• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are daily reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Show us your Cars

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Englishman!
:facepalm: ;)
When I was a student in London I went to a talk by a visiting professor from New York who was coming to the end of his tenure.
He said the 2 things he would miss the most when he went home (it was 1969) would be the weather and the BBC.

I had never been abroad and was totally bemused.

I subsequently did a student exchange summer in Milwaukee and began to understand what he meant, it was too hot for me the whole time I was there and I didn't find a single newspaper with anything other than local news and a single page of US wide news. Absolutely nothing about what was going on in the world at all!

Subsequently traveling mainly to hot places for work for over 30 years simply confirmed my preference for English weather ;)
The only thing I disliked about my job was it meant being in hot places often!

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The last two cars I ordered had at least three interior colors each, and the one before that had two. But they're luxury cars, so maybe you need to spend more?
Some makers offer a range of interior colours on some models but most sporty versions are only available in black here.
My Porsche doesn't have a black interior, nor does my old Mercedes, but the equivalent (fastest model) Merc today is only available black inside here nowadays.
My Ferrari has a black interior and that is one thing I hate about it. Otherwise engine and gearbox and exterior styling splendid.

Last edited:

audio_tony

Addicted to Fun and Learning
but most sporty versions are only available in black here
Indeed. I had a '94 BMW 525i Sport - black headlining and upholstery. 15 years later, I have an '02 BMW 325Ci Sport - black interior...

My other half has an '02 Audi A3 sport. Black interior as well, although there are some lighter coloured inserts in the seats.

At least neither car has black wheels...

This is also in the UK, and as you can see, I am enthusiastic about older cars.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My Porsche doesn't have a black interior, nor does my old Mercedes, but the equivalent (fastest model) Merc today is only available black inside here nowadays.
That is an issue of the importers though as any Mercedes can be ordered with non black interiors, even the modern equivalent of yours:

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
You can't see it here really but mine (dark blue exterior, not black) has light grey upholstery. I had to have the roof lining replaced so lacking light grey they did it in charcoal, which gives me a nice two-tone (the pillars are still grey as you can see) and the dash is black of course. Must do a photo inside one day. I like the lighter interior a lot actually.

View attachment 328606

The Audi TT, in my humble opinion, still stands as one of the most elegant designs to this day. It's remarkable, considering my once fervent passion for cars has now dwindled, and my current automotive interests lie in entirely different realms. During the era of my TT ownership, it held a special place among younger corporate leaders, akin to a sophisticated calling card of modernity when making client visits.
In my youth, I owned a vehicle that could be seen as a precursor to the Audi TT—the NSU Prinz TT. My inaugural automotive experience involved a trusty NSU Prinz 3. It was customary to cruise with the rear lid open, exposing the engine, as a preventive measure against overheating. Perhaps this unorthodox practice even contributed to enhanced aerodynamics.

Not my own photo, unfortunately I don't have any from that time:

der-ahn-der-kleinen-audis.jpg

Last edited:

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
Just to remember the NSU Prinz 3 - my first car owned in 1968. (Not my own picture)
Auto Union GmbH and NSU merged in 1969 to form Audi NSU Auto Union AG, and since 1985 the company has traded under the name AUDI AG with its headquarters in Ingolstadt - the four rings are still the company logo.

nsu-prinz-iii-gebaut-1960-165511.jpg

Last edited:

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I subsequently did a student exchange summer in Milwaukee and began to understand what he meant, it was too hot for me the whole time I was there and I didn't find a single newspaper with anything other than local news and a single page of US wide news. Absolutely nothing about what was going on in the world at all!
I get you! When I go to California, I feel the same about the weather, it is thick and chewy! and that is in Orange County, where the air is relatively clean!
When I get back, even to London, with its rather dirty air, I still feel I can breathe. It is lighter, thinner . . .
Regarding the bold texts above, just glance at Foxnews and the like, and see not much has changed.
USA is so big, a large percentage don't even have passports, so "the rest of the world" to some, is like other planets.
Obviously I can not mean any disrespect, majority of immediate family are US citizens.

BTW
My dad used to have one of these, in sky blue.
We went on many trips with it.
1700752934139.png

Last edited:

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Some makers offer a range of interior colours on some models but most sporty versions are only available in black here.
My Ferrari has a black interior and that is one thing I hate about it. Otherwise engine and gearbox and exterior styling splendid.
I looked at the MC20 configurator last night. It has about 90 interior color combos. Guess which one I liked? I don't think I'll ever end up getting an exotic car, though. I'd just feel bad about the trashing it would take where I live. Too much loose gravel. Too many speedbumps. I killed my old BMW 550i running over a tree trunk after somebody blinded me mid corner with their brights. My FRS ate a family of racoons all at once. Our Spark EV send a deer flying like a rag doll. If I ever bought the Ferrari BB Boxer I always wanted, I'd just leave it in the garage, and then we'd both feel sad.

I thought that Mercedes was offering some lighter interiors these days. I haven't driven one as a daily since I had a 1986 300SD hand-me-down from my parents. That wasn't a fast model, but it did have a black interior. :)

I'm sure there's a company that will swap the interior colors of your cars. You just have to not worry about resale value or keep the old interior and swap it back before you sell.

Svet Angelov

Anyway, back to real cars.

Here is another that I always had warm feelings for at the time . . .

1970 Barracuda:

View attachment 327045

Purple? Not just any purple, but Plymouth Purple People Eater Purple. This example is obviously restored and repainted, but the original paint scheme was probably the worst—and I mean the absolute worst—paint job to come out of any Detroit manufacturer. This particular paint color had the the worst habit of peeling right off the car in huge swathes after a few years of exposure to the elements. I never saw any Plymouth with the original paint in this color where the paint was not peeling. Despite that, this model year Barracuda—still to this day—really gets my juices flowing.
Bumpin' this while ridin' this!

Adaboy4z

I picked up a 2024 Camry SE. I hoping for 20 years of reliability like my uncle got from his Camry!!

Attachments

• 20231026_184152.jpg
    20231026_184152.jpg
    243.8 KB · Views: 43
  • 20231026_184144.jpg
    20231026_184144.jpg
    223.5 KB · Views: 43

Adaboy4z

Hopefully I'll be done with Beauty by end of Spring. 1958 Bel Aire

Attachments

• 20230829_133353.jpg
    20230829_133353.jpg
    527.4 KB · Views: 36

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I picked up a 2024 Camry SE. I hoping for 20 years of reliability like my uncle got from his Camry!!
I hope you get it, but doubt it.
You see 20 years ago, Toyota (just like the rest of the lot) didn't know how to build them cheap enough to only last the warranty period, plus 10%! They used to make them as best as they could, and of course, they were very reliable as a result.
Also, people kept them for 20 years and did not buy another!
They don't make that mistake no more.
Everything these days is made not to last!

bloodshoteyed

Major Contributor
...but the equivalent (fastest model) Merc today is only available black inside here nowadays...

they still have the Designo program, it's in the same ballpark as BMW's Individual....for a hefty surcharge, that is
(the pic i posted of the CLK interior that was the same as mine was from them, it wasn't available from the catalogue)

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm turning my Model Y into a rough roader. Bought 18" wheels. Stuffed BFGoodrich KO tires on them. They're not full mudders, which I'd have preferred, but they're the closest I can get. I'm debating putting the wheel covers on. Probably a good idea to.

Next step is figuring out how to best fabricate a full bully bar for the suicidal deer... and bicyclists. Perhaps some spikes?

PXL_20231123_030449740.jpg
PXL_20231123_030503869.jpg

ErVikingo

Forum Donor

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
On the notion of modern EV cars (I only know about mine!), I just used a very helpful feature today.
I don't know about you rich guys out there with your pricy petrol cars, but I had never seen this, though I had thought of it some 40 years ago (even wrote to Volvo about it).
- The feature is controlling the car through an app on my phone, in particular the space heating.
This morning it was freezing in London. I rolled back the curtains, to see the car covered in white frost. So I reached out for my phone and turned on the heater, by remote.
By the time I finished my cup of tea and got to the drive, the car was defrosted, inside was warm and cosy.
Even side mirrors and steering wheel heater was turned on.
Put a smile on my face! :)

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
On the notion of modern EV cars (I only know about mine!), I just used a very helpful feature today.
I don't know about you rich guys out there with your pricy petrol cars, but I had never seen this, though I had thought of it some 40 years ago (even wrote to Volvo about it).
- The feature is controlling the car through an app on my phone, in particular the space heating.
This morning it was freezing in London. I rolled back the curtains, to see the car covered in white frost. So I reached out for my phone and turned on the heater, by remote.
By the time I finished my cup of tea and got to the drive, the car was defrosted, inside was warm and cosy.
Even side mirrors and steering wheel heater was turned on.
Put a smile on my face! :)
This is a much appreciated feature of my EV too in winter!

Top Bottom