• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Show us your bicycles!

JaccoW

Since we already have a Show us your cars-thread, and bicycles can be just as much fun geekery, I thought why not start a similar thread?

What bicycles do you have or have you owned in the past?

OP
JaccoW

JaccoW

1996 Koga-Miyata SilverAce - Build thread

One of the last steel commuter bikes made by Koga-Miyata but with splined triple butted tubing. Overhauled by me into a modern drum brake commuter with dynamo lights. Fast and light and stops on a dime. I mostly use it to grab groceries around town or to ride to the train station.

1992 Koga-Miyata 'Graveller' - Build thread

I bought this as a testing platform for another identical frame to see what works before I start pouring in money but it ended up being a much nicer ride than expected. Took it from Marseille to Barcelona this summer and it is mostly a long-distance bike with wide supple tyres.

80's Batavus Randonneur GL - Build thread

My first serious project bike. Fast and light. As a classic randonneur it has dynamo lights and fenders as well.

1977 Gazelle Tandem - Build thread

I have always wanted a tandem for... reasons. So when I came across one for cheap nearby I jumped on it. Still a work in progress but I plan to finish it in 2022. Built new wheels for it to take it from a 3-speed IGH drum brake machine to a 5-speed IGH with dynamo lights.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Do trikes count?
P1020240.jpeg

OP
JaccoW

JaccoW

@tonycollinet Absolutely! Trikes, monocycles and velomobiles are also welcome.

EDIT: That's a folding model right?

TimF

Forum Donor
I found the reverse steering bicycle and videos about it very interesting. I still do. Fundamental learning. The integration of mind and body. Non-cognitive learning.

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am as bad with bikes as I am with speakers.

Part of the stable, 3 e-bikes, 2 conventional ones here.

bike3.jpg

Pandemic Safari - travel far, see wild animals - that's the cheap old bike but I just love how the frame flows and I keep it.

bike2.jpg

e-MTB in use
dirtyride.jpg

fast office commute in dry weather (orbea gravel)
officecommute.jpg

lazy office commute -
fatone.jpg

The correct number of bikes to own is always n+1 with n being the number of bikes actually owned.

Attachments

• bike2.jpg
    bike2.jpg
    308.4 KB · Views: 87
  • bike2.jpg
    bike2.jpg
    308.4 KB · Views: 104
  • bike3.jpg
    bike3.jpg
    358.5 KB · Views: 112

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Here's some of the bicycles I've had.
My first bike was a hand-me-down from the oldest brother. I don't remember what make or model. I was pretty young.
Then I had a green Mustang.
mustang-1970-picture-id467975766

Then this model that I read is highly collectible now. I liked the Mustang better because it wheelied and did jumps better.
Schwinn_StingRay_OrangeKrate_5speed_1968.jpg

Then I got a small sized touring bike. A Motobécane. I think it was a 10 speed. I rode and rode that thing till one day I hit the brakes hard and the rear wheel turned into a potato chip. I wiped it out on somebody's lawn to avoid road rash and then I sold it with the wheel like a potato chip and the buyer was really happy about the sale. It was green and had a lot of features that other road bikes never had for some years too come. It was like the pictured bike and had extra brake levers on the handlebars. It had two methods for braking dependent on the sitting position.
s-l1600.jpg

Then I got what was my favorite bike of them all. A yellow rat mountain bike that I added stuff to as I broke the handlebars wheelieing, broke the rear derailleur while taking it off road, put on new Continental tires with different rims front and back, a new chain, a bell, new peddles because I twisted one off the crank arm, added a $90 seat for comfort, broke/bent the front forks while jumping the stairs of the court house so I put on a trials fork and put on proper brakes front and rear. It was a 23 inch Raleigh with a chrome moly frame that was springy when riding it. I rode that for 3 summers to keep in shape for downhill skiing and then I gave it away.
IMG_5301.jpg

Last edited:

Slayer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Here's some of the bicycles I've had.
My first bike was a hand-me-down from the oldest brother. I don't remember what make or model. I was pretty young.
Then I had a green Mustang.
mustang-1970-picture-id467975766
Top photo takes me back, I had to bust out out the mower and do a lot of lawns to buy that one. It was two different shades of green, one almost a yellow. But man did it shine. I was in hog heaven riding the streets on that thing. Anyway, thanks for memory flashback, wish those times were still the same today.

AudioSQ

MS 150 is a great event. Which one do will you be doing?
Houston.. I did it a few years ago with my brother, had a great time. I just wish there were more scenic places around here to train. It's on May 1st so a very good chance it'll be butt hot.

My son is 13 so I'm obviously becoming less cool to hang out with. I'll have to hold off on purchasing a new amp since I bought him a decent bike, easily worth it.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
At one of my favorite trail riding spots.

PXL_20211105_170500812.jpg

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
At one of my favorite trail riding spots.

View attachment 166221
That looks like the bike my buddy asked to me try out. I told him that I used to ride 2 stroke dirt bikes and so he wanted me to say what I thought of the suspension on his new ride. We where at work in a Industrial area so I progressed jumping off a concrete loading bay onto a concrete slab. 3 jumps in and I broke the frame. He actually laughed and the manufacturer honored the warranty and fixed him up with new gear. :D

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
That looks like the bike my buddy asked to me try out. I told him that I used to ride 2 stroke dirt bikes and so he wanted me to say what I thought of the suspension on his new ride. We where at work in a Industrial area so I progressed jumping off a concrete loading bay onto a concrete slab. 3 jumps in and I broke the frame. He actually laughed and the manufacturer honored the warranty and fixed him up with new gear. :D
This is the Specialized 'Stump Jumper' model, but I don't do any jumping on this bike, at least not intentionally. :oops:

Adam Bernau

Forum Donor
This was originally my old GT mountain bike, i didn´t wanted to"just put in in the thrash and buy a new one" as the bike enthusiasts around me recommended. Since i am not doing offroad biking recently, but more like city biking, i have used the old aluminium frame, sanded the paint and polished the metal, and also striped the derailleurs, changed the handlebars to more wide ones, and installed nice natural rubber brooks seat and front handles. And also installed nice german Magura hydraulic brakes. So it is somehow DIY repurposed bike :)
Screenshot 2021-11-18 005420.jpg

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
i have used the old aluminium frame, sanded the paint and polished the metal
Very nice. I like that look of bare metal. It looks expensive.

changed the handlebars to more wideones
That was the biggest improvement I found on one bike I had. I put wide downhill racing bars on it and it was way easier to go up hills with the added leverage and they didn't break like the cheapO ones did. I lent it to a near 7 foot (~213cm) buddy and he said the bars where awesome compared to those puny narrow bars that the bikes come with. The ~same as your tires. I had 2.25" slicks similar to the ones like you have there and it handled awesome on the street, gravel and grass. I forgot to add one bike to my list. It was a Kona Dew with the narrow tires and they where really bad for casual riding. Too sensitive to steering input and a very harsh ride too. I got rid of that ride because it suxxored.

Those are unusual brakes from what I've seen before.

Top Bottom