• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Should I? Or no?

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
CO doesn't get all that cold, not all that often, and it's a dry cold. You want cold go to Minnesota (used to live there) or the northern plains (cold and wind, great).

You'll be cloudy half the year in Seattle. I suppose you could argue the speakers would get more use, nothing else to do...

City Sunny Partly Sunny Total Days With Sun
Olympia 52 84 136
Quillayute 51 75 126
Seattle 71 93 164
Spokane 86 88 174
Yakima 109 92 201
That's just Fake News we have spread to keep people out of here.....

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
So if the OP were ridding himself of some aluminum Magicos they would be climate agnostic? Or maybe some of the old Jordans that had a full range aluminum cone speaker in an aluminum enclosure?

I must say there have been times when the humidity where I live was enough AC was mandatory just to keep arc over of my ESLs from being a problem. So should I move or swap speakers?

Maybe we need to add an audiophile personals subforum.

Audiophile with two large ESLs seeks room mate in dry climate.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Speaking of Jordans I wondered if they were still around. They are. Can someone tell me what is up with positioning and the flat board in front of them?

Jordan_Aurora_800_141118_D4S1396-1.jpg

Aurora_400_3567_web1.jpg

Jordan_Aurora_800_141118_D4S1394.jpg

Though not obvious those baffles are very slightly curved, and the suggested position is on the wall facing the drivers directly at the opposite speaker.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I'll let you have the last word, have to get back to work, and pretty sure we could go on 'til we die
Where we live is too good for the speakers but if you really push me

Please, save your fairytails for the little kids. I know all about those "sunny" days. The clearest, bluest sky's I ever saw were on beautiful Jan mornings in Chicago when the temperature was hovering in the low teens.

On Jan 9th it was 76 degrees here and I was swimming laps at the pool. I didn't miss more than 10 days swimming my laps this entire winter!
On Jan 9th in Denver you had a high of 9. LOL And you hadn't seen a swimming pool with water in it since Sept unless it was indoors.
On Jan 9th in Seattle you had a balmy high of 38.

Y'all stay up there in Iceland if you like. We got too many beating at our borders to escape hypothermia already.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Water occurs in several states, like anything else: liquid, gaseous, solid... Google "ice skates".

But, Chicago, clear blue skies, really? No wonder you're losing this argument, you've lost the definition of "clear blue skies"... :D

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Speaking of Jordans I wondered if they were still around. They are. Can someone tell me what is up with positioning and the flat board in front of them?

Though not obvious those baffles are very slightly curved, and the suggested position is on the wall facing the drivers directly at the opposite speaker.

http://www.ejjordan.co.uk/products/aurora/

Jordan Aurora loudspeakers are a new approach to the problem of integrating high-end audio into the home. Whilst electronics can be hidden away and operated wirelessly, there remains the problem of loudspeakers. For the best sound, speakers should be free-standing. To be unobtrusive, they are usually hidden in the wall or ceiling and therein lies a problem – the sound quality is severely compromised.

The Jordan Aurora 400 and 800 are wall-mounted systems with no compromise in sound quality. The integral reflector is a major step forward to achieving realistic stereo imaging, surpassing even that available from free-standing speakers.

The Jordan Auroras are positioned on the wall to face each other. The curved reflectors give a unique distribution pattern, resulting in a wide and immersive soundfield but with excellent imaging. The reflectors are carefully matched to the Eikona drive units and the combination provides the pin-point imaging of directional speakers with the airy sound quality of an omni-directional system.

The reflector system builds on Ted Jordan’s 40 years of continual research into stereo imagery. As one delighted customer commented: “It’s as though you’ve moved from the back of the concert hall to the front row.”

I'll pass on commenting...

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
But, Chicago, clear blue skies, really? No wonder you're losing this argument, you've lost the definition of "clear blue skies"... :D
LOST? The only thing lost here was your mind. LOL

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Not that I want to defend Amir, nor does he need my help, but I simply cannot pass up the opportunity to note that not all among us need summers hot enough to prepare ourselves for a less-than-desirable afterlife... :)

Ever get lost in thought and never find your way back? That's me...

Which reminds me, what the heck was this thread about, anyway? :D

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Summer here is the most beautiful in the world. Everything is green. Water is gorgeous blue. Light breeze that lifts your spirits. Temps are most perfect. For two to three months, it is absolute bliss. So much so that I make sure I don't travel outside of the area then, even when I was working.

I have no memories of good weather during a decade or more I lived in Florida.

I will talk to the governor to give permission to you Sal to come here and visit for a short period during summer. Then you will have proper context. :D

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Which reminds me, what the heck was this thread about, anyway?
I was waiting for a PM to exchange addresses with Dynamix to set up his speaker shipment. LOL

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I will talk to the governor to give permission to you Sal to come here and visit for a short period during summer.
You don't have a summer, just a moderate winter when summer should be. ;)

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
No complaints about the weather here, perfect most of the year :)

Rarely rains, always warm and sunny.

Its not humid so when the temps get above 40 deg C ( we dont have this funny farenheit stuff-only proper meaurements here) it is still quite bearable. Winter temps are18- 20 deg most days.

http://www.australia.com/en/facts/weather/perth-weather.html

My favourite thing about the place are quokkas. Small marsupial inhabitants of a local island that are very friendly and amenable to doing selfies with you.

https://www.google.com.au/search?sc....0...1.1j4.64.tablet-gws..0.2.341.SRXno1kuSXE

I am quokka happy!

PHOTMDTclTCrcM9VDErhRqGJ170302.jpg

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
You don't have a summer, just a moderate winter when summer should be. ;)
Amir likes crap summers and fish and chips.. the guys British, he must be some how..

I actually love the definitely defined seasons where I live..

I think @Dynamix wanted opinions on the measurements of the speakers he posted, sadly being a harman funded forum we all trolled the thread to death at the mere suggestion he might replace his JBL for a non harman product...

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I wonder if we will ever get back to discussing audio let alone OP's question! :D

Audio is better in CO since the air is clearer thus sound waves are less distorted by atmospheric pollutants. The altitude reduces pressure on the ear drums so your hearing is improved. Higher highs, deeper lows, greater speed and clarity in the sound.

There. :)

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Amir likes crap summers and fish and chips.. the guys British, he must be some how..

I actually love the definitely defined seasons where I live..

I think @Dynamix wanted opinions on the measurements of the speakers he posted, sadly being a harman funded forum we all trolled the thread to death at the mere suggestion he might replace his JBL for a non harman product...

Hey now, I posted a link with a good set of measurements by the NRC and said they looked very good. Not everyone is trolling..............................well...not all the time anyway.

Top Bottom