• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Show us your Car Stereos

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
and what you did to overcome the difficulties of SQ in a car's cabin

or what OEMs are doing...

OP
Wes

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
speaker in door showing plywood mounting plate.jpg

A800

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Focal.
Exemplary

OP
Wes

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I like them - MB Quart has a good rep. also.

OP
Wes

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
One problem you have when installing speakers in a car. - esp. an old one is how to put the tweeters in a good spot.

The best spot will usually be at the base of the A-pillar where the dash and windshield meet. I've wasted several neurons trying to think about how I could mold plastic to fit this area or 3D print something, but then I saw what one genius came up with...

Tweeter mounted in racquet ball in dash of VW Vanagon.jpg

Yes, that is a racquet ball! The vehicle is an old VW Vanagon. It's not pretty but you have to give the guy points for the idea.

Diatribe

Forum Donor
full

Here's an old install with 2 12-inch TC Sounds TC3000 subs and a pair of MB Quart amplifiers. The crossovers were located in the floor.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Years ago I drove an MG Midget. Midge was canary yellow, and had a radio that I think worked. At least some of the time. But it didn't play loud, so you could never be certain, over the road noise. For sure, you didn't buy an MG for its sound system. Thinking back on the entire experience, I'm not even sure why anyone would buy an MG. Unless you wanted to use it to learn how to work on one on your weekend.

At the time I car pooled with a friend who drove a BMW 2002. A small sedan with an aftermarket Blau Berlin radio. This oddball unit featured a controller on a stalk with a bunch of buttons. I never figured out what they all did. It was likely the strangest car radio I've encountered.

erlin6-235x320.jpg

OP
Wes

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I remember those things - IIRC they allowed full control of the functions w/o leaning for the faceplate/knobs.

My 2002 had a small radio in it...

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This car stereo rig should have some interesting "qualities"!

dominican_sound_systems_culture_fo_85682d5c-1440_x2.jpg

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Can't really show much as everything is covered.

What I did:
*Put dynamat in all doors and trunk.
*Replaced factory speakers in the front with focal (mid on door body, tweeter on piller)
*Replaced factory amp with JL audio amp.
*Added a JL Audio sealed 10" sub in the trunk.
Going loud now much more fun than using factory setup.

Jdunk54nl

Addicted to Fun and Learning

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Wow! I thought I had a "killer system" in my van. Everything is hidden except the head unit and the tweeters so you can't really see it. My speakers are on the inside. :p

It's tri-amped with a pair of 12-inch subs under the back seat. four 6x9's covering the mids (and up), and 4 tweeters. It's powered by a "claimed" 5000W 5-channel amplifier. Probably not "audiophile" and I've never measured it but it's "loud and clear" and fun when cranked-up!

Actually, the bad thing is I get a lot of wind noise and if the stereo is cranked-up loud enough to hear "clearly" you can't converse with other people. If I'm by myself it's OK and doesn't have to be excessively loud (just about as loud as a conversation, I guess).

The Sony head unit has a feature which WAS cool a few years ago... The front opens-up and you can stick your iPod inside (no CD player). My iPod classic with about 18,000 songs still works so I'm not upgrading to Bluetooth yet.

P.S.
My 2004 Honda has an under-powered factory stereo. :( It's a 6-speaker system so it's not terrible but there's no "power" in the bass. It has an added iPod dock-port and since this is my daily driver this is where the iPod "lives".

Last edited:

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I swapped my 2015 CX9 stock Bose system for the set below. My wife wanted modern bluetooth performance. :)

Car Toys installed the head unit and the amplifier and crossovers in the stock location for the CX9 (inside the rear quarter panel sheet metal).
I installed the speakers in the stock locations with a custom adapter ring for the 6.5" midrange in the driver door where the 10" stock woofers were.

Head unit:https://www.crutchfield.com/S-2wV2V1R1spP/p_113DMX906S/Kenwood-Excelon-DMX906S.html
Front pair: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_210TU602/Morel-Tempo-Ultra-602.html
Rear Pair: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_210TU572/Morel-Tempo-Ultra-572.html
Subwoofer: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_206CWRT672/Kicker-CompRT-43CWRT672.html
Amplifer: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_210MPS5950/Morel-MPS-5-950.html

Top Bottom