• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Show us your audio setup!

anphex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hey guys,

I tried to find a thread like this but couldn't find one. So here it is.
I am really curious about your gear and the story so far behind it. Pics of course would be really appreciated!

Maybe you could also tell why you chose your specific gadgets and what are you current upgrade plans if any.
Of course I'll make the start. Call me a bragger if you want but I won't deny that I am really happy about my gear that took a long time of saving. :D
I call it the pragmatic best value stereo system.

The speakers are 4-way Nubert NuVero 170 with a FR of 23-24000hz @ -3db and I am in love with them . The MMMTMMM design is perfect in my opinion and improvements can probably be only found in speakers where an addictional 0 is added to the price. Also they look timeless and fit almost everywhere. Weight: 70kilos, so you can move them around alone. For a whole relocation you'll need another pair of hands though.

For the DAC and Amps I probably don't have to say much. Those were bought after I had the pleasure to find this forum and Amirs reviews. The DAC is Gustard X16, bought due to its stellar specs and input options. Would have been almost a Topping D30pro but for abot 80 € more I got slightly better performance and more input possibilities. Also MQA, but that was just a bonus that I didn't focus on.

The amps are two self built NC400 monoblocks, also bought due to the stellar test results. I was close to buy the AHB2 but the huge price and supply shortage made me look the other. Can't be any happier right now. Even a change in the filter mode of the DAC is instantly made audible by the speakers and Hypex amps.

Before I had mostly active studio monitors. Alesis, Yamaha, Adam, then Teufel because I wanted to go surround but when I noticed I almost never use it went back to focus on stereo. Then I went Nubert speakrs and upgrade those step by step to NuVero 170 by selling the smaller 70 ones.
Also I used a Denon 6400 for three years and when the 170 arrived I actually had the "problem" of bad sounding integrated amps of the Denon und a few other amps. The hypex were a revelation after I plugged those in.

So yes, I'll say it. There isn't much that can be improved here for what you can consider audible improvements I guess. And yes, I know the TV should be further behind the speakers but it's already kind of far. The system as a whole is still below 10k €. Sometimes I think about visiting an audio fare to see some of those super expensive speakers but either I'll be disappointed, become biased or I'd discover speakers that go way beyond may yearly salary haha.

Some friends roll eyes when I tell them how much I spent on this but then I turn things around and point at their 20k motorcycles or super expensive cars. So don't be ashamed of your hobby and passion folks. I

P.S. Those loose cables will be removed and put away soon, it's just a temporary wiring I am too lazy to fix right now.

Attachments

• PXL_20210808_171020397.PANO.jpg
    PXL_20210808_171020397.PANO.jpg
    412 KB · Views: 367
  • PXL_20210808_171052091.jpg
    PXL_20210808_171052091.jpg
    302.8 KB · Views: 328
  • PXL_20210808_171200246.jpg
    PXL_20210808_171200246.jpg
    308.9 KB · Views: 331
  • PXL_20210808_171222243.jpg
    PXL_20210808_171222243.jpg
    463.4 KB · Views: 323
  • PXL_20210808_171332114.jpg
    PXL_20210808_171332114.jpg
    348.7 KB · Views: 314
Last edited:

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
I am really curious about your gear and the story so far behind it. Pics of course would be really appreciated!

Maybe you could also tell why you chose your specific gadgets and what are you current upgrade plans if any.
Of course I'll make the start. Call me a bragger if you want but I won't deny that I am really happy about my gear that took a long time of saving. :D
I call it the pragmatic best value stereo system.

In a thread like this, I would find it more interesting if there were not only nice pictures and a story, but also an MMM measurement from the listening position. This would be a helpful addition to better understand the story and compare it with others.

OP
anphex

anphex

Forum Donor
Moving Mic Measurement: Another thing learned.
Actually I have a modest measurement mic laying around. My interface broke recently but a new one is underway. I will try this soon :)

OP
anphex

anphex

Forum Donor
Hey, thank you again for this suggestion. REW and a measuring mic can be really fun! I somehow fixed my interface and found my old working measurement mic and even the calibration file, so results should be pretty accurate for amateur setup. It's my first time doing this so if you think the plots could be improved or other data should be shown feel free to tell me :)

The MMM was made with this short guide https://mehlau.net/audio/room-correction-peq/index.html

Note that this is raw speaker output without Equalizer-APO. The 40Hz issue and the unevenness due to the room and wood walls below 200hz is already fixed. Oh, and all measurements were done at listening position 3 metres away from the speaker with a glass table in front of me, so don't interpret those as plain near field speaker measurements.

Edit: Wow, compared to my petty "by ear" filter I made with APO the REW Generated one just fixed about all my low end problems. The price is a 12db gain reduction for the new peaks.

Attachments

• NuVero_LeftandRight_FR_Smooth48.png
    NuVero_LeftandRight_FR_Smooth48.png
    36.2 KB · Views: 131
  • NuVero_Distortionpng.png
    NuVero_Distortionpng.png
    33.1 KB · Views: 117
  • NuVero_MMM_80Averages.png
    NuVero_MMM_80Averages.png
    34.7 KB · Views: 121
  • NuVero_NoEQ_Right.png
    NuVero_NoEQ_Right.png
    28.8 KB · Views: 113
  • NuVeroRT60.png
    NuVeroRT60.png
    18.9 KB · Views: 117
  • NuVero_Waterfall.png
    NuVero_Waterfall.png
    198.2 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Hey, thank you again for this suggestion. REW and a measuring mic can be really fun! I somehow fixed my interface and found my old working measurement mic and even the calibration file, so results should be pretty accurate for amateur setup. It's my first time doing this so if you think the plots could be improved or other data should be shown feel free to tell me :)

The MMM was made with this short guide https://mehlau.net/audio/room-correction-peq/index.html

Note that this is raw speaker output without Equalizer-APO. The 40Hz issue and the unevenness due to the room and wood walls below 200hz is already fixed. Oh, and all measurements were done at listening position 3 metres away from the speaker with a glass table in front of me, so don't interpret those as plain near field speaker measurements.

Thanks, that adds a lot of value to me at least. I may adding my own "pictures + story + MMM" in a few days if i have time. One more suggestion: For better comparability most people use a 50dB range for measurement-graphs (40-90 or something like that). Personally i also prefer var smoothing, but that´s a matter of taste.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In my multichannel multi-driver (multi-way) multi-amplifier project, you may find the latest configuration and photos as well as the Fq response measured at my listening position, in my post here.

I hope it would be allowed showing them again here for your reference as follows;
WS002403.JPG

WS002404.JPG

WS002397.JPG

WS002396.JPG

Current best tuned total Fq response;
WS002395.JPG

As shared in my previous posts #403 and #404, the elevating Fq response over 7 kHz is intending to compensate my slight age dependent hearing decline; now the upward slope over 7 kHz can be easily, safely and flexibly controlled by YAMAHA A-S301 driving STs on-the-fly, while listening to music, using the IR remote controller for A-S301 from the sofa at my listening position.

Photos of the listening room;
WS002394.JPG

And the distances;
WS002393.JPG

The unique physical alignment of the STs, i.e. positioned under the woofers as described in my post #27, is really one of the critical factors in my system in terms of the 3D sound perspective (3D sound stage).

Please refer to my post #311 for details of the listening room environments.

Present physical layout of PCs, DACs and amplifiers;
WS002392.JPG

OP
anphex

anphex

Forum Donor
Now this is what I call elaborate :oops:

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP - you have your speakers up against those glass/wood doors??

OP
anphex

anphex

Forum Donor
OP - you have your speakers up against those glass/wood doors??

Jup, that's a biiiiiiiiiiiiig window and trust me, it's still the least bad option of placement in the whole house. :/

OP
anphex

anphex

Forum Donor

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
May I suggest a new house? One worthy of the nice equipment...

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As for two of my DIY built audio dedicated Windows 10 PC, i.e. completely silent PCs, please refer to my post here.

sq225917

Major Contributor
Use your visual imagination.

A kuzma stabi s 12" with unipivot arm and benz lp cartridge sits on the sink cut out from our kitchen worktop, it's wedge. This sits atop a child's bicycle wheel inner tube. This feeds a Paradise phonostage, 1 big 2u full-width case for psu feeding two acrylic sleeved alloy sleds holding each channel. This feeds into a Bruno putzeys balanced pre amp, which gets the digital input from either a 2010 mbp 17" or audiolb cdm transport feeding a gustard A18. Which the goes into a pair of mono chassis neurochrome 86p, with two amp boards, each with a stereo chip in each chassis run in bridged mode, i guess that makes it a 486 this either feeds a pair of stax lamda 7 Pro and passive step-up or a pair of ns1000m in which the tweeter is disconnected and replaced by a pair of raal 140d ribbons.

It's all connected up with boggo xlr cable and kettle leads with no attention paid to siting, layout or anything else.

The speakers are positioned with laser accuracy, literally. And I'm lounging on the 3 seat leather sofa 8 feet from the speakers drinking rum and coke...

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom