• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Should I get a dac/amp or just an amp?

notheralmarco

Hi! I own a pair of Sennheiser HD 599 (50Ω). I used to drive them with my Behringer UMC204HD (which I mainly bought to record).
Recently I've figured out that they actually sound better on my desktop PC output. The bass is richer, the volume can get much louder without distortion, and they seem to have a little more dynamics.
However, medium-high frequency range still sounds better on the Behringer. Therefore neither of the dacs are perfect.

Do you think the problem it's just related to the crappy internal amplifier of the UMC204HD and I can easily have a better sound by adding an external amp to that interface? Or should I buy a completely new DAC/amp combo? As the line output of the Behringer is a bit low, it may not be able to fully drive an amp (?)

What product do you recommend me for about 150€/$?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
OP
N

notheralmarco

Since you have not just one but two solid enough DAC options, I would prefer a good amp-only. One of the usual suspects in this price range - L30, Atom, O2, that's pretty much it for models available in Europe I think.

Will the ~780mV RMS of the line output of the Behringer be enough to feed well the amp?

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Per Sennheiser's spec, the sensitivity of HD 599 is 106 dB SPL @ 1 Vrms.

Topping L30: Max gain = 9.5 dB = 3X → Max output = 2.33 Vrms → 113 dB SPL max volume
JDS Labs Atom: Max gain = 4.5X → Max output = 3.51 Vrms → 117 dB SPL max volume
O2: Gain is configurable → Max output = 7 Vrms (on AC power) → 123 dB SPL max volume

Bob-23

Will the ~780mV RMS of the line output of the Behringer be enough to feed well the amp?

You don't need another dac - as a dac, the 204HD is good! Headphone out - which is supposed to be primarily for monitoring purposes - is insufficient (at least, if you dial past 12). The Behringer drives several of my amps, among others O2: No complaints!

O2 is still a good and robust amp - with its solid metal case (Atom: plastic), and with its through-hole (thus, easily repairable) handsoldering it's the antithesis of all that throw-away BS. It's for those who value longevity (and opensource projects). O2 is well-documented on the still-existing site of the 'vanished genious' NwAvGuy. There are also kits available for those owning a soldering iron.

TeBheag

A Small Island to the West of Mainland Europe
I have an O2 running out of the Behringer UMC204HD happily driving a pair of Monolith m1060C's, occasionally Hifiman Sundara. All good. All controls are on the front of my O2 (Head'n'hifi model) which helps, as I also use the 204 for recording and the O2 sits on top of it under the computer monitor, restricting rear access, unlike my Shiit magni 3 with rear power and gain switches. So go with the guys suggestions of separate headphone amp, it works very well

Top Bottom