• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Should I replace Denon AVR-S650H with similar stereo receiver DRA-800H or Maranz NE1200 ?

l_lama

Hello!

I own Denon AVR-S650H for tow month with JBL Northridge E60 speakers which serverd me for 15 years or so and now considering a replacement for speakers. I have all media on PC desktop with DLNA server. Receiver is playing FLACs and TV plays video from DLNA. Also there are Netflix on TV so HDMI connection is very convenient for me and family due to CEC, eARC and smart menu that let manage the receiver with TV's remote. I'm not going to build surround system but probably will build 2.1 later.

I searched the web for images and see that both DRA-800H and ARV-S650H are much the same under the cover at least at the first glance.
Does it make sense to replace AV with Stereo receiver while keeping HDMI in mind?
I suppose that Maranz is derived from some of budget AVs too.

1606377774015.png

1606377803069.png

I know there are Onkyo TX-8390 made in similar fashion, but it priced x1.5 compared to Denon one and I have no idea if it is derived from decent amplifier.

M00ndancer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Why? Is there something wrong with the JBL speakers?
Secondly, why change the amp? Is there anything wrong with it?
What is it that you don't like with the setup that you have+

OP
L

l_lama

Well, it is fair qeustion, let me add some background. Late October I've got pair of Adam T5V - budget 5"+AMT active monitors with Motu M2 sound card and then add replaced my Sennheiser HD 280 Pro with HD 600 open back headphones. This is on my desk and I'm listening few hours a day. And there are are much more details in music when listening on monitors but nearly no puch and lack of low frequencies. My JBLs are good for much louder listening and gives me a feeling of live music due to some room reverbation etc - speaker stands in 2.5 meters from me and each other. I fails to explain the difference better, this is not my native language though.
Probably speakers are not okay at all due to few winter in the cold boxroom and I already recoiled the HF driver, so I'm considering a replacement of speakers for some mid-range option. While speakers selection is another topic, I was told in local hi-fi shops that I need a stereo amplifier instead of low-end 5.1 receiver get better results with new speakers whatever it will be.
So there is Denon DRA-800H which tends to be stereo while looks like a clipped AVR, I have to order it online and then go to hi-fi shops to test with various speaker sets. Does such an upgrade make any sense?

M00ndancer

Forum Donor
nearly no puch and lack of low frequencies
Get a Subwoofer to complement your Adams. Something like Adam Sub 7.
That will give you the punch and volume you need.
(I have a pair of Fluid Audio together with a Harman Kardon TS-K7 sub as my desktop speakers. No lack of punch or low end.)
For listening in a bigger room and not near field, keep your current amp and get a new set of speakers.
What is your budget? EU or US?

OP
L

l_lama

Get a Subwoofer to complement your Adams. Something like Adam Sub 7.

I evaluated T7V, A7X and T10s at the time of purchase and found that bass level of T5V is fine as long as I listen them while working, I don't really need a puch during working hours. Frankly T10S didn't impressed me at all, probably miss-configuration during the test.

EU pricing is more relevant for me, I consider to spend up to 1000EUR for 2.0

mike7877

I evaluated T7V, A7X and T10s at the time of purchase and found that bass level of T5V is fine as long as I listen them while working, I don't really need a puch during working hours. Frankly T10S didn't impressed me at all, probably miss-configuration during the test.

EU pricing is more relevant for me, I consider to spend up to 1000EUR for 2.0

Is your price 1000 for the amp, or amp + speakers?
Does it need to switch HDMI, or can you use your TV do that part? You can get much better value from a simple 2 channel if you don't need it to switch HDMI.

I had the 750 and 800 (750s is 7 channel version of your 650, 800 is what you're considering) and the 800 was only slightly more powerful than the 750, maybe 30 watts. It also sounded noticeably better, but still it was only good playing back music at higher levels - and with a decent external DAC driving it. It's built in DAC was only OK. I now have the 3700 now and it sounds better than the 800 (DAC too) and is more powerful, but that's off topic.

If you're willing to go used for an integrated amp, you can save 30-50% on things that are about 5 years old. They still have at the very least 10-15 years left in them so are good value. They never become obsolete either.
Speakers don't last as long as amps, so you can save 50% or so on 3-5 year old models, also a good value. It's good to get used speakers locally in case there are problems - reason being they're mechanical and are damaged easier if mistreated.

I'm making these recommendations because at your price point (especially if it's for both amp and speakers) your money will go much farther. Instead of getting something good, you could have something great

Edit: oops, old thread. Oh well, hope it helps someone using the search function, if it brings up relevant results for them

Last edited:
Top Bottom