• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Show us your Cars

Blumlein 88

Major Contributor
How about some Detroit iron? I have the hots for one of these. 2020 mid-engine Corvette, probably 500 hp to start.
View attachment 24801
I'm sure that is going to be a terrific car. But I fear it may not turn out well for the Corvette as a product. The front engine version had an ample hatchback area. That allowed it to be a quite good do everything car for someone who owns only one car. You could buy groceries or other things in town, or pack plenty for trips, or even take your German Shepherd to the vet. etc etc as long as you could live with two seats.

The mid engine version is going to have pretty limited luggage or package space. I think the price will have to go up some. So higher price, likely higher maintenance costs for mid engine cars too, and no practical space may all bleed some sells off the car. I fear it may be a fine car, but fail to generate a volume of sales to make it worthwhile for Chevrolet to continue with it. I hope it isn't so successful a design it kills the Corvette.

I also prefer the long nose short tail look of a car to the mid-engine shape. But if the experience driving it is up to snuff I'd quickly forget about that. Maybe they know what they are doing and moving it up-market is a smart move.

Ron Texas

Major Contributor
@Blumlein 88 Limited luggage capacity is a concern for me. It has to hold enough for two to hit the road with clothes and photo gear. It's said the base price is only going up $5k, but that does sound optimistic. Small differences in lap times between GS and Z06 models (200 hp more) prove the platform has reached its limits. Actually, my Camaro with its Stingray motor but 350 lbs more mass is stupid fast.

Frank Dernie

Major Contributor
Patreon Donor
I'm sure that is going to be a terrific car. But I fear it may not turn out well for the Corvette as a product. The front engine version had an ample hatchback area. That allowed it to be a quite good do everything car for someone who owns only one car. You could buy groceries or other things in town, or pack plenty for trips, or even take your German Shepherd to the vet. etc etc as long as you could live with two seats.

The mid engine version is going to have pretty limited luggage or package space. I think the price will have to go up some. So higher price, likely higher maintenance costs for mid engine cars too, and no practical space may all bleed some sells off the car. I fear it may be a fine car, but fail to generate a volume of sales to make it worthwhile for Chevrolet to continue with it. I hope it isn't so successful a design it kills the Corvette.

I also prefer the long nose short tail look of a car to the mid-engine shape. But if the experience driving it is up to snuff I'd quickly forget about that. Maybe they know what they are doing and moving it up-market is a smart move.
It is actually easier (though not often enough done) to get a good weight distribution for a fast road car with a front engine than with mid.
I suspect this car is to homologate this layout for racing in the very competitive production car series. Will winning its class at Le Mans etc add to sales? I doubt it so, as you write, this may be much less suited to current owners than the existing one.
The only Corvette I have driven was a ZR1 and I loved it, though the interior was a bit low-rent and rattly for the price (here in the UK)

Blumlein 88

Major Contributor
It is actually easier (though not often enough done) to get a good weight distribution for a fast road car with a front engine than with mid.
I suspect this car is to homologate this layout for racing in the very competitive production car series. Will winning its class at Le Mans etc add to sales? I doubt it so, as you write, this may be much less suited to current owners than the existing one.
The only Corvette I have driven was a ZR1 and I loved it, though the interior was a bit low-rent and rattly for the price (here in the UK)
I think one of the better short descriptions of recent Corvettes was when someone said, "Performance of a car costing twice as much, build quality of a car costing half as much". I do think the interiors have been the weak point.

The Corvettes have had 49 front/ 51 rear weight distribution since the 1970s. A few engine transmission options alter that a percent either way. I would think a mid-engine car has a lower polar moment of inertia. Which I am supposing is better for racing though whether that is true you'd know that much better than I.

Tip

I think one of the better short descriptions of recent Corvettes was when someone said, "Performance of a car costing twice as much, build quality of a car costing half as much". I do think the interiors have been the weak point.
When I bought my C5 Corvette I also was looking at the Boxster and the M3. The C5 was the only one where the steering wheel was directly in front of the driver's seat, plus it had a heads-up display; the others had the steering wheel a few inches off-center (I hate that!) The C5 also had a huge rear storage space under the hatch where I could carry my expensive bicycle(s). So while the interior was cheap, it was more functional. After all, I've bought two cheap-but-functional WRXs ;^)

I'm still trying to decide on my next car. I'm leaning towards the Genesis G70 with the twin-turbo V6 and AWD or maybe the BMW M240ix. Any opinions?

JJB70

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The idea of a mid-engine Corvette just doesn't seem right. There is something about a big engine front engine muscle car that just seems more appealing to me than a mid-engine alternative.

Ron Texas

Major Contributor
Corvette interiors from the perspective of luxury are about the same as my Camaro SS, which is much better than a Malibu. Build quality on recent Chevys is extremely high, even if the plastic and switches aren't as pretty as a German luxury car.

Blumlein 88

Major Contributor
Corvette interiors from the perspective of luxury are about the same as my Camaro SS, which is much better than a Malibu. Build quality on recent Chevys is extremely high, even if the plastic and switches aren't as pretty as a German luxury car.
Well I've not spent time in the newer Camaro or the C7, but felt it applied to the C5 and C6. There wasn't anything really wrong with the interiors. They were mostly the better parts from other GM cars. But HVAC switches, turn signals, wiper, radio and light controls the feel of it all weren't what you'd expect from an expensive car. Door handles and the quality of the plastic seemed a bit down vs other cars. Now layout of the instrument panel and the HUD display were fine in my opinion. And it was part of the trade off vs something really expensive.

Ron Texas

Major Contributor
@Blumlein 88 I used to have a C4 with a manual transmission. It's rated HP of 300 was way conservative, it was too fast for that. The main drawback of the car was the chassis was not stiff enough. The C5, owners tell me was a big improvement in that area. I actually think the C6 is a better looking car than the C7. I prefer curves to the exploding knife factory look.

The dash in my Camaro is nice and so is the HUD, although I don't know if I really need it. The car is so fast that it is more about what it can do than what you actually get to do. Kind of nuts, but that's how it is.

Blumlein 88

Major Contributor
@Blumlein 88 I used to have a C4 with a manual transmission. It's rated HP of 300 was way conservative, it was too fast for that. The main drawback of the car was the chassis was not stiff enough. The C5, owners tell me was a big improvement in that area. I actually think the C6 is a better looking car than the C7. I prefer curves to the exploding knife factory look.

The dash in my Camaro is nice and so is the HUD, although I don't know if I really need it. The car is so fast that it is more about what it can do than what you actually get to do. Kind of nuts, but that's how it is.
Did you ever hear why the C4 was so flexible? I've driven a few and as they get more miles that get more squeaks and rattles noticeably. The design team for the C4 was getting the final round of sign offs from the higher ups, and some upper level managers insisted it be a targa top. Some marketings wizards said the Porsche with targa was more desirable and the C4 would have that. It was a last minute blind side. The chief engineer McLellen told them the body needed the top for stiffness. They ended up being told you do it with a targa top or we won't do it at all. We've been considering killing it altogether and without the targa it is dead. He told them there was no time to make the design right, and they said fine, you have 3 months or its over. And plan on a convertible within 2 years. That is why they have the big square beams at the bottom of the door openings. Only quick way to make it adequately stiff to even manufacture with a top that comes off.

That is also why the C5 and later were built on a backbone frame. So it could have the top come off, or be a convertible and be fairly stiff whatever the crazy marketing people forced on them. The C5s are markedly stiffer than the C4 which is too flexible. My father has a Indy pace car convertible C4 right now. His is a 1995 model.

Tip

That is also why the C5 and later were built on a backbone frame. So it could have the top come off, or be a convertible and be fairly stiff whatever the crazy marketing people forced on them. The C5s are markedly stiffer than the C4 which is too flexible. My father has a Indy pace car convertible C4 right now. His is a 1995 model.
That's true, but the C5 still wasn't all that stiff. The Z06 version of the C5 had a magnesium-reinforced fixed roof to make it stiffer. Side note: I worked at the same company and lived in the same neighborhood as Barb Hamilton-Advey (first woman in drag racing to receive an NHRA license for driving supercharged cars and the first woman to be inducted in the NHRA Hall of Fame). She had a C4 when I bought my C5. Then she bought a Z06 C5. We'd "race" each other on the drive home from work.

Frank Dernie

Major Contributor
Patreon Donor
I would think a mid-engine car has a lower polar moment of inertia. Which I am supposing is better for racing though whether that is true you'd know that much better than I.
Overall low polar moment is no real benefit on a F1 car. If one measures the maximum rotational acceleration the forces involved are tiny compared to cornering forces (about 1%) maybe on cars with much less grip it is more important but I have never looked into it since I don't have rotational acceleration data.
Low polar moment and low unsprung mass aren't worth chasing if it compromises something else.

Juhazi

Mid-engine Peugeot 205 T16 was perhaps the best rally car ever. It turned and jumped like no other! Vatanen, Kankkunen, Salonen, Saby reigned over Audi Quattros, Lancias etc. in group B haydays.

Last edited:

JJB70

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Interior quality is a funny old thing. At a rational level it may be silly but I find that nicely weighted and damped controls to be hugely satisfying. A few years ago I was looking for a small car and looked at the Toyota Yaris which I thought was the best car in its class at the time in objective terms but I couldn't bring myself to buy it because of the crappy interior feel. I find that in many ways Audi's are really not that good but one thing that they know how to do is how to make a nice interior. I have owned a couple of Audi's, neither was (or is, my current car is an Audi) brilliant in dynamic terms but they did/do feel nice inside.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T DIY Audio Forum 3
Ron Texas General Audio Discussions 1
rebbiputzmaker General Audio Discussions 3