• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Should more emphasis be given to speaker (& driver) size in reviews + what is the ethos of this site?

OP
D

Digby

Major Contributor
I am not against the use of them. They are artificial when referenced in a review in that, which subs, in what configuration and what room? The variables are endless and it is not reviewing solely what is front of you (the speaker itself).

My argument is speakers that cannot reach 40hz F3 should be accompanied a statement made at the beginning of the review that even though subs are always recommended for general reproduction, these speakers need subs for reproduction, and should be seen as incomplete unless you have a sub to fill in. A speaker that is incomplete should perhaps be docked points for being so.

Almost nobody here can hear to 20khz (perhaps there is the odd teenager among us?), yet somehow it is considered important a speaker reaches 20khz. There isn't similar concern about a speaker reaching 40hz in the bass region, a region everyone can hear.

audiofooled

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hey, Sal, is this the first time we've agreed on something? :D

Maybe I was wrong to say typical ASR reader, that probably gives the impression of someone knowledgeable, I would more say the impression someone arriving at this website for the first time would get as to which speakers are "the best". The Neumann KH80 and Genelec 8030C would come recommended by many and the general impression (from reviews and posters) would be they are excellent speakers.

They are, but within very limited situations. You will likely not want to have a modest house party (3+ people) with these speakers. You will not want to hear them sans sub (missing too much of the lower frequencies). You will not fill a room much more than 4m x 4m with sound from these speakers. This is important information, stuff which, as you Americans say, might be better off being put "front and centre".

These small speakers will sound worse than larger, less linear ones in a situation where they are in a modest sized room, are expected to play music without a sub and for more than a few people. These are things that IMO need to be given more emphasis, if reviews are to benefit to widest group of people.

Am I wrong about what I said regarding driver size and bass ability. Remember that I am talking without help from subwoofer/s.

I have learned by ear, so to speak. Technically, you're right, I have not learned, but life is too short and if I wanted to learn faster, I would dip into books sooner than read here. I think the forum is often a good example of a little knowledge being a dangerous thing.

If everyone who uses this website has to be almost as well versed as Amir, then few will reach that point. That is why I'm interested in the nature of the site. I think most people are willing to learn, but it takes a lot of time and energy, and if reader/viewership is to increase, then a bit more needs to be done about taking all the measurements and translating it for Joe Audiophile IMO. Amir has done some very informative videos on various subjects that have been interesting and explanatory, but I think more could be done to pull it all together, rather than having to 'do your own homework'.

It is his decision in the end, but I think there could be a useful middle ground between subjective reviews (good, bad or otherwise) in Hi-Fi mags and the 90% measurements/10% guidance available here. If this site is by nerds for nerds, so be it, but I think Amir might be missing a trick and an opportunity to bring more away from voodoo and snake oil.

Which leads me back to the main point:

Small speakers with limited SPL/bass seem to being given precedence over larger speakers with somewhat greater non-linearity (in FR, for example), but much greater bass and SPL capabilities. Save the very smallest rooms, the larger speakers will often present as audibly better speakers, because they produce more of the lower frequency range and at louder levels. Smaller speakers, when reviewed, are being 'saved' by the addition of a hypothetical subwoofer, but this is not a given and is artificially (unscientifically?) boosting speakers that are limited in their low end capabilities (but more linear within said limits) above their true position, when used as standalone speakers.

Should points be docked from a speaker for not reaching -3db at 40hz and should more emphasis be made of this lack of ability, for the benefit of those who cannot read and interpret the charts particularly well - this will be a not insubstantial number of people reading this website.

Bass capability of loudspeakers in rooms takes about 30 percent of the preference score, so it is very important. To some people, subjectively, even more important. However, bass extension isn't something of utmost importance to the objective reviews. If a speaker A, for example, has a 5" driver and measures good, and does it's job in the bass region, let's say, up to - 3db at 80 hz, no one can say it's a bad speaker. Then, anyone with at least some knowledge about audio shouldn't expect that this speaker would be delivering enough SPL without too much distortion for a far field application in a large room. No, it's good for your desktop only.
Listening distance and room size is where it get's expensive (displacement and power - wise). And even large tower speakers with multiple drivers that can deliver, say, -3 db at 30-35 hz, still need a subwoofer (or more of them), not only because of the further bass extension, but because of the room modes. So, driver size means everything when it comes to bass extension, but means nothing to the speaker sound quality, or even bass quality, for that matter. As an example, a number of smaller drivers in a tower speaker can beat one large when it comes to FR, SQ, directivity, etc, and deliver the same, if not better, bass.

Adi777

I have no experience, but a lot of people say that the size of bass drivers does matter. I recently discussed with one person who said that no 8 inch loudspeaker, not even 3, such as in the Revel Salon Ultima 2, for example, can match even one 18 inch woofer, for example from the Trenner & Friedl Taliesin loudspeakers. Not this level of dynamics.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I have no experience, but a lot of people say that the size of bass drivers does matter. I recently discussed with one person who said that no 8 inch loudspeaker, not even 3, such as in the Revel Salon Ultima 2, for example, can match even one 18 inch woofer, for example from the Trenner & Friedl Taliesin loudspeakers. Not this level of dynamics.
I've heard triple 6" and 8" woofers compared to a 15" or 18" and both when done well have nice slam and thump. There are advantage to both I think and it a matter of the implementation that matters. What I have noticed is when a mid-bass driver is combined with those layouts that the bass and mids are much better. So more is better in this case as far as I'm concerned.

OP
D

Digby

Major Contributor
Bass capability of loudspeakers in rooms takes about 30 percent of the preference score, so it is very important. To some people, subjectively, even more important. However, bass extension isn't something of utmost importance to the objective reviews. If a speaker A, for example, has a 5" driver and measures good, and does it's job in the bass region, let's say, up to - 3db at 80 hz, no one can say it's a bad speaker.
No, but they can say it is an incomplete one and that wouldn't be wrong (it needs a sub). Obviously response down to 20hz would be considered by some as 'full frequency', but 40hz is most of the audible bass range and seems a reasonable cut off point.

And even large tower speakers with multiple drivers that can deliver, say, -3 db at 30-35 hz, still need a subwoofer (or more of them), not only because of the further bass extension, but because of the room modes.
Sure, but you can't put main speakers, subwoofer/s and someone's room + integration in front of the Klippel NFS. You can only measure what is there at the time, a single speaker.

audiofooled

Approximately 5 of the 8 inch drivers have roughly the same cone area of the one 18. The question then is driver excursion, amplifier power, do you actually need that much SPL for more than twice a year and weather your wife likes it or not.

audiofooled

No, but they can say it is an incomplete one and that wouldn't be wrong (it needs a sub). Obviously response down to 20hz would be considered by some as 'full frequency', but 40hz is most of the audible bass range and seems a reasonable cut off point.

Sure, but you can't put main speakers, subwoofer/s and someone's room + integration in front of the Klippel NFS. You can only measure what is there at the time, a single speaker.

It still is a complete speaker in it's own regard.

Yes, about 40 hz is what resonates your chest cavity and gives you that visceral feeling. Even a bad speaker with large cone/excursion/amp can give you that. But it can also give you a one note bass which I absolutely hate.

You can't put more than one speaker on the Klippel NFS, but there are ways to measure your entire system in situ. And apply EQ.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I believe it was Paul Klipsch that said "you can't change the laws of physics". :p
The Col. did say:
"They make miniature tubes and miniature loudspeakers, but they have yet to come up with a miniature 32-foot wavelength."
source: https://www.klipsch.com/quotes-anecdotes

I think that's what some folks might call settled science.
;)

I've never heard a good 15" or a 18" woof that I didn't enjoy and desire. :D

Like these :)

(Altec 515B)

edit: or these

openvalencia.jpg

(Altec 416Z)

Last edited:

mj30250

I don't understand the notion that subwoofers provide an "artificial" boost in any way (I guess if you're running them super hot?). Some powered / non-powered subwoofers reside within full-range towers. Are they also artificial? Or are they only so when they are disconnected from your main speakers' cabinets, for some reason?

For any hi-fi system, smooth bass response and distortion-free output at your listening volumes are important. Subwoofers typically make that much easier to achieve for a litany of reasons, so why discount them as "artificial"? There are plenty of giant towers with big honking 12" drivers and such that will get demolished by a pair of half-way decent powered subs if they are properly integrated into a room.

Now, if someone is unable or unwilling to place subs, sure, it's quite helpful to to understand the bass capabilities of standalone speakers. But, that information is provided here in every review already. I've seen Amir mention on several occasions that "you'll want subs with these speakers". It may not be all that consistent, but if you've made it to the point of reading through the spins and distortion data, presumably you can figure out the sub / no sub thing on your own simply through a basic understanding of that data.

OP
D

Digby

Major Contributor
I don't understand the notion that subwoofers provide an "artificial" boost in any way (I guess if you're running them super hot?). Some powered / non-powered subwoofers reside within full-range towers. Are they also artificial? Or are they only so when they are disconnected from your main speakers' cabinets, for some reason?
When mentioned in a review where they aren't part of a satellite + sub package. Did you read what I wrote in the TL;DR of OP? I don't think the English could have been much clearer.

mj30250

When mentioned in a review where they aren't part of a satellite + sub package. Did you read what I wrote in the TL;DR of OP? I don't think the English could have been much clearer.
Nope, your English was fine, I was reading way too fast. I need to stop trying to read here and work at the same time (yeah that won't happen). Apologies.

My third paragraph still applies, but to add a little more to it, I think bass frequencies get less "weight" here (and elsewhere) because so few speakers, even quite large ones, offer truly deep bass extension and output down low. Combine that with the fact that the majority of people who are into this stuff are almost certainly going to be placing at least one sub in their space, I don't believe that lower bass frequencies should be given much more weight in standalone speaker reviews than they currently do. Again, at some point it's up to the reader to gain a cursory understanding of the spinorama that Amir provides at the very least. If they've bothered to make it to this forum, it's not a large ask.

Last edited:

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I see a 5inch always as a desktop speaker. It will not make fun in a big room. But thats my opinion. Others think different, couse there way to use, or there expectations are just different. I think thats hard to communicate in a easy way. It all depends how much spl you like to reach in a given distance with a for you acceptable thd. And thats hard to communicate with just words. Who should look in your head and say oh 85dB at 4m is great for him? At the end you have to decide what fits for you, there is many info on ASR. I mean the best speaker is not good, if i cant hear em at my listening position thats 10m away, how could they rate a kh80dsp so well? Hell its a desktop speaker. And others use them happy in there small room. Different expectation, different use...how to rate this?
A 5" driver will produce 110dBSPL at 100Hz and 15mm Xmax, which is within reach of most drivers. 100Hz is also well within the range of most subwoofers setups, hence why would you say it is just a desktop speaker?

OP
D

Digby

Major Contributor
Does a 5" driver, or any driver for that matter, sound good at Xmax, isn't that the excursion limit for the driver?

mj30250

Does a 5" driver, or any driver for that matter, sound good at Xmax, isn't that the excursion limit for the driver?
Xmech would be the actual mechanical limit of excursion, and could be quite a bit higher than the Xmax, depending on the driver.

Exceeding Xmax is not necessarily going to cause problems right away. Dynamic compression will start to enter the equation, but at which point that starts to result in audible distortion depends on various factors.

OP
D

Digby

Major Contributor
OK, but a bit of overhead, wherever you are crossing over, makes for less distortion, as a rule, no? So, back to 'no replacement for displacement'.

I think cabinet size/directivity may also factor into this, but that is probably better addressed in the "Your loudspeakers are too small" thread. Interesting discussion being had over (IMHO, but then I am the OP ;)), if you fancy chipping in.

Sokel

Master Contributor
I will maybe be silly,but in front of well built,accurate normal speakers in treated rooms I always find myself with the serious-critical-wrinkle between the eyes mood,"listening" the accuracy,etc.

In front of 2-meter-high cabinets with the fifteens I find my self to be 8 years old,big smile,it's pure FUN!
I don't mind to go to 20Hz,good 30Hz is good enough for me.

And I guess I enjoy mid-bass more than I should :)

mj30250

OK, but a bit of overhead, wherever you are crossing over, makes for less distortion, as a rule, no? So, back to 'no replacement for displacement'.

I think cabinet size/directivity may also factor into this, but that is probably better addressed in the "Your loudspeakers are too small" thread. Interesting discussion being had over (IMHO, but then I am the OP ;)), if you fancy chipping in.
More overhead is better, sure. And what typically provides - by far - the most overhead for bass frequencies? Powered subs (sorry, couldn't help myself).

But again, exceeding Xmax (to a point) is not necessarily a bad thing. At healthy volumes, our speakers are likely doing it all the time with bass-heavy content and we have no idea it's happening.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, the term is limit, I.e. where it still works as spec.

puppet

For any hi-fi system, smooth bass response and distortion-free output at your listening volumes are important. Subwoofers typically make that much easier to achieve for a litany of reasons, so why discount them as "artificial"? There are plenty of giant towers with big honking 12" drivers and such that will get demolished by a pair of half-way decent powered subs if they are properly integrated into a room.
What you forget here is that in your example those 12" drivers aren't doing just subwoofer duty. More likely they are being crossed to a mid in the 500hz range if 3-way. Can't do that with a sub that is detached from the main speaker location.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What you forget here is that in your example those 12" drivers aren't doing just subwoofer duty. More likely they are being crossed to a mid in the 500hz range if 3-way. Can't do that with a sub that is detached from the main speaker location.
At 100Hz the wave is 3.5m long. How far away you will place your subwoofer from the mains?

Top Bottom