• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Should I use equalizers?

KeithPhantom

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have akg-712 pro with Fiio K5 Pro and I wonder should I use an equalizer? I heard some people make them sound "better" but I have no experince with it so I'm not sure, I don't even know which software to use. I found stuff like this - https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq#usage and many other settings.
Want to clarify something, AutoEQ’s presets are not calculated on the Harman OE 2018 regular version, but the one with no bass boost then AutoEQ adds +5 dB shelf to make up for the bass. This actually results in a very different filter compared if you were to manually compute the curve using the normal curve yourself. Usually the manually computed filter sound far better than the presets.

Also, Oratory does manual adjustments by ear to the computed curve, so it may be off by dB or two compared to straight Harman and will sound slightly different.

Top Bottom