• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Should I get an Amp/DAC for senn 660s?

markosixtynine

I'm a beginner looking to get into the audio world and i've found a good deal on some Senn 660s, and I want to get them. My primary use for them will be listening to music like most audiophiles, primarily just streaming from Spotify premium (side note, is it worth it to look into a service like Tidal, or does it not make a noticeable difference in regards to streaming quality/bitrate?) My secondary use for these would be competitive gaming like CS:GO as I've heard the 660s have a good soundstage and are real good at detecting footsteps and directionality of them.

This begs the question for me, is it worth it for me to pick up an Amp and/or DAC? I was just gonna get a standard magni/modi schiit stack but I want to know if this is even necessary for me. I'll be running the 660s from my PC, which is a custom rig that has an MSI PRO Z690-A motherboard. Not sure what exactly that means my computer is capable of soundwise and how much difference an Amp and/or DAC would make. I want very high quality audio if I'm going to be buying the 660s cans but I want to know if the Schiit stack would make a noticeable difference for me.

Any info or tips would be much appreciated, thanks

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The motherboard uses Realtek ALC897 on-board audio.
Stack of Schiit sound good :)

KeithPhantom

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I'm a beginner looking to get into the audio world and i've found a good deal on some Senn 660s, and I want to get them. My primary use for them will be listening to music like most audiophiles, primarily just streaming from Spotify premium (side note, is it worth it to look into a service like Tidal, or does it not make a noticeable difference in regards to streaming quality/bitrate?) My secondary use for these would be competitive gaming like CS:GO as I've heard the 660s have a good soundstage and are real good at detecting footsteps and directionality of them.

This begs the question for me, is it worth it for me to pick up an Amp and/or DAC? I was just gonna get a standard magni/modi schiit stack but I want to know if this is even necessary for me. I'll be running the 660s from my PC, which is a custom rig that has an MSI PRO Z690-A motherboard. Not sure what exactly that means my computer is capable of soundwise and how much difference an Amp and/or DAC would make. I want very high quality audio if I'm going to be buying the 660s cans but I want to know if the Schiit stack would make a noticeable difference for me.

Any info or tips would be much appreciated, thanks
If EQing, especially the bass, yes, an amplifier will come handy. If not, anything will drive them well at normal levels.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I'm a beginner looking to get into the audio world and i've found a good deal on some Senn 660s, and I want to get them.
Great headphones, grab them up and start listening to them on the PC.
If everything sounds fine to you I'd just kick back and enjoy them for a while.
If you hear anything you don't like, like being able to hear keyboard strokes in the music then you can start saving up for that DAC/Amp.
Besides the Schitt you might also look at some pieces from Topping. Any of the three below will give you State Of The Art sound.

The Topping G3 was reviewed here by Amir and can even be used mobile. SOTA performance for only $299

At $599 you can go upscale with the Topping A90

In the middle at $449 is the Topping DX5. It's just hard to ignore Topping in this component group. They're bringing so much excellent technology in at real world working man prices. It would be hard to go wrong with any of these.

Top Bottom