ish) plus bad sound and electrical issues. Got this instead:
IMG_1017.JPG

Horrible efficiency, useless backseat, drives like a Mustang (good and bad), but is comfortable and the Mark Levinson system is very good IMO.

Once I see if there's any birthing pains (reliability wise) with the new C8... that will be the next one.

Last edited:

digicidal

Major Contributor

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
I swear that had to be the most popular color... either that or they all just eventually turned brown. :D
By the time it had to be terminated it had one dark blue door. I got towed for street cleaning and the door popped open and was ripped off by the tow company, they told my it was my fault. I said I'm calling the cops and filing a complaint so they got me a new door from the junk yard. Needless to say I have absolutely no interest in cars, at all.

digicidal

Major Contributor
Pulse and glide is a driving technique used to get all those unbelievable gas mileage records. You can get about 50-100% more than whatever your vehicle gets if you do this.

Hp/weight ratio tie ins? If you have too low a ratio, it will hamper your use of this technique because it will prevent you using the engine in its most efficient range.

Here is the technique as I used it. Accelerate at about 85% wide open throttle up to 45 mph, throw it in neutral and coast to 15 mph and repeat or if needed stop.

I slightly modified this technique: 10% throttle to 20 mph (tirespin otherwise), then WOT to 120 mph... then coast to a stop, pull over, get my car impounded and a ticket. Since the impound lot was >20 miles away... and I used only about .5 gallons of gas... I think I more than doubled my normal 16 mpg (though not exactly sure how long the 'glide' was actually).

Am I doing it right? :cool:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I slightly modified this technique: 10% throttle to 20 mph (tirespin otherwise), then WOT to 120 mph... then coast to a stop, pull over, get my car impounded and a ticket. Since the impound lot was >20 miles away... and I used only about .5 gallons of gas... I think I more than doubled my normal 16 mpg (though not exactly sure how long the 'glide' was actually).

Am I doing it right? :cool:
All depends upon your goals. Your car went far with very little gasoline usage. Good mpg. They'll take your car to the impound, but not you. So your passenger miles per gallon will suffer. You also aren't helping the general economy be more efficient because everyone involved taking the car to impound, taking you to jail or leaving you to phone for a pickup by someone else will use much more energy than if you simply drove legally. So I think your technique needs some polishing up.

I think your technique is similar to the worlds largest electric vehicle which never needs to recharge. I think externalities are being ignored. :p

https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1124478_world-s-largest-ev-never-has-to-be-recharged

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
IMG_20190818_163035976.jpgIMG_20190818_163023132.jpgIMG_20190818_162942284_HDR.jpgIMG_20190818_162920746_HDR.jpg
2017 Ram 1500 Crew 6'4" bed air ride. I wanna sell it, but then every once in a while I have a legit truck need.
2019 Jaguar I-Pace FE. Amazing car. Best car I've ever owned.
2014 Subaru Forester. Well, it's useful.
2013 Scion FR-S. Was a track and daily car. Now it's just a commute car for me. Now that the school year is starting, it'll be garaged and I'll drive the truck so kids can fit to and from school.

I'm not a fan of older cars, except to look at. I used to want an Esprit (Bond). Then I wanted a 7 (Prisoner). Then I wanted an Elise (Top Gear). I ended up with the FRS, which is much more usable than any Lotus and perhaps almost as fun. I also don't worry when it gets dinged. If I had a Ferrari, I'd probably never drive it. As it is, my wife is afraid to take the Jag to certain places. We've already had it vandalized once. :(

digicidal

Major Contributor
All depends upon your goals. Your car went far with very little gasoline usage. Good mpg.

I'm thinking the optimal solution is to find an office where my commute is downhill in both directions. :p Once I figure out how to put a turntable under the city... I'm golden.

Top Bottom