• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Should I use speakers through USB or AUX

TurboKid

Hi, sorry if my questions are too obvious I was just asking myself is there a noticeable difference between plugin my speakers to the computer through the usb port instead of the AUX one? I understand the difference between analog and digital and I've seen on online forums digital was better, however as I'm using right now the audio chipset from the motherboard(ALC887) Will I notice a difference with the built-in dac in the speakers? it's just JBL Quantum duo so I guess the dac used in must be roughly the same as the one used on the motherboard although the ALC887 has a snr of 97dB while the speakers have one >80 dB.

Also does using the speakers through usb have an impact on cpu or ram?

Thanks

eas

Welcome to the forum.

It's easy to experiment. Try them both. Do you notice a difference? Don't be surprised if you don't, because if there is a difference it's probably really subtle. Use whatever sounds better, or, if they sound the same, whichever is most convenient, or flip a coin.

Moving bits over USB probably takes more CPU than moving bits over PCI, but the impact for the amount of data it takes to stream audio over USB is going to be trivial. Differences in RAM requirements, if any, are also likely to be trivial.

Top Bottom