• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Should I get a DAC for my iloud mtm?

。。。

Hi everyone, I'm new here,can anybody tell me is there any audible improvements that a better DAC or audio interface can provide? For now,I'm using a SONY zx300 as an audio interface,and if there are audible improvements,what DAC or audio interface should I get? My budget is 500 US dollars and I want the DAC or audio interface to be as small as possible,cause my desk isn't that big and I need to transport them about four times a year. Any device would be appreciated.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
So that would be a non-EU NW-ZX300? (Spec = 2x 50 mW @ 16 ohm unbalanced / 2x 200 mW @ 16 ohm balanced.) With Pentaconn --> 2x XLR or TRS adapter cable?

Should be fine tbh. Keep computer volume a few dB below maximum as usual.

I hope you are still using the ZX300 as a DAP as well, given that it doesn't measure all that great and the proceeds from selling it should easily finance an audio interface or DAC that'll run circles around it in the measurements department (would a MOTU M2 or Schiit Modius be considered compact enough? Or maybe you can dig up a Focusrite Forte or similar petite audio interface). Not like I would expect anything plainly audible, but as an audio interface the $700 NW300 isn't even on the level of a $110 Focusrite Scarlett Solo, let alone a $170 MOTU M2, which seems a bit of a waste.

。。。

Thanks for reply. Yes, it’s a non-EU zx300 and I use a 2*xlr adapter cable for connection. The MOTU M2 has awesome specs and the biggest size that I can accept, however, given that it’s price is well below my budget, I’m trying to find out if there is a better choice that comes with better specs and smaller size. Can you recommend some audio interfaces and DACs for me? As for the zx300, I’d like to keep it as a DAP .
So that would be a non-EU NW-ZX300? (Spec = 2x 50 mW @ 16 ohm unbalanced / 2x 200 mW @ 16 ohm balanced.) With Pentaconn --> 2x XLR or TRS adapter cable?

Should be fine tbh. Keep computer volume a few dB below maximum as usual.

I hope you are still using the ZX300 as a DAP as well, given that it doesn't measure all that great and the proceeds from selling it should easily finance an audio interface or DAC that'll run circles around it in the measurements department (would a MOTU M2 or Schiit Modius be considered compact enough? Or maybe you can dig up a Focusrite Forte or similar petite audio interface). Not like I would expect anything plainly audible, but as an audio interface the $700 NW300 isn't even on the level of a $110 Focusrite Scarlett Solo, let alone a $170 MOTU M2, which seems a bit of a waste.

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks like the iLoud MTM uses DSP in its internal processing. The analog input will be re-digitized, and your DAC will most likely not be the bottleneck. Any competent ones (green and blue in Amir's chart) will do just fine (and be audibly indistinguishable from each other).

iloud.JPG

。。。

Looks like the iLoud MTM uses DSP in its internal processing. The analog input will be re-digitized, and your DAC will most likely not be the bottleneck. Any competent ones (green and blue in Amir's chart) will do just fine (and be audibly indistinguishable from each other).

View attachment 88704
Thanks for reply. I guess I’ll do something to improve the acoustical environment then

Top Bottom