• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Should we measure speakers past 20k potential SQ and hearing loss issues

GimeDsp

I've always found it interesting that we only measure speakers to 20khz.

When I see measurements that start to shoot up like crazy near 20k I am always interested about what is going on past 20k. I remember listening to Rupert Neve that he measured his pre amps up to 200khz and designed them to be good up to that point.

High frequency/high SPL levels can be a trigger for hearing loss and tinnitus, just because hearing damage is past 20K doesn't mean it won't effect hearing below. If there is a speaker that raises 8db at 20K, if it keeps rising you could be looking at a 20db increase or more? That means if you think the loudness is just 85-90db it could really be 105-115db you are listening to.

I would be intersted to see the 85db behavior of many different kinds of tweeters such as metal, compression, ribbon, etc.

audio2design

Major Contributor
Cone breakup from stimulation past 20khz can result in audible frequencies. Then again why are you stimulating it past 20khz?

Frgirard

Major Contributor
High frequency/high SPL levels can be a trigger for hearing loss and tinnitus, just because hearing damage is past 20K doesn't mean it won't effect hearing below. I
if you are SuperMomy ou you put a transducer near your tympanic cavity(may be), yes you can have damage. The acoustic energie is ridiculous at 20 kHz and your cochlea are not equiped over 22 kHz.

Last edited:

Frgirard

Major Contributor
Amphion one 18. Check the frequency response. what do you think: dangerous or not ?

Frgirard

Major Contributor
Not a answer but maybe a interesting read.
"These limits are designed to prevent hearing loss from subharmonics, not the ultrasound itself."

The subharmonics: reals for ones, inventions for others

it's been claimed that American diplomats in Cuba are being harassed by a sonic weapon. Is such a thing possible?
:facepalm:

tomtoo

Major Contributor
"These limits are designed to prevent hearing loss from subharmonics, not the ultrasound itself."

The subharmonics: reals for ones, inventions for others

it's been claimed that American diplomats in Cuba are being harassed by a sonic weapon. Is such a thing possible?
:facepalm:
Could you explain your problem?

tecnogadget

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Not only see no point on caring past 20kHz (our hearing could not care less past this point, and contemporary good tweeters have break up way past 30kHz).

I remember how 15 years ago I dranked the “Hi-Fi/Hi-Rez” kool aid as if some ancient and miraculous mistery was hidden in the very top end of the spectrum...as if with “audiophile” speakers you were able to hear what with ordinary speakers you could not, because they don’t have flat or much energy past 10kHz.

In the following years I’ve learned how much crap that was, after deep investigation of studies, and the realization of target curves, first the X-Curve adopted by cinema, then the Harman and Olive-Toole and whatever one with aprox 10dB downslope. And thoroughly experimented with different speakers, acoustic measurements and curves. So yeahh...now I care less about 20kHz than 15 years ago...

Last edited:

audio2design

Major Contributor
While there is little reliable evidence we can detect ultrasonic tones there is pretty solid evidence that ultrasonic sound can mask sounds in the audible range.

Top Bottom