• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Should I? Or no?

Dynamix

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I currently own a pair of JBL 4319's. But I'm thinking of selling them and buying a pair of PSB Imagine T2's...

Can any of you guys come up with a reason why I shouldn't?

Discuss. ;)

OP
Dynamix

Dynamix

img.php

OP
Dynamix

Dynamix

Not that's there's anything wrong with the JBL's, I just feel like maybe, possibly trying something else?

Because buying new stuff is fun..?

OP
Dynamix

Dynamix

Right, negatives with the JBL's:

-They are very unforgiving of less than stellar recordings (and I have a lot of those). They are called "Control Monitors" for a reason.
-They start rolling off at about 50hz. Not much bottom end at all, and subs are expensive.

And that's pretty much it... Hmm...

Last edited:

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Subs don't have to be expensive but setting them up right and running the software looks like a nightmare.. still some people enjoy learning so maybe that would be fun for you?

Also your speakers rolling off around 50hz might be a good thing, less likely to aggravate room modes etc

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
OP
Dynamix

Dynamix

Subs don't have to be expensive but setting them up right and running the software looks like a nightmare.. still some people enjoy learning so maybe that would be fun for you?

Also your speakers rolling off around 50hz might be a good thing, less likely to aggravate room modes etc

Pretty sure I'd have no problem with setting up a sub/several subs. And I'd probably enjoy doing it as well. It's all down to cost really.

Also, I might be moving in to a new apartment shortly, and my listening room will be twice as big as my current one in that case.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Specs say 38Hz on the JBL

OP
Dynamix

Dynamix

Oh, and for the record; I haven't actually heard the PSB's. Guess that should be first on the list.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Pretty sure I'd have no problem with setting up a sub/several subs. And I'd probably enjoy doing it as well. It's all down to cost really.

Also, I might be moving in to a new apartment shortly, and my listening room will be twice as big as my current one in that case.
Ok clever bollocks , You could make your own sub(s) ...

OP
Dynamix

Dynamix

Specs say 38Hz on the JBL

Yeah, 38-40hz, but that's at -6db. Either way, I had a pair of Klipsch Heresy III's before the JBL's, and they where supposedly -3db at 55hz. But subjectively (naughty word, I know), they seemed to dig deeper.

OP
Dynamix

Dynamix

Ok clever bollocks , You could make your own sub(s) ...

Haha, well drivers, plateamps, and plywood still cost money as far as I know. You have to remember that I'm a dirt-poor working class old punkrocker. And I need beer-money. :D

OP
Dynamix

Dynamix

Anyways, I haven't made up my mind yet, and I'm still going to wait and see how the 4319's perform in the eventual new apartment.

I'm really just asking if any of you guys who know much more about this stuff than me can see any reason why I should not consider the PSB's, I already know that the 4319's do a lot of things sooo right. But to me the PSB's look like a serious work of engineering at a good price, but I could be wrong though?

Last edited:
OP
Dynamix

Dynamix

And I appreciate all your input, so keep it coming guys! :)

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
https://www.parts-express.com/cat/powered-subwoofers/95

Dayton subs are so good for so little money it isn't worth building your own on the inexpensive end of the spectrum.

Ray can testify to that and provide measurements of them working as well.

I have used them in other people's setups and can say the 12 inchers are darn good for so little money. I believe Ray has the 15 inchers.

Top Bottom