• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Should I upgrade my Emotiva XDA-2 (how much better are modern DAC's)

OP
R

robertbb

Thanks for the input all.

Appreciate the dose of rationality Majestyk.

Trying desperately to avoid succumbing to the bug, but I'm seriously considering buying the Pioneer U-05s to replace the XDA-2 (while keeping the XPA-200 amp).

Vapor9

Yes, but don't ask most people frequenting this forum. They prescribe that human hearing is marginal at best and there is a little to no difference between DACS. I don't buy it. I upgraded my XDA-1 to a Peachtree dac-itx and now a Pro-ject S2. Each was a step up - subtle yes and maybe even not noticeable unless you have a highly resolving system. But, there is now way I'd go back.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Either don't bother, or take a second mortgage on your home and buy something from DCS.

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the input all.

Appreciate the dose of rationality Majestyk.

Trying desperately to avoid succumbing to the bug, but I'm seriously considering buying the Pioneer U-05s to replace the XDA-2 (while keeping the XPA-200 amp).
I don't know either of those DACs, but I strongly recommend you limit yourself to equipment reviewed here - or at least with detailed measurements from a reliable source, if you feel competent to evaluate them on your own. If you think there's a chance your DAC is not audibly SOTA, spend $25 and send it to Amir for testing. Worst case you'll find it's great and you don't need a new one. "Best case" you'll find a good excuse to spend $300 on a SOTA DAC reviewed here.

The Dragon

Forum Donor
Hi All,

First time poster.

Wondering how much DAC technology has improved in the last 7 years or so. My home hi-fi system is built around an Emotiva XDA-2, hooked up to an XPA-200 amp.

The speakers are a pair of B&W CM5s2's each of which rolls off to an RELT5/i sub (it's a 2.2 hi-fi setup).

I don't listen to high res files at all - just Spotify and YTmusic, over a chromecast audio (connected to the XDA-2 via toslink).

Could I expect to see a big improvement in sound quality by changing DAC's? Honestly I couldn't afford to change the amp as well (unless I am convinced to try an option which has a DAC and amp integrated, and I am able to sell my Emotiva gear).

Other than the chromecast audio, I also use a Gen 1 Apple TV (with separate optical output) to access NetFlix and iTunes movies so I am looking for a solution that will allow me to switch between these (and normal TV) using a remote.

Cheers!

If you are asking if you will hear a big improvement over your XDA-2. The answer is no - at least not in your current application. The XDA-2 is a fairly unique item with it's combination of feature set, performance, and price. I think it is a pretty neat unit and it is no slouch in the sound department. You will not have any trouble unloading it if you decide to sell the it. I have an XDA-2 Gen2 myself. I had the upgrade itch a while back and purchased several DACs, including a couple Schiit multibit DACs to compare. They all sounded slightly different - but only slightly. In fact, some of the best sounding DACs I auditioned and now own are vintage ladder style DACs (for CD playback). HiRes sounds great through the XDA-2 in case you are wondering. I unloaded both of the Schiit mulitbit DACs. Some folks like them, but my ears never warmed up to them.

It wasn't until I tried the Chord Qutest that I found a DAC that sounded consistently better than the XDA-2 and the others I tried. Regardless, I'm keeping my XDA-2. I like it and they are out of production (I know, I'm a DAC hoarder). The Qutest does not have a remote or volume control, so it requires a separate preamp. I'm pretty satisfied with the Qutest right now. It took some getting used to because of the weird form factor. The key is to find a DAC with the feature set you need, that also sounds good. Good DACs will sound more alike than different.

KxDx

OP, you have a setup similar to mine... DAC directly to speaker amplifier. Do you mind me asking if the Emotiva has a turn-on delay so that there's no pop in your speakers? This seems to be a hit-or-miss feature for some reason.

NightFlight

I know this is reviving an old thread, but I'd like to point out that you can drop in op-amps into the XDA-2 as they are socketed. The stock op amps are ... nothing special and really not that great. Op-amp rolling is totally a thing and can highlight either detail or musicality depending on what you gravitate to.

IMHO the power section and DAC section on the XDA-2 are OK. The op-amps should be upgraded. Do your research and enjoy, it's low cost DAC and op-amps don't cost much to experiment with.

Top Bottom