• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Should you control volume via Pre-amp or amp?

Svperstar

Just curious what other people think.

I am currently running my Gilmore Lite mk2 preamp -> Koss electrostat energizer. Do you guys think I should max out the volume on the energizer and then turn down the volume on the Gilmore Lite or keep them both at a closer to middle volume?

Justin from headamp said there isn't really a right answer.

Blur

Forum Donor
Without knowing where the signal may clip be it on the input of the Gimore or it's output we really can't answer that question. I would do whatever sounds best or is more convenient.

Hipper

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have a T&A DAC8 and Headamp GS-X Mk2 feeding HD800.

I control the volume from the DAC which has up and down buttons and a reading in Hz. The reading is mostly 76Hz for my listening.

The amp is set to 1200 which is half way round and 'clicks' into its various positions; that is, it is not infinitely variable.

This set up is PC driven and I use JRiver which also has a volume control but I don't use it. JRiver also has volume levelling (to level tracks that were ripped at higher or lower volumes) and Parametric EQ filters, both of which I use to a small extent.

So there is a whole range of volume controls in this system and I've no idea if there are any conflicts or sources of deterioration to the sound.

However, this set up seems to work well and gives me enough variability for adjusting the volume pretty precisely in small measures.

Top Bottom