• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Should I forget about adding a new DAC?

redchiro67

Hi all. New here. Been reading quite a bit here and I suspect I know what the answer will be, but here goes anyway. I have a Pioneer Elite dvd-79dvi from 2006 that I use to play CD's, connected to a Yamaha a-s2100 integrated amp via rca in. My speakers are Polk LsiM 707. I also enjoy listening to my Sennheiser HD 650 headphones through the Yamaha's discrete headphone circuit. Presently not interested in streaming, but maybe at some point.
I have been wondering if a new DAC would be a worthwhile investment (improve sound quality)? The DAC chip in the Pioneer is a BB1738. This unit plays CD, SACD, DVD-audio and of course it does video, which I do not use.
I am also pondering if a DAC/headphone amp might improve on the headphone experience as well? So, I would need to decide between a pure DAC and a combo DAC/ amp, or heck, 2 separate units. Leaning towards just a DAC at the moment.
Not even saying I am unhappy with the sound of CD or headphones, just wondering if a significant improvement might be had for reasonable cash? Only paid 75 bucks for the Pioneer so there is some money available if it is worth trying. Budget would be 500-1000. Thanks to all, really enjoying this forum even though much of the content is above my pay grade.

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I doubt you'll get much benefit from the DAC upgrade. I feel very strongly you'll get real benefits from getting a headphone amp upgrade. So to satisfy your itch maybe a DAC/headphone amp upgrade. Too many strong candidates for me to pick one, but plenty are available in your budget.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi all. New here. Been reading quite a bit here and I suspect I know what the answer will be, but here goes anyway. I have a Pioneer Elite dvd-79dvi from 2006 that I use to play CD's, connected to a Yamaha a-s2100 integrated amp via rca in. My speakers are Polk LsiM 707. I also enjoy listening to my Sennheiser HD 650 headphones through the Yamaha's discrete headphone circuit. Presently not interested in streaming, but maybe at some point.
I have been wondering if a new DAC would be a worthwhile investment (improve sound quality)? The DAC chip in the Pioneer is a BB1738. This unit plays CD, SACD, DVD-audio and if course it does video, which I do not use.
I am also pondering if a DAC/headphone amp might improve on the headphone experience as well? So, I would need to decide between a pure DAC and a combo DAC/ amp, or heck, 2 separate units. Leaning towards just a DAC at the moment.
Not even saying I am unhappy with the sound of CD or headphones, just wondering if a significant improvement might be had for reasonable cash? Only paid 75 bucks for the Pioneer so there is some money available if it is worth trying. Budget would be 500-1000. Thanks to all, really enjoying this forum even though much of the content is above my pay grade.

If you are hell bent on seeing if a DAC between the CD and the amp will pay dividends, why not try one of the ridiculously good value $100 DACs from JDS labs, Topping or Schiit. They perform as well as many $500-1000 ones (past the point of audible transparency at least). Best case scenario, you notice an improvement (but I bet its not a huge one), worst case, you dont but you've satisfied your curiosity for a lot less than you planned.

EDIT- and yes, agree with @Blumlein 88 - so consider maybe the ludicrously good value Topping EX5 reviewed on here and kill 2 birds with one stone.

OP
R

redchiro67

I doubt you'll get much benefit from the DAC upgrade. I feel very strongly you'll get real benefits from getting a headphone amp upgrade. So to satisfy your itch maybe a DAC/headphone amp upgrade. Too many strong candidates for me to pick one, but plenty are available in your budget.
Thanks for your input. Good to know that a dedicated headphone amp could improve that experience.

OP
R

redchiro67

If you are hell bent on seeing if a DAC between the CD and the amp will pay dividends, why not try one of the ridiculously good value $100 DACs from JDS labs, Topping or Schiit. They perform as well as many $500-1000 ones (past the point of audible transparency at least). Best case scenario, you notice an improvement (but I bet its not a huge one), worst case, you dont but you've satisfied your curiosity for a lot less than you planned.

EDIT- and yes, agree with @Blumlein 88 - so consider maybe the ludicrously good value Topping EX5 reviewed on here and kill 2 birds with one stone.

Thanks. I will check out the EX5.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Thanks for your input. Good to know that a dedicated headphone amp could improve that experience.

I used the headphone jack if my Cambridge Cxa81 . And upgrading to a headphone amp made a noticeable difference.

I got a Singxer SA 1 that I use with a XLR connection from my streamer/DAC.

I'm not sure how good the headphone amp in the Yamaha A-S 2100 is but maybe you should upgrade the headphones first.

musicforcities

The above.

A good amp is the main “upgrade” worth investing in to make a difference. but there is little sense spending more than $100 to $200 (to start or ever depending). Try a well measuring $100 -$200 headphone amp as listed in this site. Such as a $100 schiit heresy or Magni 3+ or $139 magniIEM , $100 JDS Atom or if you want balanced, the Drop Thx 789 (reduced currently to $200, likely to compete with the $200 Schiit modius, also a good choice for balanced). All of these are excellent sounding/measuring and have enough power to drive your existing and nice Senns to their full ability. Or most any any other headphones one can buy at almost any price (with some extremely specific exceptions).

Then add any of the top measured dacs that are priced around $100 from the reviews on this site. They are effectively transparent. Spending any more is pointless unless you need something very specific, like balanced outs, etc and even then you don’t need to spend more. If the DAC does not improve your audio joy, just return it if you want.

Then spend the remaining $300 to reach the low end of your budget ($500) on a second headphone or two. Or things to listen to. Or a couple nice dinners out. Or several bottles of single malt to drink while enjoying the tubes. You get the idea

Last edited:
Top Bottom