• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Should passive membranes be placed symmetrically or asymmetrically in DXT-Mon or similar speakers?

BostonJack

Editor
Background. I am slowly inching forward on a build of the DXT-Mon speaker which has passive bass radiators on one side of the two-driver cabinet for each speaker. Cabinet dimensions are ~8"wide x 12" tall x 10" deep. Plans show each speaker has a single passive radiator on one side.

Should these be built as an asymmetrical pair (radiator to the right, plus radiator to the left)? If so, should the speakers be placed with radiators facing towards each other or with radiators facing towards the room walls?

If the build is two identical speakers, that's interesting. The plans are silent (unless I misinterpreted or missed some of the German).

I could write to the designer, but this is more fun. Why does it matter? Does the passive radiator simply function as a port or does it produce a significant amount of SPL?

Thanks.

Top Bottom